Chilli Willies

Recipes for all sausages

Chilli Willies

Postby Oddley » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:04 pm

About a week ago I made Merguez and Hot Italian sausages and was not satisfied with them. So I determined to develop my own spicy sausage recipe.

I made two types one Beef and Pork the other just Pork using the same spices. I was surprised and pleased with the outcome. The two types of meat make two completely different sausages described by my wife as light for pork and dark for the mixed meat.

The taste is slightly spicy with loads of body which fills the mouth but is also clean on the palette. I am going to add this recipe to my core recipes list which numbers now with this recipe three.

This is the meat I chose lean beef and 60/40 lean to fat belly

As you can see after cooking the chili paste is dark in colour and has a slightly barbeque flavour.
Massage the spices well into the meat I think this also improves the texture.
The air bubble you can see is where I put a lump of bread into the stuffer to tell where the mixture changed from the Pork, to the Pork and beef mixture.
The finished article.
Chilli Willies

Sausage Meat

488 gm Minced Lean Beef Minced through 3/8 Plate
228 gm 60/40 Lean Fat Pork Belly Minced through 3/8 Plate
30 gm breadcrumbs
90 gm Chili Paste (See Below)
3 gm pepper
6 gm Salt

Chili Paste

215 gm Finely chopped onion
100 gm Tomato Puree
2 Minced Cloves garlic
2 Skinned Red Chilies
4 gm Cumin Seed powder
4 Tbs Light Olive Oil

Method

To make the chili paste skin the red chilies by holding them over the gas until they are blackened put them into a sealed plastic bag for five minutes the skin should then rub off easily. meanwhile in a frying pan fry the onions in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until caramelised. This will add sweetness to the paste. Add the garlic and chopped chili to the pan and fry for 1 minute do not brown. then add the cumin seed powder fry gently for 2 minutes to release the oils. now add the tomato puree and fry gently for a further five minutes. When cooled slightly put into a blender with the remaining olive oil and blend until smooth. You can also use a mortar and pestle to accomplish this.

To make sausages make sure your meat is cold at all times (between 1 - 4 deg C) slice the meat across the grain to easily fit the mincer then mince on the 3/8 in plate. Now massage all the ingredients into the meat. Fill the skins and link. Place in the bottom of the fridge overnight to mature.

I will put my neck on the line and recommend this recipe. If you make them write a review so everybody can determine if they are worth making.
Last edited by Oddley on Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddley
Registered Member

Looks Good

Postby Parson Snows » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:59 pm

Oddley
they look good, photos turned out well
you wrote
I chose lean beef and 60/40 lean to fat belly

I'm glad that that combination worked out. Only two small things that I can see.
you wrote
slice the meat to easily fit the mincer

As these are instructions for others to hopefully follow I would suggest that you add that the meat is cut across the grain as it makes a difference when mincing, and the other one is try and freeze a couple and see how that affects/or doesn't affect the flavour. I'd probably go with that the freezing with affect the flavour quite a bit. I'd be interested to hear the outcome if you do freeze any. I'll definately try some when I get time.

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:11 pm

Thanks for the comments Parson.

There will be none left to freeze this time. They are really popular in my house and the last will be used tonight.

But I will be making soon a bigger batch and will freeze some. If nobody has commented on there suitability for freezing you can rely on me to tell it how it is. Give them a go Parson they are worth the effort.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Nafe » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:55 pm

I know this is an old thread and I keep on about these sausages but on a cold, rainy, windy winters night they just cant be beaten.

PLEASE PLEASE make some of these bad boys! They taste sooooooo good and we even made a sausage casserole (which I normally cant stand) and it came out so good because of these.

Im making these as a xmas pressie for all at work.

Oddley - once again - I Salute You! :D

Ta

nafe
Some say that Chuck Norris is so hard, that underneath his beard there is no chin.... only another fist.
Nafe
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes