Ridiculous I know BUT Anyone have a Low fat sausage recipe?

Introductions and chatter

Ridiculous I know BUT Anyone have a Low fat sausage recipe?

Postby hmmm sausages » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi All,

I know LOW FAT and SAUSAGE dont really go together but I am a porker and need to ched some of my back fat, and front fat, so I can see my weiner again. Not literally but I thought I would just put a few sausage references in :lol:

Sainsburys do a really low fat Sausage which equates to 1 weight watchers point per sausage, and they are actually edible too. Normal sausages are about 3-4 points ish

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make a lower fat sausage, that still taste good and isnt as dry as something very dry?!?

I look forward to your help as I want to start making good sausages again that are good for me

Cheers, Rob
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:51 pm

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby johnfb » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:58 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :roll:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:02 pm

If at first you don't succeed.....

Pig out over Christmas and start again in the new year :D

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:45 pm

An interesting problem.

Sainsburys web-site gives these details for Weight Watcher's sausage
Weight Watchers Premium Pork Sausages x6 400g

1 1/2 points value�.

0.5g Saturated Fat.

82 Calories.

Per Sausage.

Delicious premium pork sausages, made with selected cuts of lean pork and fresh sage and spices.

WEIGHT WATCHERS.

Our food range is just part of what Weight Watchers has to offer. We also run thousands of friendly meetings across the UK every week. For more information, call 08457 123 000 or visit weightwatchers.co.uk

Weight Watchers Premium Pork Sausages can help slimming or weight control only as part of a calorie controlled diet.

Made using pork from the EU.

Ingredients
Pork (70%), Water, Breadcrumb (Wheatflour, Yeast, Salt), Potato Starch, Pork Gelatine, Salt, Ground Spice (Nutmeg, Coriander, White Pepper), Dextrose, Herbs (Sage, Marjoram), Stabilisers: Sodium Di and Tri Polyphosphates, Spice Extracts (Mace, Sage, Capsicum), Onion Powder, Preservative: Sodium Sulphite, Antioxidants: Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Filled into Natural Pork Casings.

Nutrition
Per 100g/ Per Sausage
Energy 523 kJ 349 kJ
Protein 16.8g 11.2g
Carbohydrate 9.4g 6.3g
of which sugars 2.4g 1.6g
Fat 2.1g 1.4g
of which saturates 0.8g 0.5g
Fibre 1.4g 0.9g
Sodium 0.52g 0.34g
Salt 1.3g 0.9g

FWIW my thoughts:
Note the use of phosphate - presumably for water retention. Likewise potato starch.
I guess that the gelatine gives 'mouth feel'. What about trying a sausage from lean pork or chicken using jellied pork stock or stock/gelatine as the liquid? Use rusk/breadcrumbs and add milk powder/soy protein/potato starch for water retention?
Your lean pork is going to be 8-10% fat so at 70% pork you're looking at probably 5-7g fat per 100g.
You could lower the meat content further.
You could even use this fat replacer.
Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Wal Footrot » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:10 pm

wheels wrote:An interesting problem.

Sainsburys web-site gives these details for Weight Watcher's sausage
Weight Watchers Premium Pork Sausages x6 400g

1 1/2 points value�.

0.5g Saturated Fat.

82 Calories.

Per Sausage.

Delicious premium pork sausages, made with selected cuts of lean pork and fresh sage and spices.

WEIGHT WATCHERS.

Our food range is just part of what Weight Watchers has to offer. We also run thousands of friendly meetings across the UK every week. For more information, call 08457 123 000 or visit weightwatchers.co.uk

Weight Watchers Premium Pork Sausages can help slimming or weight control only as part of a calorie controlled diet.

Made using pork from the EU.

Ingredients
Pork (70%), Water, Breadcrumb (Wheatflour, Yeast, Salt), Potato Starch, Pork Gelatine, Salt, Ground Spice (Nutmeg, Coriander, White Pepper), Dextrose, Herbs (Sage, Marjoram), Stabilisers: Sodium Di and Tri Polyphosphates, Spice Extracts (Mace, Sage, Capsicum), Onion Powder, Preservative: Sodium Sulphite, Antioxidants: Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Filled into Natural Pork Casings.

Nutrition
Per 100g/ Per Sausage
Energy 523 kJ 349 kJ
Protein 16.8g 11.2g
Carbohydrate 9.4g 6.3g
of which sugars 2.4g 1.6g
Fat 2.1g 1.4g
of which saturates 0.8g 0.5g
Fibre 1.4g 0.9g
Sodium 0.52g 0.34g
Salt 1.3g 0.9g

FWIW my thoughts:
Note the use of phosphate - presumably for water retention. Likewise potato starch.
I guess that the gelatine gives 'mouth feel'. What about trying a sausage from lean pork or chicken using jellied pork stock or stock/gelatine as the liquid? Use rusk/breadcrumbs and add milk powder/soy protein/potato starch for water retention?
Your lean pork is going to be 8-10% fat so at 70% pork you're looking at probably 5-7g fat per 100g.
You could lower the meat content further.
You could even use this fat replacer.
Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Phil

This is exactly what I do when making my saveloys which are less than 15% fat. In this case I use pork brawn which has the gelatine in it. My saveloys are moist with good mouthfeel but do not appear or taste fatty. I must admit I haven't tried it in sausages but don't see why it shouldn't work. I'd be interested to see how little fat you could really use before you lost the effect.
Wal Footrot
Wal Footrot
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:39 pm

How on earth do they manage to get: Fat- 2.1g per 100g if it is 70% pork?

Unless they render most of the fat out of the pork before they even start :shock:

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby hmmm sausages » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:32 pm

its not weight watchers sausages that I have tried, its sainsburys be good to yourself ones, quite "healthy" on a weight watchers plan, but goodness wise i dont know

I might just eat less "real sausages" than usual and enjoy them lol
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:02 am

I'm going to try again :)
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:09 am

saucisson wrote:How on earth do they manage to get: Fat- 2.1g per 100g if it is 70% pork?

Unless they render most of the fat out of the pork before they even start :shock:

Dave

I think they must do something like that commercially, perhaps Sausagemaker can advise?
It seems to me that you can make a 'lower fat' sausage but, without the sort of replacement chemicals we mostly abhor, not a 'low fat' one?

hmmm sausages may have the answer - eat good sausage but less often. Perhaps, to help, we need a branch of Sausages Anonymous - 'cos once the bug gets you - you can't stop! :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby sausagemaker » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:33 am

Hi All

Lets start with the 2.1% fat claim, this could be out by 20% which is allowed by law & although still very low, it needs to be less than 3% for the claim.
If you have a Halal Butcher near you look at there meat you will find that it is trimmed of almost all visible fat, Manufactured pork (Pork Oysters) are 92% lean so it could be possible to trim these even further see link below for a guide on meat cuts used in manufacture.
http://www.dsi.org/688

As for the gelatine I am assuming this is there for succulence as the theory for a like wise product methocellulose is as follows.
Gelatine & methocellulose is used to increase water binding in meat & therefore you could use it for fat reduction. Just think of a pork pie when gel is cold the water is held in suspension & when heated it melts put this into the meat of a sausage & when the melting occurs it releases the water into the meat making it juicy or perceived succulence

On the phosphate these are standard in 99% of sausage seasoning and are there to increase water binding in the meat.

Hope this helps
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:54 pm

Ok, I have my raw materials :)

Healthy Eating Pork Medallions at 2.2% fat and turkey breast fillets at 0.8% fat. I bought some agar flakes as a gelatine substitute and will try a few different mixes to see what I can concoct.

Any more suggestions before I start will be welcome :)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby the hogman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:19 pm

I tried to smoke some bacon the other day, it made me cough!
the hogman
Registered Member

Postby Bad Flynch » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:12 pm

I think that low fat sausage is an oxymoron, isn't it?
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:45 pm

I think all beef are morons, or is that a contradiction in terms.. :)
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Next

Return to Chatter