Tonights dinner

Postby georgebaker » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:13 pm

Hi
thanks guys.

The word muffin in the Uk means different things in different places.

Where I am working now its a flat bread cake like an oven bottom but somehow different. They both seem to be a lump of dough just placed on a baking sheet. We have a number of other words for the same thing, stotty cake, bread cake, tea cake. Although tea-cakes in Yorkshire have dried fruit in them.

In other places it is a bread cooked in a ring mould so it is cylindical. The bread mix is differnt too but I don't know how but suspect has added fat.

In supermarkets a muffin is a cake (from the German Mufin I think) taller than its diameter, often with choc chips or blueberries. It comes in a waxed paper cup.

Two places separated by a common language. When you guys have talked about "butts" before I always thought you meant from the top of the hind leg.

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:54 pm

Here's a cornbread recipe I like to make...

Bubba�s Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread
(Bubba is the chef at Buddy Guy�s in Chicago)

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg
4 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup 7-Up (lemon-lime soda)
1 tsp. baking soda

Combine dry ingredients in medium mixing bowl.
Add liquid ingredients (reserve a couple tsp of the melted butter to brush on top of finished bread) one at a time and mix with wire whisk until thoroughly combined.
Grease medium cast iron skillet generously with butter or shortening and pour in batter. Bake in 350F oven until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Use remaining melted butter to brush generously over top of finished cornbread. Serve warm and store cooled leftovers in airtight container!
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:57 pm

And here's a more basic corn bread recipe...

Big Wheel�s Cornbread

I do cornbread like this: Put about 1/4 cup bacon grease in a cast iron skillet in the oven at 425F and let it heat up. While its heating take a large bowl and mangle together

1 3/4 cups cornmeal
1/4 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar

2 eggs, and enough milk to make it wet...about like pancake batter.
Mix it up good. Make sure the bacon grease is sizzling in the oven, then pour the hot grease into the mixture and stir it a little more. Make sure the skillet is still real hot, then pour the mix into the skillet and cook it in the oven till its nice and brown on top. When its done, cut it like a pie and slather up with some real cow butter. You can also substitute a little honey for the sugar. Now some of these Crackers claim it don�t need any sugar, but I like it better with a little sweetening in it.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:04 pm

"Slather"...What a great word! :D
Makes you almost hear that butter going on!!
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby georgebaker » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:06 pm

Hi
what's buttermilk?
George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:33 pm

Hi George
Here's a link on buttermilk:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/BUTTERMILK.HTM
You could probably look in the cheese forum and find out some more about it and its uses.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Big Guy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:04 am

I have a big crop of Jalapeno's this year I would like to smoke them. Could you give me the proceedure to make them into Chipolties?
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:08 am

Hey Big Guy
I haven't smoked jalapenos before (though I love them) and when I read your post, I looked and found a site with some directions on smoking them.
http://www.randyq.addr.com/chiles/chipotles.html
I think I might try this, some relatives have an excess of hot peppers.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Spuddy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:38 am

Another method was posted here on the Forum:
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... =6467#6467
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby wittdog » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:31 pm

http://www.mfbb.net/chiliforum/viewtopi ... chiliforum
There is the link to my pepper project...It took the better part of a day and a half to turn the japs into chipoltes...but it was well worth the efforts..they taste alot better than the store bought stuff..
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby DarrinG » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:21 pm

Hey Big Guy,

I just finished smoke drying a whole bunch of jalapenos. Since I have a similar smoker to yours I figure this method will work well. I had to use a electric hot plate in the bottom of my smoker to keep the temps low enough.

I then took my jalapenos and cut them in half and removed the stem. I smoked them for about 4 hours at 110 degrees. I then ran the smoker at 110 for about another day to day and a half until I had the peppers dry enough. I then finished them off sitting out on the counter for the rest of the week.

I haven't used them in anything yet but they smell great and I took a bit off of one to taste and it was really good.

DarrinG
DarrinG
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:14 pm

I am kind of late posting to this thread, but my two cents worth:

Corn bread can be really taken up a level or two in flavor by adding the kernels, freshly removed from a cob of corn, to the batter. Minced fresh jalapenos and or grated cheddar cheese always helps.

We do ribs, always with a dry rub, and always over a nut wood smoke (hickory or pecan) at 200 degrees F for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, until almost falling off the bones. Some would par boil the first for 30 minutes in simmering water with onions, garlic, salt and peepercorns, then smoke. I kind of think that is cheating, but it is, well, a foolproof way to keep the meat moist.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:06 pm

Thanks guys I'll have to wait until my Jalapeno's turn red. I have about 3 dozen plants and they are loaded. I also have another 3 dozen assorted Chilie peppers, from mild Aneheim to Hot Portugal. I make a big load of Salsa every year. Now I'll have Chipoltlies too. :D
Big Guy
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing