recipes for web site

Recipes for all sausages

recipes for web site

Postby Franco » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:47 am

We will be adding a recipe section to the website over the next couple of weeks, we hope that this wil be a comprehensive recipe library and would like all our members to submit any tried and tested recipes they have.

www.sausagemaking.org
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:58 am

Where should we send them.
Or do we just post them here?
Spuddy
Site Admin

recipes

Postby Franco » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:04 am

Please post all recipes on the forum and I'll paste them into the recipe section on the site.

Thanks
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Twoscoops » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:38 pm

Sorry I can't help, Franco. My only experience at making sausages is having a go at salami last winter - they were just OK. However, I intend to start making my own soon, and if you will be listing recipes I would love to see some recipes for merguez, boerewors, spicy Italian, chorizo and Lincolnshire. My butcher also makes a really good pork & bacon, which I may experiment with and post a recipe at a later date.
Twoscoops
Registered Member

coriander

Postby Franco » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:43 pm

When making Boerewors do you use roast your coriander seeds first?

Franco

www.sausagemaking.org
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:43 pm

You don't have to, but if you want to make an excellent sausage you can. Personally I just buy pre-ground corriander.
aris
Site Admin

Recipes

Postby Fatman » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:26 pm

Hello everyone

I think the forum is an excellent idea and would like to wish it and it's users all the sucess.

Here is my first recipe .

BILTONG

2kg Bushmeat or meat of your choice, beef is good to use.
250grms Sea salt
3 tbps Brown sugar
3 tbps coriander , crushed and toasted.
2 tbps crushed black pepper
4 tbps vinegar

Mix all together and brush mixture onto meat using a pastry brush, repeat this process until all mixture is used which may take a few days , annoy wife and place/hang meat in airing cupboard.Leave for at least a week or longer , shave meat like cheese (thin slithers) and eat as required. Verdict tastes bloody disgusting but my South African neighbour claims it is just like the real thing when I made her one for last xmas.
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:46 pm

Umm, bitong isn't a sausage :-)

If you want more detailed instructions on making Biltong, check my site at http://www.biltongbox.com/
aris
Site Admin

Traditional Boerewors

Postby Fatman » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:50 am

O.K. I think we all know Biltong is not a sausage, but eh this is a forum for like minded people.Well here is a sausage recipe sent to me of May last year by a 74 year old lady from South Africa.

Traditional Boerewors

2kg beef
2kg pork
20g whole coriander(50ml)
2ml ground cloves
30g fine salt (25ml)
5ml freshly ground pepper
500g spek (pork fat)
100ml vinegar
appx 90g casings

First prepare the coriander by scorching, grinding and sifting it.Cut the meat into 50mm cubes and combine with the spices and seasoning.Mince the meat and dice the spek.Add spek and vinegar to the minced meat and mix lightly but thoroughly. loosely stuff mixture into casings.Makes about 3.5 kg.

Notes: To scorch coriander , place seeds in dry frying pan and heat stirring constantly until they become light brown.Grind them in a blender or with a pestle and mortar.Pass the crushed seeds through a sieveto remove the husks.Crush 15ml of whole coriander to obtain 5ml ground coriander.Spek : Usually cut in slabs from the belly of a baconer.It is easier to cut if placed in the freezer for 30 minutes before use.Texture: Boerewors should have a loose fairly coarse texture, so use a sharp blade and a mincer plate with large(9mm holes).
Avoid overhandling as this will result in a polony like texture.

Send me a taste!
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:27 am

Yup, that's a pretty standard recipe. Personally, I don't like clove. Sometimes you see nutmeg in boerewors recipes too.

Myself, I like to season with ground corriender seeds, Allspice (also known as Pimento, or jamaican pepper), salt, pepper, and either malt or red-wine vinegar.

Allspice tastes sort of like clove and nutmeg, but isn't as strong. Much better I think.

As for the meat, you can use anything you want. Pork is best, but if you don't eat pork, try a lamb/beef mix, or anything you want - just be sure to keep the fat content at 20-25%.

Aris (who lived in South Africa for 12 years)
aris
Site Admin

Postby Shaun » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:23 pm

http://home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Sausage1.htm
Just come across this. A bit American but some interesting ideas.
Shaun
Registered Member

German Sausages

Postby Fatman » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:10 pm

Hi all

Being a bit of an anorak on the subject of sausages. I have a German farmer friend who is willing to teach the art of german sausage making to anyone who is interested.He is a farmer with his own pigs and who speaks very good English, living near the beautiful town of Hamlin ( Pied Piper).He also attends the local markets selling his products, this could be very interesting for a small party of people.

I also travel to Holland and France visiting Fete de Cochon , my last pig festival was in St Pon's in the south of France.

Interested parties get in touch.

I myself started my catering career in Hamlin selling Hot-Dogs to the general public, first with an all original American Street Cart, from there I returned to U.k. where I had what was probally the largest pig roast company in the south of England. On this subject I consider myself to be an expert (sorry that sounds cocky), so any questions on this subject feel free to ask.
Fatman
Registered Member

german sausage

Postby Franco » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:18 am

Let me know when you next organise a trip, I'd be very interested. I also plan to have some sort of forum members get together in the future.
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:32 am

That sounds like a good idea. We could all bring along our best efforts for each other to sample. Accompanied by lots of beer (or wine).
SAUSAGEFEST!! (sorry am I getting carried away?)

@ Fatman the trip sounds like a good idea too. Keep us informed. I'd be up for it.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Fatman » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:56 pm

Sure thing will keep you all posted!

The idea on a get together sounds good. Franco maybe you could offer a sausage or bacon curing coarse ??

I belive Maynard Davies is still alive and giving coarses.He has a book out now "adventures of a bacon curer" isbn 1-873674-64-3 price �9.99. He is probally one of the last traditional bacon curers of times past.He is contactable via his publisher Tel:01584 877456 .

I give his book 10/10.

The Cotswold Cookbook by June Lewis 10/10 probally the best cookbook I have ever bought.Full of old fashioned recipes including curing ham and sausage.

Rick Steins Guide to Food Heroes again 10/10 because I'm in it on page 230 and I featured on his programme appx 3 weeks ago.(my head is swelling)

3 American sausage books by Jerry Predika,Charles G Reavis and Chris Kobler these I rate 8/10

The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall I give 8/10 as in this great book he often refers to his other books which I do not have, in order to get certain recipes.(bloody frustrating that )

Saved the best till last, Jane Grigson's book titled Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery. isbn 1-902304-88-8 I cannot rate this book highly enough.

Whats your feedback guys on any of these or other books ?
Fatman
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes