What cuts of meat are best

Recipes for all sausages

What cuts of meat are best

Postby Whibbs » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:15 pm

:oops: This is my first post so need all the help I can get. I need to know what are the best cuts of meat to use in susages, in lamb, pork and beef. I have noticed that some recipes state half fat, half lean so I would not expect to use best fillet.

When the recipe says chop (do not grind) does this the meat should not be minced, why is this :?:
Whibbs
Newly Registered

meat etc.

Postby Franco » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:40 pm

Hi Whibbs, welcome to the forum,

The best cut to use for pork sausages is shoulder of pork, this has just the right amount of fat around 25-30%, other types of meat should also have this ratio, if you are using a lean cut ie. loin you must add fat up to the right proportion. Ask your butcer for pork back fat, it will be very cheap if not free!

When using lamb I often buy minced lamb from the supermarket as it is quite cost effective and the amount of fat is always on the label.

There are only a few recipes that call for chopped meat as opposed to minced, one of these is chorizo, there is no particular reason for this other than that is how it has traditionally been made.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Best cuts of meat

Postby RevImmigrant » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:44 pm

My father was ethnic German and grew up on a farm in the German section of Texas. My grandparents butchered their own beef and pork and made their own sausage and ham. He said you have to use the better cuts of the pork and beef (most, although not all, German sausage is a mixture of pork and beef or pork, beef and veal or pork and veal; very little is pure pork like Americans make; Rindwurst is all beef sausage and has a fine texture similar to frankfurters) to make good sausage. The problem with most American made sausage is that they only use the worst or poorest cuts that are not good enough for anything else and use too much fat. My father said this is a big mistake and is why Americans cannot make good sausage.

I just spent 3 years living in Germany, but returned to Mexico 4 months ago. This is a wasteland for sausage, so I have to learn to make my own or do without.

Linda in Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico
RevImmigrant
Newly Registered

Return to Sausage Recipes