American Breakfast Sausage and Apples

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

American Breakfast Sausage and Apples

Postby Epicurohn » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:35 am

I make American Breakfast Sausage links for sale and a client asked me the following:

"Can I fry the sausages (out of the casing) with apples, freeze it and reheat it 3 days latter for breakfast?"

This is part of a big breakfast spread for 20 people at a beach house with a very small kitchen. Client needs to pre-cook as many dishes as possible. My quesion is will the pre-cooked sausage and apples keep well? Any discoloration on the apples, sausage, etc.?

Thanks,

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:41 pm

David,

It's difficult to say. There's certainly no problem refreezing a sausage (even if made from frozen meat) when it's been cooked.

As to the apples, my experience is that it depends on the variety; some go brown as soon as you look at them!

As apples cook so quickly, can't he add them at the end?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: American Breakfast Sausage and Apples

Postby mitchamus » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:01 pm

Epicurohn wrote:I make American Breakfast Sausage links

want to share the recipe ?? (please?) :wink:
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:33 am

The original recipe was from Rytek Kutas´book. I made some adjustments form tips from this and other Forums, and from customer suggestions. It might seem over spiced, but it´s needed when using pork raised in the tropics which tend to have a strong flavor:

270gr Salt
35gr Black pepper
6gr Cayenne
20gr WhitePepper
25gr Sage
3.8gr Ginger
7gr Nutmeg
4.5gr Mace
4gr Thyme
30gr Sugar
700ml Water
150gr Rusk

American Breakfast sausage has less ginger than English banger. I like this trait better when using it for making stuffing.

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:16 pm

I saw an article somewhere, they used some asorbic acid diluted in water then soaked the apples in that for a while the asorbic acted as an anti oxidant.Googe it see if you find something on that.
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:52 pm

Epicurohn wrote:270gr Salt
35gr Black pepper
6gr Cayenne
20gr WhitePepper
25gr Sage
3.8gr Ginger
7gr Nutmeg
4.5gr Mace
4gr Thyme
30gr Sugar
700ml Water
150gr Rusk

Awesome! thanks David! I've been looking for something like this...
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:46 pm

Zulululu wrote:I saw an article somewhere, they used some ascorbic acid diluted in water then soaked the apples in that for a while the ascorbic acted as an anti oxidant.Googe it see if you find something on that.

I buy ascorbic acid for peanuts 1 kg at a time from winemakers suppliers here in France. So it's WAY cheaper to use than lemon juice, and I find it changes their flavour less than lemon too. So whenever I'm dealing with any fruit which tends to go brown and oxidise quickly, I dissolve 1/4 tsp or so in a couple of litres of water and peel and cut the fruit straight into that. Actually it works for jerusalem artichokes and salsify and any vegetables that you want to keep white too.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:00 am

Well there you go thanks for that Ian have been meaning to follow up on that.Costs an arm and a leg from the health shops here will see if I can't get a supply from the Cape thanks for that tip. :)
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:04 am

Epicurohn ,
Is that recipe for 10Kg's meat?
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:42 am

Sorry about that Zulululu. It´s for 30# of meat. I use a 30% Fat content for this formula.

I haven´t seen Ascorbic Acid down here, I´ll check. But I got Citric Acid on hand. Would that work?

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Never tried citric, I get ascorbic from a health shop try that.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:13 pm

David, It might well work, but you will get a citrus taste, so you might as well use lemon or lime juice, which is not necessarily a bad thing...
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Ianinfrance » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi David,
Epicurohn wrote:I haven´t seen Ascorbic Acid down here, I´ll check. But I got Citric Acid on hand. Would that work?

David

I doubt it. Ascorbic acid (you may JUST be able to get it under the common name of Vitamin C) is a pretty powerful anti-oxidant. It's not very acid. Citric acid is the acid that goes to make lemons and other citrus fruits sharp, I don't think it is an anti-oxidant, but it does have a fairly powerful taste.

Sorry not to be more positive. That said, I've never tried either in curing, to my knowledge.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:36 pm

He wants to use it to stop apples going brown, alongside, not inside the sausages IIRC.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby captain wassname » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:51 am

David: probably a bit late but when you said sausage out of the casing did you mean as sausage meat with apple; or sausage with apple as a side.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general