Easy Beef Sausages

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Easy Beef Sausages

Postby Pat Anderson » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:53 pm

These sausages started out as hamburger on special at QFC, our local Kroger grocery store - $1.49 a lb. This is a 5 lb batch. Recipe was handed down from my late Mom, don't know where she got it.

Recipe is simplicity:

2.5 tbsp Morton Tenderquick
1 tsp ground pepper
2 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp whole peppercorns
As much fresh minced garlic as you can stand!
1 cup ice cold water

I mixed it in a big stainless bowl by hand, then soaked and tied off one end of casings (wish I knew what they were, they are not natural but seem edible, at least I ate them). Should really use hog casings, but I had these on hand. Finally, I stuffed with SMI 5 lb stuffer, dried for 1 hour in SMI 20 lb smokehouse at 120 degrees F, raised temp to 165 degrees F, about 6 hours to internal temp of 155 degrees F. Showered with water.

Now, here is why I say "EASY"! You don't need a grinder, stuffer or smoker to make this sausage - it works great if you add 1/4 tsp liquid smoke, roll in to 1 lb logs, and bake in the oven at 200 degrees F until the 155 F internal temperature is achieved.

This is a VERY tasty snack sausage!
Pat Anderson
Registered Member

Return to Beginners