Kilner Jars

Introductions and chatter

Kilner Jars

Postby Fatman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:01 pm

Today I cooked off some of my Luxury Pork & Stilton sausages , then wrapped them in (uncooked) Dry Cured Bacon placed them stood upright in a small Kilner Jar ( fat of the bacon uppermost ) and then topped up the Jars with a good quality dripping .

If I say so myself they look "fantastic" , they will now be going under the Christmas Tree's in the homes of my friends and relatives.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:21 pm

They sound delicious are you going to post the recipe I would love to try them, also what do you mean by good quality dripping?
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:55 pm

Hi Oddley

I just added 1lb of crumbled Stilton to 15lbs of pork sausage meat mix together and stuffed using hog casings.The bacon was my own too, I used green bacon.The dripping I had rendered down using the fats from the pigs that I have used previously.

I must say this was a very easy thing to put together and the results look great, obviously it will be after Christmas before I get any response.

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Pork & Stilton

Postby Parson Snows » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:14 pm

Fatman

Other combinations/options that go together well are

1) Pork, Stilton and Port (6 %)
2) Pork, Stilton and Spinach (9 %)

For commercial recipes it is common practice to use 7 % Stilton Cheese, you are just a little bit shy of this (6.25 %).

hope that this is of some use to you

kind regards

Parson Snows
Last edited by Parson Snows on Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:31 pm

Thanks All for the info.

Fatman do you heat the dripping till it just melts before you put it in the steralized kilner?

Do you have to refrigerate the jars after they are filled or does the dripping isolate the sausages from air therefore keeping them sweet?
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:53 pm

P Snows & Oddley

Thank's for the ratio's , I consider myself lucky it was a pure guess on my part.

I placed a stainless bowl over a pan of boiling water , with the dripping in the bowl melting slowly like you would chocolate.

The dripping acts as a seal and gives you an appx shelf life of 3 months without having to refridgerate. But they won't be any danger they will last that long!!!!

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Anything else

Postby Ian » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:47 am

Hi

I have just made up the stilton recipe adding 70 grams of Stilton to 1KG of pork and added 30 grams of pre softened leek ie in the 7% and 3% ratios as above, the paties are bland and tasteless should I be adding other seasonings etc, or have you got a step by step recipe.

I am also making some pork, cider and apricot sausages for a BBQ tommorrow the paties are tasty but I will post the results from the unsuspecting gunie pigs :D if the results are good.

Thanks in advance

Ian
Ian Knox
Ian
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:20 pm

I would add the Stilton and leek to a favourite sausage mix, or at least add seasonings to the mix,

As the Stilton may be quite salty, maybe start with 10g salt and 2g pepper (plus any other herbs and spice of choice) to each 1kg of sausage-mix.

FWIW, personally, I'd use nearer 10% each of both Stilton and Leek.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Kilner Jars

Postby warwalk » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:59 am

Is a Kilner jar like what we here in the south call a Mason jar? (wait, I googled it... seems to be similar. We drink iced tea out of those things... crazy, huh?)
warwalk
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Yes, similar. It's whats used for 'bottling' (called canning elsewhere) things.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warwalk » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:34 pm

@Phil ~ I've actually wondered why we called it 'canning' here in the States when indeed it's a bottle (or, at least, more bottle than can, ya know?), so that's cool!
warwalk
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:38 pm

I guess it's 'cos the two systems are basically the same process.

Kilner jars can still be bought:

http://www.kilnerjar.co.uk/Range

...and a piece of useless info for UK members:

John Kilner (1792–1857), who invented the Kilner jar was Jeremy Clarkson's great-great-great grandfather.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Chatter