Got a deer now have to get ready to make it

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Got a deer now have to get ready to make it

Postby veener79 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:53 pm

I just got my first deer yesterday and I dropped it off with a butcher shop after I did check in. I got about a 1.5 year old buck and dressed out it was still around 100lbs. Since it is so young most of it is all going to steaks. What ever meat can not be made into cuts is going to be ground up for what ever I want to make it into.

The good thing with the 2 hogs we got this fall I have a lot of pork that needs to be ground for suasge and I want to do a mix of deer and pork. I am just wondering does anyone have a good recipe for a mix of venison and pork.

I am not sure what flavor I want to go for but I want to make sure I can get the taste of the venison most of all.
veener79
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:12 am

Veener,

I mix all my venison with pork when sausage making to give the sausages the required fat content. As for recipes, to be honest I tend to make each batch with what I have handy. I often blitz up fresh herbs such as Thyme, rosemary, parsely. I used Dried Mint and whitepepper a lot and also Mace and cinnamon also make their appearences. Sage you can't go wrong with and a little allspice/ginger can give an edge to robust game meat.

I often do two batches and in one I'll add some blitzed up chillies and the other I'll leave just with the herbs and spices.

There are a few recipes posted on the site, but I enjoy making it up as I go along, then I can tweak at the "quality control" phaze when the pan comes out... ;) The only problem is in replicatig the good ones!!

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby earl grey » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:20 pm

We generally use a quantity of very fatty beef to add to pork/venison - mainly as it is quite difficult to get hold of sufficiently fat pork.

Amended boewors recipes work well with this combo. We only put the venison through the coasre plate and then mix with the pork/beef prior to stuffing.

It is worth while working on the venison to remove as much sinew as possible prior mincing. The sinew is very err, sinewy and clogs things up very well.
earl grey
Registered Member

Just finished mine

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:45 pm

I just finished mine,

For the sausage we always add pork, one year we did not (the first) and it was like cardboard. Pork fat rules, a minimum or 20% pork is needed by my humble opinion I like 30%, it still gives the deer a wonderful flavour and is a nice balance. We went with a Italian style sausage;

15 pounds of deer, all fat and tallow removed
7 pounds pork shoulder (no skin)
150 grams kosher salt
75 grams paprika
20 grams cayenne pepper
75 grams oregano
75 grams fresh garlic
75 grams dehydrated onion
75 grams whole fennel seed
75 grams crush coriander
75 grams course black pepper
500 ml of ice cold water
500 ml of port wine

(Sorry no rusk here)
called for 75 grams of crushed red chile flakes but we omitted as there a people with sensitive plaits. Mix and stuff, was just fracking fantastic 8)
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats