What's the difference

Recipes and techniques using brine.

What's the difference

Postby Patricia Thornton » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:34 pm

Salt beef

As I have just managed to get hold of juniper berries, I thought I would have my first go at making salt beef.

I rubbed my Maldon salt in to the 2.5 kilos of beef and put it in the fridge and went back to check the remaining ingredients as suggested by Oddley (posted 26th April 2005), when I remembered that Paul had also given me a link to a recipe he'd used (posted 9th December 2005) and decided to compare the ingredients. It was only then that I realised the former is a 'dry' method and the latter a 'wet' brine method.

I shall be grateful if anyone can tell me what is the difference between the two methods?
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:51 pm

As far as my experience goes as I have only tried the dry method by rubbing in and then bagging up in a vacuum bag for a couple of weeks and the Wet cure where a brine is made up and the meat is immersed in the brine for a couple of weeks.........

Both are taken out and rinsed and then cooked very slowly for a couple of hours at 80C.

The first made nice salt beef and the second made a nice ham.

The first using Franco's No 1 cure and the second using his Wiltshire ham cure.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:50 pm

Thank you for your help Rik; as always, it's greatly appreciated by this amateur.

I got my bacon cure from this site (I also got saltpetre) but it's the smoked bacon one. Do you think I could I use this in the dry cure for Oddley's salt beef recipe?
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:38 pm

I did Pat you do not notice the smokey flavour in the salt beef other than that why not follow Oddley recipe for the brine very closely and make sure your weights or percentages are accurate.

Bon Appetite...........
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Return to Brine cured meats