Jacques Pepin Saucisson Recipe

Recipes for all sausages

Jacques Pepin Saucisson Recipe

Postby iole » Sat May 23, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi! I'm new to this site (my first post!), so I apologize in advance if this recipe is old news by now - I tried searching for it in the forums but didn't find it.

Looking through Jacques Pepin's new book "Chez Jacques", I found a recipe for saucisson. I have already done this recipe once, using the two halves of a tenderloin and have started the second batch today.

I wasn't crazy about the herbes de provence, so this time I tried newly dried thyme on one and black pepper on the other. Oh, and instead of using the courvoisier as I did last time (it mysteriously and slowly disappeared ounce by ounce over the past month...hey, who knew it was so good?) I used some dry sherry I had.

Here are a few pics:

Prepping the overnight brine

Tying it up in the cloth bundle � this sight really made me ecstatic. Something about the twine and the cotton really "legitimized" it for me.

Roughly 4 weeks later:

We really pigged out (ha) on it at this point. The outside was chewy and the inside a little buttery. It was really really wonderful. Again, the herbes he calls for in the recipe I found a little off putting. I think it's the lavender.

And today (total of about 6 weeks - in my scrooge-like attempt at rationing the saucisson so I could ensure all my family and friends could try it, I think it's a little too dry now. Oh well. I'll know better than to be stingy next time!)

Here's the link to the recipe: http://www.bordersmedia.com/recipefile/ ... erloin.asp

I'm so happy I found this site!!!

Iole
iole
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Sat May 23, 2009 8:41 pm

welcome to the forum, great first post.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sat May 23, 2009 11:42 pm

iole

Welcome, and as John says - great first post. :D

There are 'herbes de provence' that don't have a dominant lavender flavour trhat you might want to try ...at least there are in the UK - you don't say where you are.

Jacques Pepin used to be on Daytime TV over here on one of the minor channels, I always liked him - good chef, good recipes, and a superb accent!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby iole » Sun May 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Hey, thanks John and Phil!

How would one go about adding garlic to the herbs, just use garlic powder? I like the idea of less complex flavors, such as a 'straight-forward' garlic and pepper, but not sure how to apply the garlic...would it go bad if it were used in a raw, crushed form?

Iole
iole
Registered Member

Postby Gerry D » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:04 pm

What kind of cloth can be used to make this? It looks really simple and I definitely want to make some. Not sure what type of cloth to use. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Slainte

Gerry D
Gerry D
Registered Member

Postby iole » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi!

I first used a light cotton cloth, which worked out great. But because I'm lazy and didn't feel like continuously having 'meaty' cloths to keep aside and wash I decided to try a few sheets of paper towel, still using the twine. It stuck in a few tiny places, but would go with the paper towel again, no doubt about it.

Also, I tried hot red pepper flakes and black pepper on one, WOW was that good and spicy. I tried garlic powder on another and that was pretty gross.
iole
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes