Ferments

All about bread

Ferments

Postby denty632 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:41 pm

So I’ve played with ciabatta today and intend to try sour dough again (I could never get a starter going!) but I’m looking at doing Pataquetas after watching hairy bikers tonight.

The ciabatta and the Pataquetas require a ferment. Why? What difference does it make?

Reading r/breadit I’m also going to give Joshua Weissmans burger buns a try on the weekend. https://youtu.be/gTGSUYMu6Ns

He uses a tangzhong almost like something you’d do for bechamel... again why?

r/breadit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Breadit/

You’ll lose hours on there!!
Tha Falklands Baker Boy
denty632
Registered Member

Re: Ferments

Postby wheels » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Is that the one where you partially cook part of the flour. I have done that and it makes a nice textured loaf.

The ferment adds to the taste and I find it helps with getting the large holes in Ciabatta.

Oh, glad to hear from you, I loved hearing about your life in the Falklands

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby denty632 » Fri May 01, 2020 2:08 pm

Thanks Phil
the ferment for the ciabatta makes sense I suppose, makes for a much livelier loaf. I made the brioche burger rolls this week, Recipe called for a 1 to 1 1/2 hr second prove. My gut told me too long, but I set it off and went for a dog walk. Came back to a massively over proven set of rolls. Tasted fine, looked like Sh*t. But yes you cook a portion of flour, water and milk in a pan to form a thick paste which you add during the final mix. I have no idea why...

I must look into re-kneading and re-shaping over proven rolls at some point, I can't see why you can't do it.

On a happier note, Milenasa (Argentine style) tonight so I promised some floury baps for supper, I thought lets see what I can make a bit different. Top google search result for floury baps recipe.... Wheels soft bread rolls! I can make these without the recipe these days, I've made them so often. So I guess that's an omen I should just stick to what I know! and they all love them!

Stay safe wherever you are, it's nice living on an island in times like this!
Tha Falklands Baker Boy
denty632
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue May 05, 2020 4:33 pm

You're certainly in the best place at the moment. We often reshape and prove bread because we've forgotten it. That Japanese process is to do with a softer dough and better keeping qualities if I recall correctly.

I'm glad you still like the rolls. There's been quite a lot of interest in them the past couple of months.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Bread Making