Grandpa Jumbos Polish Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Postby johnfb » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:11 pm

Looked at these on you tube...I am so jealous...this is the life I want...Excellent...excellent...excellent...I am soooooooo jealous :lol:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby lemonD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:05 pm

Wittdog,
Do you know the % protein content of the soy protein you use, as I'm trying to source the equivalent in the UK.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:17 pm

lemonD
I asked this question earlier :lol:
Oddley suggested here:
Link to Scobies Empro Soya Plus
It's used at 2-3%.
Oddley posted this revised recipe which uses it:
Grandpa Jumbo's Polish Sausage ( Final)

Fresh

Ground pork (75% VL)

Of Meat/Fat
10.1411 % ice water
2 % Non Iodized Salt
0.3527 % Sugar
0.3307 % Black Pepper
0.1102 % Garlic Powder or (Use fresh garlic at 0.22%)
0.0287 % Marjoram
0.0573 % ground Allspice

For smoked use all ingredients above plus the smoked ingredients.

Smoked
Of Meat/Fat
2.0 % Soy Protein
0.265 % Prague #1 (Franco's at 5.8824% Nitrite) 156 ppm
0.0441 % paprika
0.05 % Smoke powder

Method for Smoked
Grind cold meat and fat through a no: 8 mincer plate. Put cold meat into the mixer with the K beater attached and the add water, mix on speed 1 for about a minute. Now add everything else except the soy protein and mix for about another minute or until the meat changes texture and becomes slightly sticky. Now add the soy protein and mix until the flour is absorbed about 10 - 20 seconds. Fill hogs casing.

Tie sausage into about 10" lengths, tying off with string. Tie sausages to the bottom of a rack in the top of the oven, set your oven to the lowest setting about 130 C and leave the door open a crack. When the temperature of the bottom of the sausage reaches at least 67C about 3-4 hours take out and immerse in ice cold water until the temperature reads 43C Allow to bloom till desired colour is reached. Place in Fridge overnight. Then cook or vac Pac.

You could, of course, leave out the smoke powder and smoke it as per wittdog's original instructions.

Hope this helps
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby lemonD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi Phil,
I was about to order the Empro +10 however after a bit of searching it's not soy protein concentrate, in fact it has less protein than tesco's value dried skimmed milk.
Empro +10 is by my reckoning a mix of 70% wheat flour (10% protein)and 30% Isolated soya concentrate (80% protein).

Scobies now do Empro's with higher protein contents up to 90%+.

Soy protein concentrate is listed by USDA as 58% protein.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:11 pm

It's pretty obvious, that the empro linked too, is not soy protein concentrate, It states quite clearly in the ingredients declaration it is, Wheatflour, Isolated Soya Protein. With the wheatflour being first declared ingredient, it is the largest contributor to the product.

That being said, it does what it says on the box and works very well in Grandpa Jumbos Polish Sausage and all the others I have tried it in. For six and a half quid it will do an awful lot of sausages.

As the other Empros on the scobies site come in 20kg sacks and cost between £63 and £79 I don't think I will be buying one.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:51 pm

Hi Oddley,
After a bit more searching butcher & packer's SPC is 69% min protein, which answers my original question.
I think this exercise is going to be like our American members trying to find rusk :D
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:56 pm

lemonD:
I hope the Empro +10 works I've got 2.5kg of the stuff! If not :cry:
How about the Empro +20; that's stated at 70% protein? Mind you 20kg makes heck of a lot of sausage :lol:
The +20 is the same % protein as the stuff sold by Butcher and Packer in the US.
I'll have to use the Empro - if Oddley says it's OK, that's good enough for me. When I asked Wittdog, earlier in this thread, he said:
wheels you can either use the soy or powdered milk in the same measurement
so that may be the most practical solution for now.

Regards

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby lemonD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:59 pm

lemonD
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Phil,
Your far too quick for me, I gonna have to get 18mb broadband :D

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi lemonD

lemonD wrote:Hi Oddley,
After a bit more searching butcher & packer's SPC is 69% min protein, which answers my original question.
I think this exercise is going to be like our American members trying to find rusk :D

Yes I think you are right. I did have a look round before setteling with Empro Soya Plus 10, which was a new product on scobies when I bought it. The Empro Soya Concentrate 20, looks a better quality product, but it's £70.

For further info, the Empro Soya Plus 10, does seem to have good binding qualities, and It seems to absorbs 5 times its weight in water.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:39 pm

Oddley

Just for my further sausagemaking education - can you advise on the advantage of the Empro over, say, dried skimmed milk powder please?
Do both have a similar effect in 'holding' the fat when smoking?

Thanks

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Oddley » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi wheels,

I'm sorry I have no idea. I can't smoke as I live in a small flat in central London. So I've never really experimented with milk powder.

For a professional view, I think the person to answer this, would be sausagemaker.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:22 pm

Thanks anyway Oddley

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby fremented » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:12 pm

Thanks Big guy for sharing, this is very good too! A little different then wittdogs polish, but this is very good too.

Big Guy wrote:I'll have to try your recipe, It's close to my smoked sausage recipe.

Smoked Sausage

15 lbs. Pork butts
4 Tbs. Salt
3 tsp. prauge powder #2
2 Tbs. Black pepper
1- 1/2 Tbs. Ground caraway
1- 1/2 Tbs. Ground coriander
1- 1/2 Tbs. Garlic powder
1- 1/2 Tbs. Mace
1- 1/2 quarts ice water
1 cup Soya Protein concentrate
1 cup skim milk powder

Grind all meat through a coarse plate. Add ice water then spices mix.
Stuff into natural hog casings. Let sit overnight to blend spices and set the links. Smoke for about 6 hrs at 150-180 degrees until the internal temp reaches 152 F Quench in ice water and let hang at room temp for an hour to desired colour is reached. Vacuum pack and freeze.
fremented
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:18 pm

Oddley wrote:If you haven't tried these yet, I recommend you do so.

I have made these a few times and they are great. Reminiscent of a saveloy texture if done right. I don't have a smoker so have devised this method of doing them.

Grandpa Jumbo’s Polish Sausage ( Final)

Fresh

Ground pork (75% VL)

Of Meat/Fat
10.1411 % ice water
2 % Non Iodized Salt
0.3527 % Sugar
0.3307 % Black Pepper
0.1102 % Garlic Powder or (Use fresh garlic at 0.22%)
0.0287 % Marjoram
0.0573 % ground Allspice

For smoked use all ingredients above plus the smoked ingredients.

Smoked
Of Meat/Fat
2.0 % Soy Protein
0.265 % Prague #1 (Franco's at 5.8824% Nitrite) 156 ppm
0.0441 % paprika
0.05 % Smoke powder

Method for Smoked
Grind cold meat and fat through a no: 8 mincer plate. Put cold meat into the mixer with the K beater attached and the add water, mix on speed 1 for about a minute. Now add everything else except the soy protein and mix for about another minute or until the meat changes texture and becomes slightly sticky. Now add the soy protein and mix until the flour is absorbed about 10 - 20 seconds. Fill hogs casing.

Tie sausage into about 10" lengths, tying off with string. Tie sausages to the bottom of a rack in the top of the oven, set your oven to the lowest setting about 130C and leave the door open a crack. When the temperature of the bottom of the sausage reaches at least 67C about 3-4 hours take out and immerse in ice cold water until the temperature reads 43C Allow to bloom till desired colour is reached. Place in Fridge overnight. Then cook or vac Pac.

hi All,
Can I ask one of you brainy types to do me a favour.
Can somone work out what grams to use per 1 kilo of meat based on Oddleys list above. Math is not something I am good at and don't want to try working this out for myself :wink:
Now if you want a landscape painted or a musical instrument played then I'm your man..but math...not my bag.
thanks in advance
John
johnfb
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Recipes