Pie and Mash on-line

Introductions and chatter

Pie and Mash on-line

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 29, 2006 11:03 am

I never thought I would see the day, but came across a site selling Pie and Mash, Jellied Eels, Stewed Eels etc.. on line.

http://www.eelhouse.co.uk/

Unfortuneately they won't deliver to anyone who live within a 10 radius of certain pie and mash shops, so that counts out most Londoners. Good idea for those who have moved away from London and yearn for the old tastes..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon May 29, 2006 12:26 pm

I make my own pie n mash. I think I've got it pretty much. I'm still experimenting with the pastry for the pie though. You can also use better ingredients that the pie shop. Well anyway we all love it.

I thought it a bit expensive to produce, till I saw the prices on that site.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 29, 2006 12:35 pm

I quite liked the look of the bowl of jellied eels for �35..+ p&p, I had a look at the price list for Billingsgate but couldn't find bowls of eels..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon May 29, 2006 12:39 pm

When I was selling seafood they were �7 a bowl, but you used to get �1 back for the empty bowl. As you can imagine this was 25 years ago. I dread to think how much they are now.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Mon May 29, 2006 12:52 pm

If anyone spots an online retailer of fresh eels I'd appreciate a nod. I love fried eels, but all the fishing around here is �100 a day (minimum!) with a 2 fish bag. They shoot at people for not having a ticket.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon May 29, 2006 12:56 pm

Eels are quite expensive these days, I pay about �6- �7 per eel.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Mon May 29, 2006 2:55 pm

Oddley wrote:Eels are quite expensive these days, I pay about �6- �7 per eel.

Most of them seem to end up in Holland.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Mon May 29, 2006 7:49 pm

Forgive my provincial ignorance, but what, pray tell, is pie and mash?
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 29, 2006 8:23 pm

vinner

If you click on the link on the first post and navigate the site, it will explain what pie and mash is, and the history behind it.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon May 29, 2006 9:58 pm

Well the bowls I use for my Stiltons to mature in are the jellied eel bowls that the stalls get them in.....

A young lady used to work on one and she used to get me a bowl every week at the cost of �20.......

The hold 3.75 kilos of eels and and jelly I think but the address on the lable of the non returnable bowls is....

BARNEYS SEAFOODS.
55 CHAMBER STREET
LONDON E18BL

PHONE 0207 481 2177

There was enough eels for a portion everyday of about 8 to 10 pieces.

I sent off for some pie and mash from that place by the Cutty Sark my son in law brought them home as he passes there I had a dozen frozen pies and bucket of mash and a gallon of liquor cost about �35....

Pie pastry was like concrete no fat or salt and the bloody meat was non existent.............NEVER AGAIN.

another stitch up merchant.....it used to be a cheepo meal when I was a kid...you got Pie and mash and a cup of tea and change from a sixpence.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

There's a place in the Elephant and Castle that sells very good pie and mash, according to my father. I'll find out where and post it for all of those who are into it.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Mon May 29, 2006 10:45 pm

vinner wrote:Forgive my provincial ignorance, but what, pray tell, is pie and mash?

Well I'll do my best to explain. Originally it was stewed eels and mash(ed) potatos with liquer, which is a parsley sauce. A cheap food for the poor.
Eels became scarcer, and were slowly replaced by pies of doubtful quality. The liquer was no doubt continued with to give a vein of authenticity, even though it is of no relation to meat pies in general as an plate partner.
Outside of London, nobody ever bothers with it.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon May 29, 2006 11:09 pm

pokerpete wrote:Outside of London, nobody ever bothers with it.

pokerpete I have noticed that you tend to make sweeping statement's that bear very little relationship to the truth.

Pie and mash if done right is a regional delicacy, that is served up all along the southeast coast as well as London. To my knowledge there are two pie n mash restaurants in Clacton and one a couple of miles up the coast in Walton on the naze for instance.

For our American members, pie and mash is a minced beef meat pie filled with a dark rich gravy topped with a parsley sauce made with an eel stock, served with stewed eel's and mashed potato's. Delicious when sprinkled with malt vinegar and pepper.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Mon May 29, 2006 11:26 pm

Oddley wrote:
pokerpete wrote:Outside of London, nobody ever bothers with it.

pokerpete I have noticed that you tend to make sweeping statement's that bear very little relationship to the truth.

Pie and mash if done right is a regional delicacy, that is served up all along the southeast coast as well as London. To my knowledge there are two pie n mash restaurants in Clacton and one a couple of miles up the coast in Walton on the naze for instance.

For our American members, pie and mash is a minced beef meat pie filled with a dark rich gravy topped with a parsley sauce made with an eel stock, served with stewed eel's and mashed potato's. Delicious when sprinkled with malt vinegar and pepper.

Pie, mashed potatos and gravy are common thing to eat everywhere in the country. I was referring to its origins for our American friend.
How can pie n mash be a regional delicacy?
BTW. The meat pies down south are rubbish.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue May 30, 2006 12:18 am

pokerpete wrote:Pie, mashed potatos and gravy are common thing to eat everywhere in the country. I was referring to its origins for our American friend.

Agreed, But not served with liqueur and eel's

pokerpete wrote:How can pie n mash be a regional delicacy?

As it seems to be only served in the southeast of England would this not make it regional. As for delicacy, that is a matter of opinion, and in my opinion it is a delicacy.

pokerpete wrote:BTW. The meat pies down south are rubbish.

Some meat pies are, I agree, some are not. You are obviously from up north and it's nice to see someone proud of their own regions food.
Oddley
Registered Member

Next

Return to Chatter