Hot Dog Frankfurters Weiners Help

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Hot Dog Frankfurters Weiners Help

Postby Philwurst » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:20 pm

1st off i would like some recipes...i keep seeing the usual one everytime i google it..How bout some different ones? IE All Beef Kosher style? or Vienna beef style? european?

Also i desperatly need a good way to get the texture right...i tried a method that said to put the mixture through the grinder (fine blade) 3 times and they were grainy.

I do plan on getting a seperate stuffer...that i know

could i use a food processor or will the meat mixture ust get thrown to the sides on the 1st spin?

any help will be appreciated
Philwurst
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:04 am

Hot Dogs

Here is what I do. Note use cellulose casing , do not try this with collagen cases. It would probably work with sheep casing if you can't find the cellulose ones, Just leave the sheep casing on after chilling.

2.5 Lbs. Chicken
2.5 Lbs. Pork
2/3 cup milk powder
4 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. Amesphos.
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. white pepper
1 tsp. Prague powder #1
1 tsp. mace
1 � tsp. liquid smoke
1 cup ice water

Grind semi frozen meat through a fine plate Keep cold. Add spices and re-grind through a fine plate. In small batches of 1.5 lbs. put in a food processor with two ice cubes, blend until a smooth paste, and repeat until all meat mixture is emulsified.
Stuff into cellulose casings and tie each link. Place in hot water 170-180 F. Until internal temp is 155 F. About 8-10 minutes. Immerse in ice water for 10 minutes. Remove skins and put in the fridge or vacuum pack to put in freezer.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:48 am

Phil
If you have access to Burce Aidells' book on sausagemaking, you might take a read. He's got a section on hotdog making (recipe included in the section). It sounds like your emulsion got too warm and broke. As Big Guy indicates, the emulsion has to be kept cold during processing.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Philwurst » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:29 am

TJ Buffalo wrote:Phil
If you have access to Burce Aidells' book on sausagemaking, you might take a read. He's got a section on hotdog making (recipe included in the section). It sounds like your emulsion got too warm and broke. As Big Guy indicates, the emulsion has to be kept cold during processing.

No..no access to the book

Is there a "too cold" and when is it too warm?

I can assume the emulsion can only break during mixing?

once "broke" can i fix it by cooling again and remixing?

I thought it was cold but i guess not cold enough
Last edited by Philwurst on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philwurst
Registered Member

Postby Philwurst » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:33 am

Big Guy wrote:Hot Dogs

Here is what I do. Note use cellulose casing , do not try this with collagen cases. It would probably work with sheep casing if you can't find the cellulose ones, Just leave the sheep casing on after chilling.

2.5 Lbs. Chicken
2.5 Lbs. Pork
2/3 cup milk powder
4 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. Amesphos.
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. white pepper
1 tsp. Prague powder #1
1 tsp. mace
1 � tsp. liquid smoke
1 cup ice water

Grind semi frozen meat through a fine plate Keep cold. Add spices and re-grind through a fine plate. In small batches of 1.5 lbs. put in a food processor with two ice cubes, blend until a smooth paste, and repeat until all meat mixture is emulsified.
Stuff into cellulose casings and tie each link. Place in hot water 170-180 F. Until internal temp is 155 F. About 8-10 minutes. Immerse in ice water for 10 minutes. Remove skins and put in the fridge or vacuum pack to put in freezer.

Thank you very much!!! This looks nice
just a few questions
why chicken? is that for health?
what if the only cure i have is mortons tender quick?
No added fat?
Philwurst
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:14 pm

Chicken for taste!. I don't add extra fat, but the pork I use is quite fatty.probably 30% in the final sausage. If you use tender quick use it per the manufactures recomendations and cut back on the salt, Tenderquick is about 80% salt, 19.4% sugar .6%cure. IMHO you can't make a decent hot dog with out a phosphate binder(amenophos)
I get my cellulose casing from LEM products.

I am going to try this recipe but substitute all beef for the pork and chicken, to see how it tastes.
My wife and kids love my current recipe but I want to try an all beef dog.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Philwurst » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Big Guy wrote:Chicken for taste!. I don't add extra fat, but the pork I use is quite fatty.probably 30% in the final sausage. If you use tender quick use it per the manufactures recomendations and cut back on the salt, Tenderquick is about 80% salt, 19.4% sugar .6%cure. IMHO you can't make a decent hot dog with out a phosphate binder(amenophos)
I get my cellulose casing from LEM products.

I am going to try this recipe but substitute all beef for the pork and chicken, to see how it tastes.
My wife and kids love my current recipe but I want to try an all beef dog.

Thx and i hope you let me know how that goes
Evertime i turn around i see a different chemical in recipes...too bad a supplier doesnt sell a variety pack of them

I may be way off here..but i was brainstorming and i was thinking.."hmmm...i wonder if one could use an ice cream maker to emulsify a mixture" just dont get it too cold...LOL
Philwurst
Registered Member

Postby Philwurst » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:50 am

This has to be the best site ive seen regarding emulsifying
http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6556e/X6556E07.htm
Philwurst
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:54 am

Thanks for the link Phil, It has some good info on there.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby jamanda » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:41 pm

I've been looking for a hotdog recipe for a while, so these links are good to find, but could someone please tell me what amesphos is? I assume the phos bit refers to some sort of phosphate?
jamanda
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:35 pm

Yes, phosphates aid water retention and emulsification. They are used extensively commercially. You can get supaphos from our hosts site http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/Ingredients.html or other butcher suppliers.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:45 pm

I make a beef and pork adaption of this recipe, which my daughter says are her favourite.

It's an anorak one 'cos I've converted the table/teaspoons to gms - I can post it if you want?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby jamanda » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:36 am

Yes please - You can never have too many recipes imho.

The host of this is Franco isn't it? It's an excellent forum.
jamanda
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:02 pm

Yes, Franco kindly sponsors the forum.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Just for completeness, Bruce Aidells recipe and info, on his Chicago hot dogs can be found here.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Next

Return to Beginners