Commercial Burger Recipe Required

Recipes for all sausages

Postby saucisson » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:50 am

I worry that you will not get a commercial burger recipe off this site :) .

If I take Tesco Value Stewing Beef and mince it, and add nothing else, I get a better burger than any commercial burger I have ever tasted.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby trotters independant » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:12 pm

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:50 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I worry that you will not get a commercial burger recipe off this site .

Hi Dave

I hope you are not laying awake at night worrying about this!!! :lol:

I know there is not a lot to the recipe, like you say anything tastes better than a commercial one, its just getting a proven recipe that cook well without breaking up on the bbq!!
trotters independant
Registered Member

Postby hoggie » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:19 pm

Imagei didn't take any pics of my burgers, but these are my lorne sausage. they don't fall apart, and are so tastie.
hoggie
Registered Member

Postby trotters independant » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:36 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmm look great hoggie, is that using the recipe you posted before???

hi, this is my take on a good burger. 1kilo minced beef, 13grams of onion granules, 10grams of salt, 2grams of pepper. simple but so tastie.
trotters independant
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:46 pm

Hi trotters, no I was up late, young family and all that :)

I think there will be a trade off between a homemade burger that cracks or splits and a commercial one that doesn't. My son prefers the one's I make even if they look funny once they are cooked.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby trotters independant » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:10 pm

saucisson wrote:I think there will be a trade off between a homemade burger that cracks or splits and a commercial one that doesn't. My son prefers the one's I make even if they look funny once they are cooked.

Thinking maybe I will try some of the recipes posted, can always griddle them, that way they should cook better!!

Oh glad you have young family keeping you awake and not my postings!! have 2 myself (must admit, push the wife out of bed at that time of the morning :oops: )
trotters independant
Registered Member

Postby hoggie » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:23 pm

hi trotters independant, no the pics were of lorne sausage, minced beef brisket and mixed with traditional beef seasoning bought from this site. the recipe i posted is in my opinion one of the best i have tasted. if you mince your own brisket you will have no problem with them falling apart. give it a go you will be surprised. cheers hoggie.
hoggie
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:05 am

With regards to the falling apart.

You may find if you freeze the mince before mixing it and forming the burgers it will bind better, without scrificing .

It worked with the Lamb we used when making doner kebabs so might be worth haveing a go with.

Just an idea,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby JohnBKK » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:36 pm

hi trotters independant,
making burgers commercially is a different ballgame altogether than making them at home for your family.
Rule NO. 1 consistancy - they have to be the same all the time

Rule NO. 2 low cost but good taste and texture - use the cheapest cut of beef you can get, like chuck steak which has also the most flavour and make sure (add if necessary) you have at least 20% - 25% fat (fat = flavour and you did not metion that you are in te health food business )
Usa up to 0.5% phosphate (its not unhealthy and there is more in vegetables than wil be in your burgers) to achieve "bite" / texture and reduce shrinking -
The original Hamburger comes from Germany and is actually made of pork with bread soaked in milk or water, onions, parsley and some caraway seeds. Its delicious and we are producing tons of them every month, selling them in Bangkok supermarkets and to Hotels for their buffets.
Some time in the past a chap called mcdonald turned this great Hamburger into a UFO (unidentifyable food object)
YOU GET AS GOOD A PRODUCT AS THE RAW MATERIALS YOU PUT IN
JohnBKK
Registered Member

Peanut butter burgers

Postby wallie » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:03 pm

Peanut Beef Bugers
Dont laugh this really tastes better than it sounds. The peanut butter gives the burger a deucedly nutty taste, and it's a very juicy burger. Really.
I prefer using the ground sirloin
1-1/2 lb lean mince or ground sirloin
1/4 c smooth peanut butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic
2 T butter, very soft

Combine all ingredients and shape into patties. Refrigerate patties for at least two hours. (Chilling the patties helps hold thier shape while broiling).
wallie
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:40 pm

That's a timely post, JohnBBK has been tempting us to put nuts in sausages and I was just wondering if I could use peanut butter as a cheap and easy way to get emulsified nuts. Now you're telling us to put it in burgers :D I'll have to try both now.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby JohnBKK » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:03 am

Hi all.
I would be a little careful with the Peanuts and certainly Peanut butter in sausages due to their flavor and the sweetnes of the peanut butter.
As far as burgers are concerned, in Thailand, a lot of meat dishes are served with peanuts and for example "Moo Sattee" BBQ thin slices of Pork on a skewer come with a peanut sauce which is ground peanuts with red thai curry paste - fresh coriander lime juice palm sugar and chillies - I have made BBQ Pork Burgers Thai style by incorporating this sauce into the mix and they were great - with beef though I would leave out the sugar - Pork & sweetnes go well together (see Apple sauce or onion marmalade) but beef and sweetnes ...... hmmmm .... reminds me of a French Hamburger I had once out of desperation on a french motorway service station and after the first bite realized that the meat must have come from an animal that used to wear a saddle before it became mince. Sweetish and quite reddish in colour = Horse.

In the end its all a question of personal prefference though 8)
JohnBKK
Registered Member

Postby wallie » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:39 am

I can assure you John no sweetness from the peanut butter is noticeable.
After all it is only 2oz to 24oz of beef.
I like my burgers loosely packed and the peanut butter does help to keep them together.
Not like the densely packed mass produced type which are like slices of a meat loaf.
Talking about sweetness a couple of years ago I was in Washington DC and I had the best beef short ribs I have ever tasted they were honey and port beef short ribs.

By the way I made the bratwursts following your recipe and they came out great, I had only made a small batch but I will definitely make them again and it will be a big batch.

Cheers
wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby JohnBKK » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:30 am

Hi Wallie,
glad you liked the result for the Bratwurst. As to the burgers, I use old fashioned eggs if I make them for myself, even in my commercial pork burgers I use 8 eggs / 10KG pork which binds them nicely without turning them into UFO's - with beef burgers I would use eggs for my private use and a little phosphate for commercial large volume production (cost effective) however most of my customers are 5 star hotels and a high end supermarket chain and they don't worry too much about the cost, so I use eggs for a firm burger with perfect texture.
We just vacuumed the liverwurst I made today and I have a loaf of baguette waitingfor this evening :lol:
JohnBKK
Registered Member

Postby markgadd » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:39 am

On sweetness what about beef and chocolate.
One of our grandkids insisted on making choclate bread in he bread maker and being not wasteful I had the resulting bread in my packup with beef, it was alot better than I thought it would be.

Don't they put chocolate in chili con carne !

Mark.
markgadd
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Recipes