good beginner kosher sausage link recipe/method?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:54 pm

Hey, please respect danpeikes religion, I'm sure he respects yours.

I know we've had other members whose faith is such that they don't eat pork and they have made fresh sausage successfully. The merguez being a classic example. I don't see why those from Devro that Oddley's posted should't be fine, although I would be tempted to add a rusk/filler and water if you're worried about them being too crumbly.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:00 am

I respect his religion! By all means! However, I'm still free to express my opinion that these dietary rules are illogical and ancient. If his reasons were not religious you wouldn't have reacted like that, right? Is religion taboo or immune to critisism? Shouldn't dietary issues be discussed?

BTW, I was the first one to propose merguez for him!
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Nutczak » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:12 am

Grisell, Maybe you just do not understand the religion and why certain items that most people accept as food are off-limits.
Yes I agree that pork production has changed over the years and trichinae parasites are virtually abolished in commercially raised hogs these days.
But the ban on the consumption of pork has a little bit more history to it than just that.

Grisell, I also agree with that there is just no substitute for many items, just like a vegan wanting a vegetarian sausage in a casing, it just is not going to happen.

I do not fault the guy for wanting to try to have a real sausage, and at the same time adhering to his religion.
There are several kosher sausages available, but as I stated before, most are cured and smoked to overcome the downfalls of not using any pork products.
I think a sausage without pork is very doable, no, it will not be an exact duplicate of pork-based sausages, but close is better than nothing.
Nutczak
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:23 am

I'll reply tomorrow - I'm tired now.

However, I should stress that my moderation still stands.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:59 am

grisell wrote:I'm still free to express my opinion
Correct, but please don't insult someone's cultural or religious beliefs uninvited.

grisell wrote: If his reasons were not religious you wouldn't have reacted like that, right?
Correct, there are plenty of forums out there for denigrating someone's deep seated religious beliefs, this is not one of them.

grisell wrote: Is religion taboo or immune to critisism?
If someone wants to discuss it in Chatter, and it doesn't get offensive, possibly. Illogical and outdated probably wouldn't be a good place to start though.

grisell wrote:Shouldn't dietary issues be discussed?
Of course, we have a whole forum for dietary chat.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby grisell » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:21 am

Yes, the more I think about it, I have to admit that it was wrong of me. This on the grounds that it is the wrong forum. He said that he's strictly kosher and that pork is excluded. Discussing religion is not a subject on this forum.

I'm sorry for this and I hope he accepts my apology. I hope I haven't offended anyone.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby danpeikes » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:12 pm

grisell appology accepted.
danpeikes
Registered Member

Game Plan

Postby danpeikes » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:25 pm

Back to the task at hand. I have two lamb breasts AKA bellies, AKA the fatty floppy piece of meat that hangs off the ribs. I spoke to butcher and he said it should be OK to grind for sausage if I trim out some of the fat(there is a lot of it). After I trim and debone them there should be about 4.5 lbs (about 2Kg). I only have a cheap manually grinder/stuffer that I bought from a sporting goods store. I only think I have a single plate, although I have 2 plastic stuffer tubes. I plan on putting it through once to grind then adding the spices (blend TBD) and then a second time to stuff. I will be stuffing it into plastic casing as natural and collagen casings are nearly impossible to get kosher. I will then be poaching them in 180F (About 80C) water for about 3 min to set them. I would like to smoke them but not sure if I will be able to as I live in an apartment (AKA Flat). I have some Prague Powder #1 in house should I add it? If so how much? Any suggestions, comments, advice, or constructive criticism is welcomed. Thanks in advance.
danpeikes
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:30 pm

can I suggest the merguez recipe here...it's really lovely and I make it once a month, in sausage, burger and kebab forms...it's well worth it. The burger and Kebab forms overcomes the casing issues. I made loads of it and freeze it for later use. By the way I use lamb breast for this along with other bits and pieces of the lamb when I get my lambs from my brother's friend who has his own flock.
Hope this helps.

John

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=2035
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby danpeikes » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:56 pm

johnfb wrote:can I suggest the merguez recipe here...it's really lovely and I make it once a month, in sausage, burger and kebab forms...it's well worth it. The burger and Kebab forms overcomes the casing issues. I made loads of it and freeze it for later use. By the way I use lamb breast for this along with other bits and pieces of the lamb when I get my lambs from my brother's friend who has his own flock.
Hope this helps.

John

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=2035

John looks good but why 1/2 lamb 1/2 beef? Just wondering
danpeikes
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi Dan
I think it is just this recipe, possibly because lamb is expensive and the beef bulks it out or perhaps it is the real recipe but I NEVER make it 50/50, I always use 100% lamb, it tastes amazing, even if you hold back a kilo (2.2 Lbs) of minces lamb and make up some of this blend, make it into burgers and try it out. Well worth it.

john
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:03 pm

OK I've had a scout around!

Sausagemaker sell kosher collagen casings:

http://www.sausagemaker.com/27801vegeta ... s23mm.aspx

It would be worth checking with them if other sizes they sell are kosher. They also have sheep casings, is it OK if they're just not from a 'banned' food, or do they actually need some form of certification?

For recipes and other things these may be of use:

http://www.silverbrowonfood.com/silverb ... and_m.html

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=21844

http://www.bigoven.com/104366-Kosher-Cr ... ecipe.html

What is heksher? I saw it mentioned elsewhere?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Nutczak » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:53 pm

DanPeikes,

I am not ripping on our choice of religions with my comments, so please do not take it that way. Just stating observations while with friends that are Jewish.

Most of the Jewish people I know only eat kosher during Seder dinner, and they also have the general joking attitude that pork is acceptable as long as it is Bacon, Chinese or Italian food. I get a good laugh about it with them.

Whenever I catch them eating pork, shellfish, or dairy with beef, I make it a point to say something as a joke like "oh, that must be the new kosher-pork you're eating?
the reply I usually get is " just don't tell the Rabbi"

I think the 7th Day Adventist religion has very similar food rules as eating Kosher. This is only hearsay, because I have not researched it.

Do you have a good Gefilte fish recipe you could share with us? I loves me some Gefilte fish if it is done correctly and made without bottom-feeding fish like carp and suckers as seen in the commercial brands.

For you UK guys, I know you love your carp and I do not mean to offend you guys by calling the carp a garbage fish, but in the states it is seen as nothing more than a nuisance fish with zero value as table fare.
I have smoked and eaten carp that have come from clear waters, but I avoid them fully when they are taken from muddy rivers and other less than pristine waters.
We commonly see carp in excess of 20KG around here.
Some communities have "Carp Shooting Competitions" with archery equipment, you are judged by total tonnage you bring in during the allotted time, then the carp get weighed, and disposed of as fertilizer in farmers fields.
Awards are for largest carp, and highest aggregate weight.

There is a huge $1,000,000.00 Hook & line carp fishing tournament on an east coast river that is usually won by 2 guys from the UK.
You guys are the carp-fishing masters from what I hear. I have read about the specialized gear and techniques. I do like the way they fight, I'll give you that as a plus.
Nutczak
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:19 pm

Nutczak

We're not big carp eaters here, in fact, I don't think I've ever seen it in the fish mongers. It may be more available now particularly in Eastern European communities as I believe that they eat it at Christmas in some Eastern European countries.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:46 pm

Probably 99% of freshwater fishermen in the UK only do it for sport, they never eat their catch and usually put it back.

I don't understand this myself...
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners