spring onion

Recipes for all sausages

spring onion

Postby jarma » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:01 pm

being a new comer, thought id leave a recipe for people to try and see what feedback i get, its the other halves favorite of all sausage i make

1kg pork shoulder
100g rusk
100g ice cold water
6 spring onions......chopped fine,
1tbsp blk pepper
1tbsp salt
3 garlic cloves...chopped v.fine or pressed

mince meat on coarse plate, add other ingredients mix well, re-mince using fine plate,mix again until starting to go sticky, stuff into 20-24 mm sheep casing, makes a fine breakfast sausage.

thanks for looking :wink:
THE BEST TYPE OF DOG IS A HOT DOG!....IT FEEDS THE HAND THAT BITES IT.
jarma
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks Jarma

I'm intrigued by its simplicity and lack of traditional sausage spices. I'm guessing maybe you get a fresher flavour from the spring onions without things like ginger, mace, nutmeg and allspice getting in the way.

I'm gonna have to try this.

PS have you tried it with some Cheddar in?
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby jarma » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:50 pm

funny you should mention this but, yes, im not a great fan of cheese but wifey loved em, and pesters me to make em again,may do one day ..ha..ha.
i just diced up some mature chedder i found in fridge (bout 1/4 pound) and added this to mix(as you prob worked out im not a scales person).
ive tried using mace and nutmeg (same thing?)added too but think i over done it and it was a bit potent tasting and put me off a bit, so i keep to simple additives, i made these off my own back so took a chance on how they'd turn out, quite nice to my surprise.
let me know what you think once you've made and consumed.
Last edited by jarma on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarma
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Jarma

Nice recipe - do you leave any of the onion in larger pieces, or is it all finely ground?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby jarma » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:56 pm

in truth i just chop the green parts with a kitchen knife to a reasonably fine size, suppose you could use it all(except roots) and maybe leaving a few larger pieces may add a more oniony texture to it,
m.m.m i'll try it myself next time, sounds good.
jarma
Registered Member

Spring Onion

Postby Chuckwagon » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:52 pm

Blimey! That's good sausage! This is one you can really sink your teeth into. I used the green part of the onion too, then added a smidge more freshly ground (large cracked) black pepper. I put 'em in a 22 mm collagen casing and they turned out to be one of the nicest I've ever had. Nice going Jarma. Good recipe guys! Many thanks.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

glad to hear it!

Postby jarma » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:43 pm

great im glad you enjoyed them chuckwagon, im gona try adding some cracked black pepper and perhaps a wee bit of fresh garlic to my next batch, ill post any more recipes i create on sausagemaking.org, i may try doing a traditional English "full breakfast" sausage ,( bacon, egg, baked beans ,black pudding)will let all know how it turns out.....watch this space!

p.s. has any one tried this type of recipe before?
jarma
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes