Saveloys

Recipes for all sausages

Postby aris » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:11 pm

Saveloys... or as my young niece calls them - dogs penises.

Ok, give her a break - both her parents are vets :-)
aris
Site Admin

Postby Del » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:39 pm

now all becomes apparent,and I can try to make the recipe without looking backwards and turning the whole thing into a block of salt,thanks a lot Del
Del
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:24 pm

Del if you make them please post on the forum how they came out as I have not had time to make them myself yet.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:26 pm

Me too, always wanted to but never bothered. Yet one of my favourite childhood chip shop memories (as I was never fond of battered anything). They don't seem to taste as good whenever I buy one these days (they're all pink and rubbery and I remember the colour to be more orange/red and, if I'm not mistaken, a real smoke flavour). Is it my taste buds changing or are the commercial ones really not as good as they used to be. If not then all the more reason to make some.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Saveloy Recipes

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:26 am

If you follow the instructions then everything should turn out fine, however, if the consensus is that it wasn't quite right I have other saveloy recipes that I will gladly post here.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

saveloy sausage

Postby Del » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:49 pm

thanks for the info.I will let youknow how it goes Del
Del
Registered Member

Saveloy

Postby Parson Snows » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:14 pm

With pictures of the finished product if at all possible.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

saveloy sausages

Postby Del » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:13 pm

I really can't wait to try the recipes,however where I live tne outside temperature at this moment is minus 39degrees C. and even with pleading to the almighty there is no way my smoker will function. So I have to wait till the summer reverses my temperatures to the plus side.HappyNew Year and caseing stuffing to you all,Del
Del
Registered Member

Postby Vernon Smith » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:41 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm ready for my next project (a bunch of savs). Smoke house at the ready, plenty of meat, boiled rind, seasonings and LITES. One of my recipes mentions lites - to me this means lungs and no other offal and I am at sixes and sevens on how to use them in the savs (waste not want not). An article from the USA mentioned cooking lites several times to get rid of the bad smell and taste caused by the surfactant in the bronchi and alveoli I guess. I tried some a while ago and of course the lungs turn grey when cooked so that might not be good in a pale pink saveloy. I had thought of cutting them up and brining then mincing or just mincing and thoroughly washing but I simply don't know. Has anyone any information on this subject please? I'm absolutely dying to try the savs but I want good savs.
Regards,
Vernon Smith
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby Vernon Smith » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:21 pm

Just over a year behind schedule I made some saveloys yesterday. Followed the recipe and cooking instructions to the letter. Lightly smoked then poached at 75 deg. Definitely not right! Smoky, yes; red colour, yes but that's about all. The salt was overwhelming and the sausage didn't hold together when the skin was removed hot. I didn't use lites in case the flavour contaminated the sausage. I just used meat, fat & rusk in the proportions 8:2:4 respectively. Has anyone tried savs with better results? I would like some advice before I try again. Pic below for what it's worth. Very disappointed.
Vernon

Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby Wal Footrot » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:31 am

When you poach them preheat to water to no more than 75 degrees (I only go to 70) leave the stove going and drop in the sav's. The water temperature will drop immediately. When the water temp comes back up to 70 then they should be poached just right. This takes about 15 minutes and never any more than 20. I got this advice from a butcher in Tas who makes the best sav's I've ever tasted here in OZ. If you overcook them then yes, they will not hold together as well.
Wal Footrot
Wal Footrot
Registered Member

Oddley's Savaloy's

Postby wallie » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:26 pm

Hi Oddley
Did you ever make the Savaloy's?
If so how did they come out and which of Parson Snow's seasonings did you use.
Just asking because I too used to love them when I was a kid.

wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:03 pm

Hi wallie,

Nope, I'm still experimenting. Can't seem to get the taste right. I think I've about got the texture. I'm using the same technique as making the Grandpas Jumbo Sausage. This give a similar texture to what I remember.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Vernon Smith » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:10 pm

Oddley my dear chap, so glad to see your posting. Thought you had departed along with Paul Kribs and the other absentees. Hope all is well with you. Have you seen Wal's postings under the title "My First Batch of Saveloys"? He seems to have been successful. I will try his recipe with reduced salt when I off my next pig probably next month. I will add some beef too I think. If you do your savs before do mine please let us know how you get on.
Vernon
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:50 pm

Will do Vernon.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Sausage Recipes