pepperette recipes plz!!!!

Recipes for all sausages

pepperette recipes plz!!!!

Postby colleen_67 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:45 pm

Hey there my name is Colleen from Ontario Canada. My boyfriend and I are looking for a pepperettes recipe. We have tried our hand at making venison and fish sausage now we want to try making pepperettes. Can anyone help us out I would really appreciate getting a good recipe.. Thanks a bunch.. Colleen
colleen_67
Newly Registered

Postby DarrinG » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:29 pm

Hey Colleen,

I'm just north of you here in Southwestern Ontario. The best pepperette recipe that I have found is out of the Ryek Kutas book. He calls them slim jims. I can post the recipe for you when I get home tonight but if you do a search for "Big Guy" he has a really good pepperette recipe. BTW he's also a fellow Ontarioian.

DarrinG
DarrinG
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:17 pm

Recipe sent.
I'll be making another batch next week and I am going to eliminate the starter culture and incubation and substitute "Fermento" in this recipe. I'll tell you how it turns out.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:28 pm

Here's a page with some more "Slim Jim" variations. Just scroll down to "Slim Jims" in the list.

Big Guy,
Very interested in your findings. I've made them only using "fermento". ( :D I'm a beginner and don't know any better) They seemed to turn out okay, but I've nothing to compare with.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby DarrinG » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:38 pm

Colleen I've sent you the Rytek Kutas recipe. Hope you like it.

BBQer how did you get the Northwest Smoking Page back? I've tried to use the web archive before without any luck. Bookmarked that for sure.

Also I have only done pepperettes with Fermento because the idea of using the culture and letting the meat sit at room temp to allow the culture to do its work scares the crap out of me. I know its a safe practice but I'm not skilled enough to try it nor let anyone I know eat it. One of these days.

DarrinG
DarrinG
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:33 am

Hey Darrin using starter culture is like rappelling over the edge of a building, after the first step it gets easier. LoL.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:54 am

Hey Darrin,
I had the original link in my bookmarks. Recently noticed it wasn't working and did a search for it. Never paid attention to the fact that it was now at web.archive.org 'til you just mentioned it. :oops:

Don't know anything about web.archive.org or how permanent it is. Maybe I'd better start saving the recipes in case it disappears again.

I'm with you on the attitude about starter culture. One day I'm going to give it a shot, but I've got to get my head around the idea a bit more first. I don't even know what kind of starter culture to use.

Big Guy,
Interesting analogy. Rappeling's a fun activity, but I've seen that first step drain the color out of grown men's faces and send them into a quivering panic.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:13 am

I've taken a few high angle rescue courses and the rappelling always sorts out the timid ones. Once they get over taking that first step over the side everything is Ok.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby DarrinG » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:09 am

I think I'll give it a go in the near future, but with a pregnant wife who insists on trying everything, I think I'll just stick with what I know.

DarrinG
DarrinG
Registered Member

Postby Lance Yeoh » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:12 am

DarrinG,
Would you be so kind as to mail the recipe to me as well? Don't mind trying them our as well. Thanks.
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby oldtex » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:17 pm

Could someone post these recipes? I"m wanting to try my hand at these next, my last batch of beef snacks were "OK" but lacked something...
~ Dave
oldtex
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:05 pm

Oldtex,
Here's the few I have (or go up to my first post in this thread and click on the blue text "Here's a page". It'll take you to a long list of sausage recipes). The ground anise seed in the last recipe adds a nice flavor element.

Slim Jims (10 pound recipe)

2 level tsp. Prague Powder #1
4 tbsp. paprika
6 tbsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground white pepper
1 tsp. ground celery
1 tbsp. mace
1 tsp. granulated garlic
3 1/2 ozs. kosher salt
1 1/2 ozs. powdered dextrose
6 ozs. Fermento
10 pounds lean ground beef

This is the Kutas recipe. The last two ingredients are for fermentation and
may be omitted if you don't want the tang. After you stuff the beef sticks,
he recommends smoking at 90-110 F for 8 hours and letting it go at this
temperature for another 12 if you want the tang to fully develop. Then you
raise the smokehouse temperature until the meat reaches 145? internally.

If you wish to modify your current recipe for the dehydrator, or use this
one in it (I highly recommend it, I've made it several times), just follow
the temperature guidelines - IOW, keep the temperature under 110 for 8 to 20 hours, then crank it up to cook the sausage at the very end. What you've probably been doing is following the same procedure as for jerky, at 145 until dry, and have been ending up with jerky in a casing. Beef sticks will not be as dry as jerky, hence the lower temperature. FWIW, I use the Prague Powder #1 and make jerky at 120 and it is much more flavorful than the stuff dried at 145 like most recipes call for. Under 140, the curing powder is absolutely necessary to prevent the growth of botulism.

Dried Sausage Sticks (Slim Jims)

For 10 pounds
10 pounds of lean beef, any type of cut will do.
2 level tsp Prague Powder #1
4 Tbsp paprika
6 Tbsp ground mustard
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp ground celery seed
1 Tbsp mace
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp granulated onion
2 1/2 ounces salt
1/2 tsp marjoram
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup molasses/Dark corn syrup/cane syrup
6 ounces fermento or powdered buttermilk

Partially freeze the meat, grind through small holed plate.
Add all spices above and mix very, very well.
Stuff into 24-24mm sheep casings or collagen casings. Preheat smoker to ~100 degrees, hang sausages inside and smoke for 8 hours.
Increase temperature to about 165 degrees and hold until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
Remove, cold shower until almost room temperature, dry and cut into 6 to 9 inch pieces.

Smoked Pepperoni Sticks:

Ingredients for 10 pounds:
I use lean pork butts or lean chuck roast, depending on whether I want pork or beef pepperoni
2 level teaspoons Prague Powder #1
4 Tablespoons salt
1/4 cup molasses/dark corn syrup/cane syrup... I prefer the cane syrup but's kinda hard to get in the NW.
1 heaping tablespoon ground hot pepper
3 Tablespoons ground mustard
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
6 teaspoons ground anise seed
1 cup of soy protein concentrate (or soy flour or powdered milk)
~ 1 pint of water, ice cold
6 ounces of fermento or powdered buttermilk

<My best was when I used 3 ounces of powdered buttermilk and 1 pint of clumpy (2 week old) buttermilk left over from a carton I had in the fridge. This is in place of the 6 ounces of fermento and the water... It is hard for me to get this, my wife chucks it if it's not all used in the first week, so I gotta bury it in the back...>

Grind the meat with a 3/16 inch plate and place it and all ingredients into mixing tub, and mix well.
Stuff into casings. I use 20-22 cm collagen or sheep casings.
Place the sausages into a 125 degree smoker, with damper wide open and no smoke until casing is dry.
Close the damper to about 1/4 and raise temperature to 165 degrees, applying heavy smoke. when internal temperature reaches 145 degrees, remove and rinse with cold water until internal temperature is about 90 to 100 degrees.
Hand dry, cut to size and package. This keeps real well frozen (if it lasts long enough). I usually just put in the fridge and let the kids snack on it at home or for school snacks. They tell me all their friends are jealous.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:03 am

Here's my recipe

Pepperetts

8 Lbs. Pork shoulder
7 Lbs. Lean ground beef
6 Tbs. Salt
9 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. Chile powder
1.5 Tbs. Cayenne pepper
1 Tbs. Crushed red Chile flakes
1.5 Tbs. Black pepper
1 Tbs. White pepper
1 Tbs. Prague powder #2
1 Tbs. Mace
1.5 Tbs. Sugar
3 Tbs. Ground Mustard
3 Tbs. Ground Coriander
6 Tbs. Milk powder
� tsp. starter culture
1 liter cold water

Grind meats through a fine plate, re grind to mix. Add spices and water, mix well. Dissolve starter culture in � cup of water and mix into meat. Stuff into 22mm collagen casings. Link into 10 � lengths. Incubate for 48 hrs at room temp. Hang in smoker and dry for about 1 hr. at 130 F, apply a heavy smoke for about 3 hrs. Cold smoke to 140 internal. Allow to cool. Then hang to dry to desired texture..
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:02 am

Big Guy,
What kind of starter culture do you use?
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby oldtex » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:23 am

Thanks!! That's my next project - tackle these for my daughter who LOVES the things...
~ Dave
oldtex
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes