Bacon & swiss-cheese bratwurst (usa version of a bratwur

Recipes for all sausages

Postby Nutczak » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:24 pm

I need to share this recipe, I was bored today and had a hankering for some fresh sausage. I had a pork butt that needed to be used and I was bored with the typical bratwurst, or the many versions of Italian fennel flavored sausage I usually do.

Anyways, here is the recipe I came up with that will be a produced alot in my home. I cannot believe how good it came out

Coarse grind, (6mm disk) hog casings (3/4")
5# pork butt
4# cured raw bacon (streaky bacon)
3# swiss cheese, (shredded or coarse chopped)
8 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoon ground coriander
2 tablespoon sage
1.5 tablespoon ground mustard seed (fine grind)
1 tabespoon ground Black pepper
2 tablespoon ground caraway seed
1 tablespoon white pepper
2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2-3 tablespoons kosher salt (start lightly, on the salt, because the bacon may be saltier than expected.) fry a piece and adjust salt content as needed before stuffing.

I played around with standard bratwurst seasonings until I hit the flavour note I liked best and scribbled down my notes to be able to duplicate this recipe. And share it with you.

I could see the cheese being omitted and fresh ground mushrooms being added to this recipe also.

Have fun, experiment with it to meet your unique likings, and enjoy!

BTW, I grilled these, served on fresh rolls with sauerkraut and spicy pickled cucumber slices. with grilled asparagus and boiled red-skin potatoes with butter & parsley.

if you were to see the smile on my face right now, it would defentely fit the definition of "Fat & happy"
Nutczak
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:48 am

That looks an interesting sausage Nutczak.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Nutczak » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:18 pm

wheels wrote:That looks an interesting sausage Nutczak.

Phil

They turned out great, watch your heat when grilling these, you do not want the casings to split and dump gooey cheese into the flames.

I will be making these sausages again very soon!
Nutczak
Registered Member

Postby Gerry D » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:29 pm

These look awesome! I'm going to try these very soon. Just one question. Did you you ground sage or crumbled sage?
Slainte

Gerry D
Gerry D
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:36 pm

Nutczac excuse my ignorance but what does #represent? And no liquid?
Thanks.

Jim.
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby spudeye » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:32 pm

captain wassname wrote:Nutczac excuse my ignorance but what does #represent? And no liquid?
Thanks.

Jim.

So is # lbs and no liquid ans is what..
cheers Spudeye
Newbie but getting better.
spudeye
Registered Member

Postby Nutczak » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:35 pm

My apologies for not explaining my >#< symbol. I sometimes forget we come from several different backgrounds. # equals US pounds And the recipe is correct, there are no liquids in this recipe.
The commercial streaky bacon we have available is brined and tends to have a high water content. I would say look at your product and add liquid only if you feel it is needed.

I rarely ever use liquids when making a fresh sausage, the only time I may use a liquid is as a flavoring agent such as vinegar for my Spicy Italian and fresh chorizo sausage. I have not found a reason to add liquid for any other reason.
Nutczak
Registered Member

Postby spudeye » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:02 am

Nutczak
Thanks for that, I am using liquids as I'm still hand mixing and need ever help I can get to get the mixture to right texture, thanks for the info though.
Graham
Newbie but getting better.
spudeye
Registered Member

Postby Nutczak » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:30 am

spudeye wrote:Nutczak
Thanks for that, I am using liquids as I'm still hand mixing and need ever help I can get to get the mixture to right texture, thanks for the info though.
Graham

I am also hand mixing, but only batch sizes of 25 pounds or under, and over a longer period of time to place the mixture back in the fridge to keep it cold.

I wear cotton gloves made for meat processing, no lint, and they keep your hands warmer.
Nutczak
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes