Just a plain old breakfast pork sausage recipe please?

Recipes for all sausages

Just a plain old breakfast pork sausage recipe please?

Postby Shirl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi all

I've made up a few recipes on this forum and I've loved them, including the Lincolnshire ones yum.

However the kids won't eat them and they are asking for a plain breakfast sausage. Can anyone tell me what percentage of ingredients you would use per kilo of meat please and what exactly you would put in?

Sorry if this is a real basics question but I couldnt find anything that said 'ideal for kids who like to eat crappy supermarket sausages' :(

We tried some from our local organic farm (�6.29 for 6 bangers!) and they liked those. The ingredients list is as follows:

Pork 80%
Rusk
Sugar
Pepper
Nutmeg
Sea salt 2.5%

So I know the amount of salt is going to be 2.5 grams per kilo but how can I work out the rest of it? I don't want to keep doing trial and error as I end up with a freezer full of sausages that only me eats. :(
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi Shirl
I have been putting recipes on this section for some time now so you should be able to find what you need...here's one for starters

Pork breakfast sausage

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=3675

1 kg Pork 70/30

Sage 1/4 tsp
Corn Flour 1 tsp
Rosemary 1 tsp
Ground White Pepper 1/2 tsp
Salt 13grams
Sugar (Table) 5 grams
Chilli Powder 1/4 tsp
Erythorbate 6 grams
Phosphate 5 grams
Ice Water 51 mils
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Many thanks for that John.

Can I leave these two out without any harm?
Erythorbate 6 grams
Phosphate 5 grams

I don't have them.. or know what they are! The rest of the recipe looks good though. :D
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:11 pm

Shirl wrote:Many thanks for that John.

Can I leave these two out without any harm?
Erythorbate 6 grams
Phosphate 5 grams

I don't have them.. or know what they are! The rest of the recipe looks good though. :D

Hi Shirl

Sodium erythorbate (C6H7NaO6)is used predominantly in the meat, poultry, and soft drink food industry. When used in processed meat such as hot dogs and beef sticks, this compound reduces the rate at which nitrate reduces to nitric oxide, thus retaining the pink colouring. As an antioxidant (C6H7NaO6) helps improve flavor stability similar to that of Vitamin C, and helps prevent the formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines. When used as a food additive, its E number is E316.

It is absolute ly incorrect that Sodium erythorbate is made from ground earthworms as claimed by urban legend.[1] It is a chemical compound made from sugars such as beet and cane. It is thought that the genesis of the legend comes from the similarity of the chemical name to the phrase, �earth or bait.�+++Phosphate

phosphate
This is known as a cutter and aids water retention in sausage making, it helps make a moister product and also acts as an emulsifier making the sausage more �uniform�.

These things can be bought on the shop site. To be honest when I make my sausages I NEVER use these additives and am happy that I will only get three days in the fridge as I freeze most of my sausages anyway. The usual pink colour is not of interest to me...what is, is nice taste and healthy things inside it.

Hope this helps.

Look up the very good beginners guide on the site and it should answer all your questions

john
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:17 pm

Thanks again John.

Ah right, knowing that you don't use these two ingredients and are happy is fine then, I'll go ahead and try them!

I am not bothered whether the sausages are pink or not as they all look the same once they are cooked, and like you, I keep mine in the freezer.

Fingers crossed the kids will be happy :roll:
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:33 pm

It may take a while; but my kids, 17 and 13 will not eat any other sausages now except for mine and they were used to the supermarket rubbish for years, so yours will take to them, no doubt

Keep at it and make a kilo batch at a time, that way you wont have too many over and if they are not eaten give them to family and friends to eat.
We all suffered from trial and error at first, it took me many tries to get a recipe we like and now it is all I use...a cumberland blend suits us fine.
Even now I make small kilo batches to try out new recipes on the family and have found 3 or 4 that we like for different times like dinner, breakfast and barbques.

Keep at it...trust me it is worth it

John
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:38 pm

I should add that I always use rusk or breadcrumbs to add to the juiciness.
I think fat is also essential to a good sausage.

John
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Oddley » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:43 pm

Here's one, I've been meaning to try. It was originally posted by sausagemaker, as a clone of mac donalds sausage. I don't know many kids that won't eat that. I think this is a relatively healthy version. If you try it, tell us what you think.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... =mcdonalds

Mac Donalds Breakfast Sausage

1Kg Batch

97% - 970g Pork Shoulder about 25% fat
3% - 30g Seasoning

Seasoning

55% - 16.5g Salt
20% - 6g Dextrose
12% - 3.6g Cornflour
10% - 3g Mixed Herbs
2% - 0.6g White Pepper
1% - 0.3g Yeast extract (or pork stock cube)
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi Shirl

My family, other than me, like a fairly plain sausage with a bit of a peppery bite. Here's what I use for 1kg:

780gm Pork Shoulder (about 75/25 meat to fat)
80gm Rusk
120gm water
20gm seasoning mix

Seasoning mix:

Salt 60gm
Pepper White 10gm
Pepper Black 8gm
Nutmeg 2gm
Mace 1gm
Ginger 2gm

This gives about 1.45% salt.

You can see them here but the picture doesn't really do them justice.

I mince these fairly finely and use sheep's casings - 'cos that's the way they like 'em!

Your ingredients - using rusk but no liquid seems odd to me.

Hope this helps

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:33 pm

Many thanks guys I appreciate it.

John, as a breadmaker I usually save any crusts or ends of the loaf and use these but I'm thinking about trying a bit of oatmeal soon... but hey I'm not going to run before I can walk!

Oddley, its your Lincolnshire recipe that I absolutely adore, thank you for posting it! In fact I've still got some of the dried ingredients made up and every so often I spot the jar in the pantry and have a good sniff!

Wheels, I like your picture.. how sausages should look, not plasticky pink like the ones my kids like.

I see you are local to me. I buy all my meats from the farmers market in Ashby and it is quite expensive so I want to get a recipe that they all like and stick to it, although I do fancy pork and apple ones myself.

That recipe I posted, well it was an ingredients list really so there would have been water but they didnt list it. Its from the organic farm near Quorn.
Shirl
Registered Member

Breakfast Sausage

Postby Big Guy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:30 am

I like a maple flavour in my breakfast sausages If you don't want to add , or can't find any maple sugar just use cane sugar.

Breakfast Sausage
15 lbs. Fat Pork butts
4 Tbs. Salt
11/2 Tbs. White Pepper
1 Tbs. Rubbed Sage
11/2 Tsp. Ginger
11/2 Tbs. Nutmeg
1 Tsp. Marjoram
1 quart ice water
1 Cup milk powder
6 Tbs. maple sugar

Grind meat through a � inch plate. Add ice water and spices. Mix well Stuff into natural sheep casings .
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Shirl » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:54 am

Thanks Big Guy.

I've not seen maple sugar but I always have cane sugar in the house. I add a bit of sugar or jam to all my savoury dishes, not just sausages as it brings out a lovely depth to the meal. Especially gravies made with the juices of the meats and a bit of homemade jam stirred in at the end.. delicious!
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:21 am

I always use icing sugar in sausage recipes that call for dextrose or sugar to be added. I think it breaks down quicker.
I use it at a rate of 1grm per kilo and it seems to work ok...no sweet taste and a nice browning on the skin.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Re: Just a plain old breakfast pork sausage recipe please?

Postby lemonD » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:36 am

Shirl wrote: I don't want to keep doing trial and error as I end up with a freezer full of sausages that only me eats. :(

Try making very small trial amounts, form them into patties and give the kids burgers.
For my 8 year old and 5 year old i find that texture is just as important as taste to them, i.e. finely ground and a firm bite.
kids who like to eat crappy supermarket sausages
the crappyer the better :?
Have you tried just salt and pepper, no herbs?

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby Shirl » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:44 am

Thanks guys.

No I haven't tried just salt and pepper, although I have visions of it tasting like a chop instead of a sausage... sorry I am a newbie!

Yes I do the very fine grating. gives it the texture they like.

The problem I have is that I like to buy my meat from the local farmers market that happens once a month. I need to get the meat made up and frozen in a day or two. I buy enough for a couple of dozen sausages so thats not very many but if they don't like them I have to buy some for them and eat my way through the homemade ones myself :evil:

Once I find a formula they like, then I will buy more meat at the market and stock up. I do want to experiment for myself though, I love pork and apple, or tomato etc.
Shirl
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes