curing times

Recipes and techniques using brine.

curing times

Postby roger evans » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:05 pm

I tried curing a leg of pork off a home killed pig for christmas and it came out still pretty much pork. the leg weighed 9 kilos and I was told the min cure time would be 3 days for each kilo. I followed the recipe for a wiltshire cure and the leg was fully sumerged in the brine with a weight. What went wrong? I still have the other leg in brine from 24th november but am concerned that it will be uncured
roger evans
Newly Registered

Postby jpj » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:10 pm

can you post a breakdown of the cure used, that'll help to get a better idea . . .?
jpj
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:44 pm

One rule of thumb I go on is is 10 days per kilo, or 11 days per inch at the thickest part, that's why bigger joints are often pumped to speed the process up.
Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jpj » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:37 am

pumping a wiltshire type cure is tricky as opposed to an immersion cure, as you have precious little of the stuff to cover such a large leg

though it's more expensive than a classic brine, it's still quite cheap (especially if you're making the beer also) and therefore worth making a larger batch than is required

and turn it every day

the cure used by roger evans may have been too small or too weak
jpj
Registered Member

curing times

Postby roger evans » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:41 am

The cure I used was 100g salpetre, 6 litres beer, 2kg molasses, 4kg salt and 12litres of water.The leg was then put into a tub in my garage and left for 27 days but was probably only half cured. The outside cut surfaces were very black and hard when it came out. I was told that if you did more than 4 days for every kilo it would be very salty and that 3 days per kilo was sufficient. roger evans
roger evans
Newly Registered

Postby jpj » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:52 am

with that much liquid, was it immersed constantly?
and were all the solubles completely dissolved?
dark and hard can come from burning from the salts used . . .
jpj
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:56 pm

Hi all,

For what it is worth I pumped my Wiltshire cure Hams before Xmas and immersed for 8 days. I had one of ish-10lbs (4830g) , and two of about 2350g each.

The big one was quite porky (in texture more than taste) and I think should have been in more brine for twice as long. The Smaller ones (I am told as they were presents) were much more Hammy although still not fully cured. I did have a fourth small one that was again pumped and immersed for 10 days and I'm told this one was superb. I did it on a hunch of these results and gave it to a mate to try. He said noone ate Turkey at his table on Xmas day! !!

All Joints were pumped to 110% of their weight with the brine then fully submerged and turned every 2 days.

I think next time round I will be immersion curing hams of about 3kgs for a month as I now feel that will be easier. I also felt that I'd be more comfortable if there was a real surplus of the brine available to the joint so I'll probably get a small plastic barrel/bucket to use.

These were my first hams and overall the taste seems to have ranged from half and half pork/ham to quite Hammy.

I hope this helps.

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Re: curing times

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:54 pm

roger evans wrote:The cure I used was 100g salpetre, 6 litres beer, 2kg molasses, 4kg salt and 12litres of water.The leg was then put into a tub in my garage and left for 27 days but was probably only half cured. The outside cut surfaces were very black and hard when it came out. I was told that if you did more than 4 days for every kilo it would be very salty and that 3 days per kilo was sufficient. roger evans

That cure sounds right, Could it have gone longer ? By which I mean was it the right amount of saltiness or could it have taken more?

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fallow Buck » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:46 am

I was reading one of HFW's books last night and it gave the recipe for a basic brine cure. The same cure/brine was used for both green bacon & salt pork then with flavourings for hams.

The salt pork recipes had 3-4 days/Kg and the hams were left for 10-11 days/Kg.

The brine cure looks very similar to the one used here although I don';t remember he exact recipe of the top of my head.

RGds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Return to Brine cured meats