Old time English sausage recipe wanted

Recipes for all sausages

Old time English sausage recipe wanted

Postby pastorjackc » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:34 pm

I'm a New Zealander now resident in the US
We can't get good sausages here so I would like to get a recipe.
On a visit to England some 25 years ago we stayed at a BB just south of Dorsetshire. The lady who spoke what seemed to be Thomas Hardy dialect served sausages for breakfast and they were wonderful.
Just like we used to get in NZ pre 1965

HELP!!

jacknbettyc@adelphia.net
pastorjackc
Newly Registered

Postby David. » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:50 pm

I don't know what part of the U.S. you live in. Look for an Irish Butcher. The best sausage I ever tasted was bought from an Irish Butcher in Queens, N.Y.

David.
David.
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:09 pm

Hi There

Being a Cumbrian there's only one sausage for me that's Cumberland, please see recipe below

Cumberland Sausage
60% Pork Shoulder
15% Pork Belly
7.5%Rusk
15% Water
2.5%Spice Mix

SPICE MIX
72% Salt
13.5% Ground Black Pepper
4.5% Ground Nutmeg
4.5% Ground Mace
4.5% Ground Coriander

Parsley Optional

Mince all meats through 5mm plate
Take half the lean meats & mix with the spice mix & re mince through 5mm
Add remaining ingredients & Mix well
Re-mince through 5mm if required or leave for a coarser cut sausage
Fill into hog casings,
Cumberland sausage is not traditionally linked but left in the coil & sold by the inch rather that the pound.

As for the spice mix is seems rather salty to me so I would reduce the salt to 60% & add 12% corn flour to even the mix up.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby pastorjackc » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:49 pm

Thanks guys, that should be enough to go on
pastorjackc
Newly Registered

Postby dougal » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:40 am

Sage is probably the "most traditionally British" herb used in sausages...

But very fine mincing, quite high on fat, a bit of 'rusk' and quite a lot of water, well mixed to bind, will definitely get you in the direction on texture.
dougal
Registered Member

My british banger

Postby Ianinfrance » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:11 pm

Hi, my mix is spicier than those posted. If you want to have a go, do by all means.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

English Sausages (IMH)

british, pork, sausages

2500 gm pork, lean
2100 gm pork, back fat
40 gm salt; powdered
20 gm pepper; ground
1 nutmeg; ground
4 tablespoon sage, fresh; chopped
----OPTIONAL----
3 teaspoon ground mace
5 teaspoon thyme, fresh

Contributor: IMH

Yield: 10 lbs

** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.75 **
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Divey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:24 am

sausagemaker wrote:Hi There

Being a Cumbrian there's only one sausage for me that's Cumberland, please see recipe below

Cumberland Sausage
60% Pork Shoulder
15% Pork Belly
7.5%Rusk
15% Water
2.5%Spice Mix

SPICE MIX
72% Salt
13.5% Ground Black Pepper
4.5% Ground Nutmeg
4.5% Ground Mace
4.5% Ground Coriander

Parsley Optional

Mince all meats through 5mm plate
Take half the lean meats & mix with the spice mix & re mince through 5mm
Add remaining ingredients & Mix well
Re-mince through 5mm if required or leave for a coarser cut sausage
Fill into hog casings,
Cumberland sausage is not traditionally linked but left in the coil & sold by the inch rather that the pound.

As for the spice mix is seems rather salty to me so I would reduce the salt to 60% & add 12% corn flour to even the mix up.

Regards
Sausagemaker

I am brand new to this forum and very new to sausage making, I am finding reading some of the recipes more than interesting.
I am interested in the above recipe and would like to know what 'rusk' is?
Divey
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:11 pm

Rusk (readily available from this site!) is a form of dried breadcrumbs, but made without the yeast. It is possible to use other binders in a sausage recipe, however. I've used cornmeal on occasion but have found pre-boiled and minced rice an excellent substitute - especially for those who want a gluten free sausage. I prefer to use between 5 and 10% rusk and find this gives a good texture.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Divey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:51 pm

I notice that most sausage spice mixes that you can buy here have rice flour in them, would that be the same, or , do the same?
Divey
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Divey wrote:I notice that most sausage spice mixes that you can buy here have rice flour in them, would that be the same, or , do the same?

Not necessarily, it may be that the rice flour is used as a bulking agent in the UK we tend to bulk out with wheat flour or cornstarch.
If you have the ingredient declaration & usage they have suggested then please post it or send me a PM & I will look & advise accordingly.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Divey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:47 pm

I have part of a packet of seasoning mix that a butcher friend of my son gave me for making what we call pork sausages that a little bit similar to a cumberland sausage and the packet contains; flour, salt, emulsifier (4(not very clear)50, preservative (223) and spices.
This packet does not give the percentages of the ingredients, however, the butcher assures me that the flour is in fact rice flour.
Divey
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:46 pm

Hi
Divey

From the information you have given it is fair to say that it is a seasoning mix for useage at 2.5% and therefore would need some rusk or breadcrumbs to be added.
You can get the breadcrumb from Coles or Big W & use this in place of rusk for the Cumberland recipe I posted, & use the seasoning mix you have obtained instead of the seasoning mix I have written.

Please keep us posted as to your progress

By the way - what part of Sydney are you from, I only ask as we had family living in seven hills before moving up to the Mountains.

Best Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Divey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:08 pm

Hi Sausagemaker,

The seasoning mix has a very strong odour which is not pleasant. It does smell like pork sausages though, however, is really strong. I don't wont the smell of raw pork sausages 24/7 in our house. :)
I had the bag in the computer room while I was typing the last post and can't get rid of the bloody smell. :cry:
It also does not seem right to me to get hold of some commercial sausage seasoning mix and make 'your' own snags at home. I want to make my own snags with ingredients like you have listed.
Now I know what rusk is I'm into it.
I must admit being a little dumb regarding rusk. I can remember my wife cutting the outside edge (crust) off slices of bread when the kids were little and giving it to the to chew on. She used to call that rusk.
So what happens if I use that, put it into a blender and belt it up real fine?
We are on the Northern Beaches of Sydney, a suburb named Mona Vale. It is probably about 1 1/2 hours from the Mountains. I guess you are talking the Blue Mountains....Katoomba.

Regards,
Divey.
Divey
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi Divey

The crusts will be fine, as for Katoomba your spot on although she works there she actually lives in Hazelbrook about 10 minutes your side of it.

Best Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes