Bradley Smoker Cold Smoking Times

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby legionnaire158 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi All - great forum, tons of useful info.
I am a total newbie, after years of being hacked off with supermarket rubbish (Bacon that boils in its own water instead of frying, etc) I bought a Bradley Smoker with a cold smoking attachment.
First batch of streaky bacon is nicely curing in the fridge, (using sausagemaking.org's bacon cure) and my son is drooling with anticipation.
I have one teeny question to ask:
I am curing a 2.4k pork belly for about a week, after which I plan to smoke it cold in the Bradley. On the Bradley site the recipes I have seen all involve cooking the bacon - ie turning up the heat for the last part of the cooking. I understand the British way is to cold smoke thoughout the entire smoking time, leaving raw bacon that is cooked rasher by rasher (and I'm getting hungry as I type this!) - the question is, how long would you guys smoke it for in the Bradley? As I say, its 2.4kg uncured weight, and it will be on its own in the smoker
"Works well under supervision, and when caught like a rat in a trap"
legionnaire158
Registered Member

Postby TonyE » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:10 pm

Hi Legionnaire

I too have a Bradley Smoker, and with a cold smoker attachment, and have very successfully smoked Salmon, this normaly takes three hours.

I have not smoked Bacon yet, but I would anticipate possibly 4-5 hours, and then give it at least 24 hours before you cook it.

I have found a very useful Web site for users of Bradley smokers called
www.susanminor.org ( odd name isn't it???) this site may be dormant,
As I do not think you can post to it any more, but there are some fantastic recipes, I am sure there are loads for Bacon.

I hope this helps,

Regards - TonyE
TonyE
Registered Member

makin bacon

Postby Chuckwagon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:39 am

Hi Legionnaire,
Welcome aboard. You folks in the UK do not have the problem we have had in the states regarding trichinae in pork. We envy you folks who cold smoke without having to "certify" the meat. Although new USDA laws have almost eradicated trichinae in US pork, we still must cook our products to 138 degrees Fahrenheit while smoking them. Most commercial producers cook pork sausages (dry cured) to 150 degrees to avoid other problems such as listeria etc. Of course, raw pork in air dried (dry cured) salamis etc. are made only using "certified" pork (deep frozen to specifications). Good luck with your bacon. Let us know how it comes out.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Thanks!!

Postby legionnaire158 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:44 am

Hi Tony and Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon, I know what you mean about regulations, I don't think I would ever be allowed to actually sell home made bacon in the UK without comlying with all sorts of difficult rules. I'll give you an example; the Bradley is going to live in my garage but it is now illegal for me to install the electrical point for it myself, as I am not a qualified electrician. Despite the fact that in 1990 when I bought the house I did all of the wiring (it wasn't illegal then!)

Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to reply, and the advice, I'll try 5 hours in the Bradley

Steve
legionnaire158
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:33 am

legionnaire158 wrote:

now illegal for me to install the electrical point for it myself

Ahhh, the joys of constantly changing Building Regulations! :roll: It keeps bureaucrats in work though! :wink:
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby saucisson » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:01 am

I believe you can install it yourself but you need to get it signed off by someone qualified.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby legionnaire158 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:50 am

you guys are probably right. My point is that the older I get - I'm 50 now - the more I feel trapped by daft regulations and silly rules. I lived in France for a good bit of my adult life, where the food is treated with much more respect than in the UK. For me the Bradley and having a crack at the recipes in this forum is only 50% to do with eating better food - the other 50% is not being told what to eat by some multi national conglomerate that wants me to eat low quality crap meat pumped full of god-knows-what and sausages made with "mechanically recovered meat" (turns your stomach, doesn't it?) -it's just my way of regaining a bit of control. Looking at the forum posts there are a few people who feel the same, so maybe being a rebel isn't so much of an embarrasment to my children afer all!

Thats my rant for the day!

Steve
legionnaire158
Registered Member

Postby Fatmat » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi,

I'm very much a newbie, but I am doing lots of experiments at the moment. I don't have a fancy smoker - I have a steel sports locker. My experience to date tells me that it's more art than science. There seem to be a whole pile of things that come into play - The average temperature on the day, humidity, the stuff that you are smoking, the wood you are using and your mood.

I've not managed to make anything nasty yet (although I'm sure that it will happen at some point).

Do some experiments and see if you like the results - then adjust timings etc... accordingly. All I can say is that I was really pleased with my first experiment and that my experiments are getting better.

I hope that this helps,

Mat
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby legionnaire158 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:01 pm

Hi Mat,

thanks for replying. Just when I thought it was going to be easy, I'm going to have to wait six months until the planets align and I'm in a good mood......

Having read and re-read a lot of the posts here, I think your'e right, there seem to be so many variables. I make my own beer as well, so I'm just following the same rules, total cleanliness, best quality ingredients, and advice and recipes from people who know the subject better than me.

My plan is to season and then test run the bradley on my 4.5k bit of bacon late next week. If it goes well - (fingers crossed) - I'll let you know. I notice you're in Pompey - I'm only in Southampton so if all goes well and you fancy dropping in for a bacon sarnie and a fiddle about with the bradley you're very welcome

Steve
legionnaire158
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:04 pm

legionnaire158 wrote:Hi Mat,
Having read and re-read a lot of the posts here, I think your'e right, there seem to be so many variables. I make my own beer as well, so I'm just following the same rules, total cleanliness, best quality ingredients, and advice and recipes from people who know the subject better than me.
Steve

Steve

Do that and your sure to succeed

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Steve, if you are using a Bradley, a lot of the guess work is sorted, it's more down to how you like the end product. Once you've done your first smoke you'll know whether to do longer or shorter next time.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Ianinfrance » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:49 am

Hi Steve,

Why do you think we moved to France (smug grin!)? Seriously, welcome to the forum from someone who has never smoked anything!! However I have read quite widely, and I remember seeing something that is worth mentioning.

When you have finished curing the bacon, wash it well. dry it and leave it uncovered on a rack in the fridge to form a pellicle (a sort of skin that forms on the surface as the meat dries out) before you smoke. The smoke adheres better and the meat tastes better for it apparently.

I do this before brushing with liquid smoke (not yet having been able to persuade the finance minister that a Bradley smoker is indispensable) to make my bacon a bit smokier. I find that in my ventilated fridge, it takes a good 24 hours. In one without fan circulated air, it could well take a couple more days.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:02 am

legionnaire158 wrote:

I make my own beer as well

You're not on your own, there are a few of us from this forum on here.. http://www.lartigiano.co.uk/Homebrewing/index.php? Feel free to join in!
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby Fatmat » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:32 pm

I notice you're in Pompey - I'm only in Southampton so if all goes well and you fancy dropping in for a bacon sarnie and a fiddle about with the bradley you're very welcome

Steve, many thanks for your offer. I'd love to have a fiddle with your Bradley. You are also very welcome to come and admire my sports locker - I have some sea trout smoking at the moment - ready for testing tomorrow.

Mat
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:39 pm

Hey Steve,

Ian wrote:
Why do you think we moved to France (smug grin!)?

Steve, Don't let him pull the wool over your eyes! When Ian heard that 90% of all crimes occur around the home, he moved.

Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Next

Return to Beginners