Salt help

General Cheese making discussion

Salt help

Postby Wohoki » Wed May 31, 2006 6:06 am

I know this has been asked and answered before, but I can't find the post.

I just made a stilton, and when I finished the make and tidied up I spotted the salt I'd failed to add. Should I crumble the cheese up and salt it, or would a brine bath do the job?
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed May 31, 2006 6:40 am

Don't know if this is what you are looking for.
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=1664

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Wed May 31, 2006 7:07 am

That's the fellow. Cheers Paul.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Wed May 31, 2006 10:50 pm

If in future you find that you haven't mixed in the salt then there is nothing to stop you from milling the curds once more and adding the salt and then going to press.........this is better that the brine bath because the curds have not been put under great pressure and the absorbsion rate of the salt in the brine bath cannot be judge but as it is a blue which is salty it doesn't matter so much.

I only suggested that the brine bath be used as the cheese was several days old and had been under slight pressure and it was the lesser of two evils.

But you can bear this in mind for future mistakes..............LOL :shock:
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:51 am

Thanks Rik. Lessson learned, believe me. I did feel foolish :oops:
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:59 am

Well it is nothing to really feel silly about as I have done similar things many times, especially when one is not concentrating , due to familiarity,

It is always best to check with your recipe as you go along making our your cheese log so by cross checking you eliminate mistakes.......it is so easy to get sidetracked and once your concentration goes you are in trouble.

I onced found I had ommited to add the Roqueforte culture at the adding culture stage before the addition of rennet so I had to add it at the milling stage when adding the salt. I made up a solution in a hand spray and sprayed the curds with that and there was no difference in the subsequent veining.

I made a three gallon Gouda a couple of days ago and was interupted a few times and never followed the recipe for times on raising the temp to 100F and the duration ofd washing the curds by diluting the whey.......
it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I have already discovered that the curds behaved differently and I had to pre press the curds in the mould as they would not all fit in. Also the pressing times and weights were altered somewhat and pressing went over two days.

I shall photograph the curd block later as it is now airdrying after the extended brine bath of overnight. I used a Nescafe coffee tin with the bottom cut out using this as a follower.....okay if you drink Nescafe as �7 odd a tin but expensice if you don't. They do make nice sized moulds for up to three gallons of milk, the reason my curds didn't fit was the extra cream used.

It's up already on the hard cheese but here it is again.....

,Image

'
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Chat