Rennet/vegeren

Everything you were afraid to ask about cheesemaking!

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:40 am

Sorry I meant to add this to my last post, but RAW maik I can swim in but trying to track down rennet is a blinking nightmare. Does anyone have a site I can purchase it off?

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:04 am

Most helpful Rik, I will try asking for Vegeren but I dont hold out a lot of hope. When I asked yesterday for rennet I was met with a glazed expression and I think she was waiting for me to break out into fluent latin. Nil desperandum, I will have to travel into Hereford, the big City!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:08 am

WW.....

If you really get stuck then email me your address and I will send you a bottle.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:37 am

Thank you Rik most kind, but I really should be able to source it even though we are rural. If not, I have to go down to Cardiff next week and will get some there. Thanks for the kind offer though.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:18 am

WW

You should be able to get some here http://www.ascott-shop.co.uk/cat107_1.htm

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:29 am

Thanks Paul, most helpful again.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:34 am

Ascott is ideal for the beginner and Phillip is like Franco you can phone him up and he will help as much as he can.... every one is out to make money and Phil is no exception. He is convenient but you can get things far cheaper if you buy in bulk from someone like L'alliance Pastorale.

If any of you buy cultures from Ascott....don't go for their own make as these are not DVI's ( Direct Vat Innoculum) and you have to incubate theirs and then freeze the balance,

With DVI's you add them straight to the milk.... they are freeze dried and a sachet does like 50 gallons of milk.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:36 am

Ascott are great, I bought my Porkert from them years ago, and they've never failed to get spares to me in quick order.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Mon May 01, 2006 11:56 am

My Ascott order arrived on Friday, as did my parents and sister, so it's going to be tomorrow before I start.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Mum » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:08 pm

Probably too late for the OP, but you can buy vegeren from Sainsburys.

HTH :)
Mum
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:54 pm

I believe I have read somewhere that juice from a fresh pineapple can be used to curdle cheese, may be worth a try as a last resort. I think I will give it a go in Indonesia, as rennet or vegeren will be impossible. If anybody has tried this perhaps they could give us some feedback.

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby rich » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:22 am

Pineapple juice, lemon juice, or vineagar will ineed curlde milk, but does so instantly. This method is only good for making paneer.
rich
Registered Member

Postby Gail » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:44 pm

Rik vonTrense wrote: you can get things far cheaper if you buy in bulk from someone like L'alliance Pastorale.

I have the AP formagerie catalogue but I am not sure which culture/starters to order there seem to be so many available in the catalogue.
Can you give an idea of what you order Rik?

Thanks
Gail
Gail
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:12 pm

Dear Gail,
Rik sadly passed away at the weekend from a heart attack. I don't think anyone here has the knowledge to now answer that question.

Best wishes,

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:12 pm

Hello Gail,

Yes, this is a sad time for us, but Rik has left a wealth of information on the site. Perhaps you could outline briefly what you kind of cheese you are aiming at, we may be able to point you in the right direction.
I've made quite a few now, and all have been very edible. In fact, I shall start some more this week. I have a tub of goats cream in the freezer which I shall add to some goats milk to make a really rich cheese (I hope). the last goats cheese I made had an amazing flavour, quite strong and rich. I used Rik's Camembert recipe to make it.
Until a few months ago I had never made cheese, now I am getting requests to make some more because it tastes better. All the tuition came from this site, and although I have bought books since, I still come back to the recipes posted here.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cheese Making FAQ's