1 teaspoon toasted ground corriander
1/4 teaspoon ground bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 TABLESPOON milk powder
1/2 cup finely diced pork back fat blanched for
1 min drained and cool
1/2 cup blanched peeled pistachio

method
1 combine pork butt,w wine, garlic, salt & pink salt. grind through a small die into a bowl set then refrigerate. grind th back fat the same way but keep seperarte
2 place ground meat , crushed ice ,pepp4er,mace, coriander, bay leaf and nutmeg in the food processer and process untill the mix reaches 40 degreess f or 4 degrees c about 5 minsadd the ground fat and keep processing untill 45 degrees f or7 degreese c add the milk powder and continue to process untill 58 degrees f or 14 degrees c ( if it looks like it is going to break you can be a little lower)
3 place mix in in a bowl on ice fold inthe blanched fat and pistachios test mix in simmering water for seasoning etc
4 stuff in cassing ( i started with small hog cassings but know i do it in beef middle)
5 poach sausage in 170 degrees f or 76 degrees c water to an internaltemp 150 f or 65 c then shock in ice bath
6 it is then ready to eat but i like to hang for a week and just stare at my handy work
this is a great technique very easy and when you have all the ingrdiants together is very quick
good luck
oakley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Many thanks Oakley.

Just one question, why do you process to 58°F - is there a specific reason, or is it that you want to process as much as possible but it will split above this temp? i.e. If I can process it enough without getting anywhere near 58 degrees does it matter?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

mortadella

Postby oakley » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:41 pm

i am not sure the scientific answer to that question. but i think that when it is in the machine it takes a while to reach that temp so instead of spliting the mix it will not cause you any harm to have it at alower temp but the 58 degrees is the ideal temp i normally get it preety spot on with in 5 degrees. also i started making the mortadella when i was in colorado and the alttitude was diffrent to were i live at the momment ( lake placid new york) i move back to th e uk in april so we will c what happens there..
oakley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks Oakley
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Sausage Recipes