burgers

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby aussieinor » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:24 am

Oddley wrote:I was working on a burger recipe for a while, now it is about perfect. I'm so confident that I'll say if you follow the recipe exactly, you won't eat any other burger.

Hey Oddley,

Would you be up for providing us that recipe?

Cheers mate
aussieinor
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:10 am

I too would be very interested in your recipe Oddley if you would be prepared to let it go...............

At the moment I make / sell burgers made from dexter mince with the ratio of 10g salt @ 2g black pepper per kg. This is my base and from there I use a variety of different herbs, spices etc depending on the burger required.

A good and quick burger is to start with the aforementioned base and add to that a tbsp of chilly dipping sauce (all supermarkets sell this, I think the brand is Blue Dragon but I may be wrong). This gives a slightly hot and spicy taste - aw god, where is the Summer!

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Nafe » Sun May 04, 2008 7:54 am

I too would be interested in this recipe. Oddleys chilli willis are the best sauages, i'd imagine his burgers are awsome!

I did make some meatballs yesterday which I may convert into burgers. I havnt got weights but her it goes. 1lb steak mince, salt, pepper, onion granules, marjoram. Then I coated them with small bit of oil with oregano mixed with a bit of tomato puree (which I suppose could be incorproated in to the recipe).

I was pleased with the meatballs and think they would make good burgers. I got some fresh morzorella and was going to make 2 patties and squash the cheese in the middle, for a italian burger thingy! (BBQ TIME!!!)

Nafe
Some say that Chuck Norris is so hard, that underneath his beard there is no chin.... only another fist.
Nafe
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun May 04, 2008 1:57 pm

I developed this recipe some time ago, I think it is one of my best products, my family and friends would be very upset if I changed it. I use them as, just a burger and in things like a burger and bacon kebabs.

I have even bought a machine the same as below, so that I can make loads of them quickly, after going to Smithfield market, and buying 30Kg of chuck steak.

I wrote:Oddleys Bonza Burgers

Chuck Steak Minced on 4.5 mm Plate

Of meat
3 % Breadcrumbs
10 % Finely chopped onion
1.54 % Spice Mix

Spice mix
76.9231 % - 30 parts salt
10.2564 % - 4 parts black pepper
5.1282 % - 2 parts Sweet smoked paprika
5.1282 % - 2 part onion salt
2.5641 % - 1 part cumin seed powder

Method
Mince cold chuck steak (only as it gives the burger just the right taste) through the 4.5mm plate of a mincer, then add spice mix and knead thoroughly, until slightly sticky. Add onion and mix add breadcrumb and mix. Shape into 4 - 5 oz burgers, and use or freeze.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Nafe » Sun May 04, 2008 2:44 pm

cheers dude!

is chuck the same as braising steak?

ta

nath
Some say that Chuck Norris is so hard, that underneath his beard there is no chin.... only another fist.
Nafe
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sun May 04, 2008 2:50 pm

No chuck steak is not the same as braising steak. The reason I'm so insistent about chuck, is that I developed the recipe using chuck, so it is perfect for that cut and brings out the delicate taste of the chuck. Braising steak has a too powerful beef flavour which would overwhelm the spices.

But at the end of the day, I can only give recommendations.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby porker » Sun May 04, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi Oddley,

I too wanted to clarify about 'chuck steak' as when I looked it up I got the same answer as Nafe ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_steak ) i would love to try your receipe, but need to make sure I'm buying the right cut, thanks again

Cheers

:)
porker
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun May 04, 2008 6:27 pm

http://www.lackhamfarm.co.uk/about/beef ... aising.asp

Chuck is specifically that cut behind the neck. Braising steak in the UK comes in all shapes :) as alluded to here:

http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/ ... 22,IN.html

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Sun May 04, 2008 6:44 pm

I've investigated more, and you two are right and I'm wrong, (so what's new.. :D ).

I use what I get up Smithfield, which is pre packed Irish chuck, that I suspect is hot cut pre-rigor meat, because of the water content. I was confusing blade-bone steak, with your definition of braising steak, blade-bone steak has lots of flavour, but is too good to mince, it makes cracking braising steak though.

EDIT: The above image, looks like the chuck steak, I'm talking about.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aussieinor » Sat May 10, 2008 3:37 pm

Well tonight I made up a batch of hamburgers using the recipe that oddley provided above.

It's my first ever go at making hamburgers from scratch and I will have to say, FANTASTIC!

I used Oddley's recipe, purchased only lean beef mince (already minced from butcher) and I also added some phosphate (0.5%) to help retain some of the water and juices.

I am very happy with the outcome of the burgers and will definitely be making them again.

The only thing that confused me was the breakout of the spices. I didn't exactly understand 30 parts of this, 4 parts of that when putting the spices together. I just used the % as noted. Does it make any difference?

Cheers and THANK YOU Oddley for your great recipes, I'm yet to find one that you've provided that I haven't liked.
aussieinor
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat May 10, 2008 5:04 pm

The parts are listed as an alternative to percentages.
Some people find one easier than the other, depends on what you're brought up with (like lb + oz against Kg and g).
Use whichever you feel comfortable with.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Sun May 11, 2008 11:09 am

I'm pleased you enjoyed them... :D
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aussieinor » Sat May 24, 2008 2:35 am

Guys,

For those of you who haven't tried these yet it's a MUST!

Since I made them, I've had 3 orders from friends to do them for their BBQ parties.

Also they are paying me to do sausages aswell.

Have a go, they are great :)
aussieinor
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat May 24, 2008 8:33 am

You'll have a new business set up there before you know it. :D

Going to give Oddley's recipe a go this weekend. :)
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sat May 24, 2008 2:13 pm

Many thanks for the recipe, Oddley. I made up a batch of 24 burgers as part of the food for our organization picnic, and they got rave reviews.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners