Kenwood Sausage Attachment

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Kenwood Sausage Attachment

Postby alison » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:01 am

Hi - does anyone know if the sausage attachments for the A950 mincers fit the older 701A mincers? Kenwood says not but their spares website seems to suggest that the mincing plates will fit, so I wonder why not the sausage fillers? I've seen pictures of the fillers and they all look the same in the photos. I think my mincer model is an A789. Alternatively, do the new A950 mincers fit the 701a? They come with sausage attachments, so I might treat myself for my birthday! Any guidance appreciated :D
alison
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:02 am

I'm afraid they don't. The mincer plates are slightly smaller on the 701A than the A950 so they aren't interchangeable. Although the sausage tube fits inside the fixing ring of the 701A you can't screw it into place onto the mincer. The lugs that lock the mincers in place are on opposite sides and the grooves that the kenwood locks onto are in different positions on the barrel and a different profile so the mincers aren't interchangeable either. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings...

However, the only reason the tube can't be screwed onto the 701 is a ridge on the plastic tube that you could easily take off with a few minutes work with sandpaper. You'd have to use your coarsest plate to keep the worm shaft centralised as the plastic one that sometimes comes with the tubes won't fit the 701. This is what I do with my A950 as I never got the plastic plate with the tubes.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby dougal » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:10 am

My understanding is that for a "700 series" Kenwood Chef mixer (like the 701A) you need attatchments with 700 model numbers. And that goes for the mincer fitting and the liquidiser fitting. (I think the liquidisers themselves share interchangeable (clear) goblets and lids, but there are various different liquidiser bases.)
However that "A" in 701A means that you have the "900" and "KM" style beater fitting...

There are usually a variety of 700 series bits, including mincers, on eBay.
dougal
Registered Member

Postby alison » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:21 am

ahh - thanks for the sandpaper tip Dave. You can get the new sausage attachments cheap enough for less than a tenner - maybe I'll have a go!

Dougal - that was my understanding as well, but the Kenwood spares website seemed to suggest that the 950 mincer would fit - says it is for "all models". But I bow to Dave's knowledge.

I have the mincer which i bought off Ebay, but the last sausage attachement that went on there which would fit is was for �19 plus postage I think. A bit steep for a bit of plastic!
alison
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:58 am

Hang on, I thinkk we need to be more specific here, I may have mislead you :oops: . I just realised I had in my hands an A789 mincer and an A920 the plates on these as I said are non-interchangeable but you could get a A926 sausage tube to fit with some sandpaper.

Looking on ebay I see A789 mincers and A720 mincers as well as the A920. I also see sausage tubes that are only suitable for the A950 mincer whatever that is. The construction of the A720 looks much more like my A920 than my A789 does so I wonder if they are more compatible than I suggested. Can you measure the exact diameter in mm of one of your mincing plates, Alison?. The A920 plates are 58mm across and the locating notch at the bottom is about 10mm across. The central hole is ~8mm in both plates. The A789 plates are 54mm across and the locating notch is about 6mm across. A950 screens are proper No. 8 size and are bigger again at 62mm across and a central hole of 9mm. Looking at a spares site the meat plates for the 720 and 920 are interchangeable so if you can get hold of some susage tubes for an A920 I'm sure they will fit or could be adapted to fit ie you want some A926's. Tubes for an A950 will not fit.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby alison » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi Dave, I think my mincer is an A789 like yours. It has a round hopper as opposed to the rectangler one on the 720s. I'm at work so cannot check the plate width at the mo. So if I am following correctly, the 950 tubes on Ebay are of no use to me and I need to keep an eye out for a 926 sausage attachment (which fits the 920 mincer) for the sandpaper treatment? I doubt to be honest if they will be any easier or cheaper to get hold of. Perhaps I'll just make sausage meat! :lol:
alison
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:42 pm

alison wrote:So if I am following correctly, the 950 tubes on Ebay are of no use to me and I need to keep an eye out for a 926 sausage attachment (which fits the 920 mincer) for the sandpaper treatment?

Correct. The 926 tubes come up every once in a while, I got mine for �2.99 if memory serves.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby alison » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:30 pm

thanks Dave. I'll keep my eye out. A case of watch and wait. I do have a hand cranked mincer with an attachment which, although is useless at mincing, does the sausage stuffing adequately enough for my small quantities. So I can mince with one and stuff with the other (sounds like something from Carry On), which is why I wouldn't want to spend a fortune on it.
alison
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:56 pm

Hi Alison. I have a hand cranked mincer/stuffer and all I do is get my butcher to mince to my specifications. Just choose a cut and have him run it through his mincer, either fine or course, and then mix and stuff at home. They will do it in supermarkets if they have a butcher, rather than just pre-pack section, just ask. It's common practice outside the UK to choose a piece of meat for mince and get it minced in the shop.

I decided long ago that, in an ideal world, I'd like to have a huge Reber mincer, and a stuffer as well, but I figured that I could buy four whole pigs for the same money. I know which grills better. :)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:04 pm

alison wrote:Dougal - that was my understanding as well, but the Kenwood spares website seemed to suggest that the 950 mincer would fit - says it is for "all models". But I bow to Dave's knowledge.

I think Kenwood may well mean for current or currently supported models - rather than "all Kenwood Chefs ever made".

I know that the mincer originally from the antique 7-series that I found in the attic has the 'pip' on the wrong side, and so will only mount upside down (haven't tried to use it like that...) on the weakling KM220 that I've inherited.
I'm certain the 950 will not fit your 701A (at the very least, not the right way up). So yes, believe Dave rather than take the website statement literally.

Plastic parts (like the tube) can often be 'persuaded' to fit - its rather more difficult with metal ones!
dougal
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:25 pm

I've just bid on a set of tubes in the States on ebay to get the insert plate to fit my A920 which may or may not fit anything we have :D. If it fits I will have a spare set of tubes to fit your 7 series mincer Alison, I 'll let you know what happens.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby georgebaker » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:45 pm

Hi
I have in my hand a 700 (786) and a 900 (950) series attachment (*& it makes it damn hard to type)

The 700 has thr pip at the bottom of the output attachment and a groove half way along its length all round. The 900 has the pip at the top and a dimple at the 9o/c position a quarter of the way in. The attachment seems to be about 2mm larger in dia.

The power take off lug is about 2mm larger across the dia on the 900 series than the 700 equiverlent.

The 920 mincer seems to be the same as the 950 at the point of attachment but has smaller cutting disks. The 950 tubes will fit the 920 but the slotted plastic disk that goes behind for stuffing does not. I think you could make it though if a set came your way at the right price

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:13 pm

I've just been outbid on the tubes in the States, it wasn't you was it Alison :lol:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby alison » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:02 am

Hi no - wasn't me! :D Last night I did what was probably the blindingly obvious thing to do which was to see if the attachment for my hand cranked mincer fits into my Kenwood and I think it does! If I do it carefully, it fits in under the front screw on bit which seems to cover it all over and lock it in place. I just need to try it out and see if it holds (didn't have anything in fridge to try with).
alison
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:00 pm

Good luck with it! Spuddy has very kindly offered to dig out and send me his old Kenwood tubes and spacer so if you need another tube please let me know.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies