I want to try chipolatas!

Recipes for all sausages

I want to try chipolatas!

Postby DarrinG » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:11 am

Alright now I've been watching a bunch of shows on the BBC and in every show that I've watched someone mentions how good chipolatas are.

Now I've looked in my books and on the site here but I can't find a chipolatas recipe. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe that they are willing to share.

Thanks

DarrinG
DarrinG
Registered Member

Chipolatas

Postby Big Guy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:48 pm

Here is a general description I'll look harder for a recipe.

In the United States, chipolatas are small Italian sausages made of coarsely ground pork and flavored with thyme, chives, coriander, and cloves, and sometimes red pepper flakes. In Britain, the name is often used more broadly to refer to any small sausage, but those in the know consider it to be a small, coarse pork sausage, generally including rice, and stuffed in a natural casing.

In France, it is essentially the same thing, although perhaps without the rice. When something is served � la chipolata, it generally consists of a dish of game, poultry, meat, or eggs garnished with braised chestnuts, small glazed onions, glazed carrots, saut�ed mushrooms, blanched and fried pieces of bacon, and fried chipolatas, which may all be bound up in a Madeira wine sauce.

In Italy, where the name originated, it is an onion. Well, technically not � the word cipolla is onion. And an onion stew that was served at least 350 years ago that was called cipollata sometimes or always included sausages, and it is likely that non-Italians (particularly the French) paid more attention to the sausages than the onions and gave the name of the dish to the sausages. Apparently the Italians were too polite to correct their guests
Big Guy
Registered Member

Chipolatas

Postby Big Guy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:06 pm

Chipolatas

Ingredients :

7 1/2 lb Pork butts
1 lb Pork fatback
1 tbl Sage
1 tsp Dried onion flakes
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Mace
1 1/2 tbl Salt
6 oz Bread crumbs
1 tbl Pepper
1 pt Water

Method :
This is the King of English sausage. The basic banger was created from this recipe.
1. Grind the meat and fatback through a 3/8 plate
2. Mix the herbs and seasonings in the water and chill.
3. Using a food proccessor emulsify the meat and chill.
4, In a mixer add the herbs, spices,and seasonings to the water then the bread crumbs
5. Chill,
6. Using 28mm casings, stuff the mixture into 1 inch links and cool.
7. Grill or cook in the oven and serve at once.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:13 pm

I'd always just thought of a chipolata as a small thin, basic recipe pork sausage, most often served up with the turkey on Christmas Day, so it's interesting to hear of its origins. Here's another recipe:

Chipolata sausages

makes 1lb

12 oz / 325 g minced pork

4 oz / 100 g minced belly pork

1 oz / 25 g gram flour

1 tablespoon water

1 small pinch each fresh coriander and thyme leaves

1 small pinch of pimento and grated nutmeg

salt and pepper to taste

Use the smaller chipolata skins for this sausage.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Recipes