Brisket for Corned beef

Recipes and techniques using brine.

Brisket for Corned beef

Postby wallie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:20 pm

I have ordered a whole brisket from my butcher and would like advice on butchering it for corned beef and pastrami.
A point to any websites on butchering would be welcome.
Thanks
wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby Bad Flynch » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:47 pm

I haven't been on this forum for some time, so this is late. Although I am not a butcher or a meat cutter by trade, I do buy my own brisket and cut it up for corning. Here is what I do.

The brisket, as cut in the U.S., comprises two muscles: the flat plate and the Deckle (or point). The flat is the largest part and the leanest; the deckle or point is fattier, tastier, and smaller. The typical commercial brisket is usually very fatty and needs vigorous trimming.

Pick your brisket, if you have the option, so that the muscles are thick and blocky. It is normal for the small end of the plate to taper down. You will probably want to separate the two muscles, and then cut the plate in half if it is large. Then trim the fat so that you have a bout 3/16" or so of fat. Do not remove all of the fat, especially on the flat; it will ruin the flavor.

You now should have three pieces of brisket. I suggest corning all three pieces, using the point and smaller end of the flat for cooking corned beef and cabbage or corned beef hash, etc. The neatest part is the large end of the flat and that slices up nicely for sandwiches.

This late, but I hope it helps.
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Return to Brine cured meats