Tuscan sausage help

Recipes for all sausages

Tuscan sausage help

Postby Adam from Barwell » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:08 pm

Hi all so I want to try and copy a sausage that the fam love. I was told it’s a Tuscan sausage with sea salt and garlic. It came in a ring and was quite pink-firm- course and fatty in a small casing like a chipolata. I’m new to making sausage so could do with a hand on quantities, someone has mentioned to put a pinch of cure#1 in as well, any help will very appreciated thanks
Adam from Barwell
Registered Member

Re: Tuscan sausage help

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:36 am

Is this a sausage you had in Italy or is it local to you? Did it come from a butcher shop or from a grocery? It sounds as if you will need sheep's casings to stuff it in and some cure #1 to make it pink. These two things make me think it is "Tuscan".
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Adam from Barwell » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:12 pm

Hi we had them whilst staying away, they were from a cafe/delicatessen, I asked if they were homemade and was told no they were bought in from a wholesalers, I guess I can try getting the salt and garlic correct myself but how much cure would you recommend using say per kilo, thanks
Adam from Barwell
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:59 am

Per kilo of meat I would use 2 g of cure # 1. For salt I'd use 13 g, 2 cloves of fresh garlic would be a good starting point. In addition, I would add 4 g of black pepper to balance the flavor. This will be a great learning recipe for building flavor with a minimum of added spices. The last thing I would recommend is the you treat the meat cubes with the salt and cure the day before you plan to grind it.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:04 pm

Where was this Adam? If we can find the product details it will help immensely. In the meantime NCPaul's suggestion is the best plan.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Adam from Barwell » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:10 pm

Hi guys thanks for your help, going to give ncpauls suggestion a try next week. Going to try and get the name of the cafe and just ask where they get them from! Might have been a lot easier :D , Thanks again
Adam from Barwell
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes