good beginner kosher sausage link recipe/method?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:58 pm

You would if you tried to take one - the fishery owner's 12-gauge up the left nostril often causes offence! :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:00 pm

:D I would only freshwater fish if it was clear I was allowed to eat the catch...

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby danpeikes » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:26 am

wheels wrote:OK I've had a scout around!

Sausagemaker sell kosher collagen casings:

http://www.sausagemaker.com/27801vegeta ... s23mm.aspx

It would be worth checking with them if other sizes they sell are kosher. They also have sheep casings, is it OK if they're just not from a 'banned' food, or do they actually need some form of certification?

For recipes and other things these may be of use:

http://www.silverbrowonfood.com/silverb ... and_m.html

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=21844

http://www.bigoven.com/104366-Kosher-Cr ... ecipe.html

What is heksher? I saw it mentioned elsewhere?

Phil

Phil the word heksher or hechser can be used in many forms kind of like the word barbecue. It generally pertains to kosher certification, the organizations that provide kosher certification, or the symbol on a products packaging indicating that is certified kosher by a specific organization. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.
danpeikes
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:45 am

Thanks,

Have we progressed any further to helping you with your problem?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby danpeikes » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Nutczak wrote:DanPeikes,

I am not ripping on our choice of religions with my comments, so please do not take it that way. Just stating observations while with friends that are Jewish.

Most of the Jewish people I know only eat kosher during Seder dinner, and they also have the general joking attitude that pork is acceptable as long as it is Bacon, Chinese or Italian food. I get a good laugh about it with them.

Whenever I catch them eating pork, shellfish, or dairy with beef, I make it a point to say something as a joke like "oh, that must be the new kosher-pork you're eating?
the reply I usually get is " just don't tell the Rabbi"

I think the 7th Day Adventist religion has very similar food rules as eating Kosher. This is only hearsay, because I have not researched it.

Do you have a good Gefilte fish recipe you could share with us? I loves me some Gefilte fish if it is done correctly and made without bottom-feeding fish like carp and suckers as seen in the commercial brands.

For you UK guys, I know you love your carp and I do not mean to offend you guys by calling the carp a garbage fish, but in the states it is seen as nothing more than a nuisance fish with zero value as table fare.
I have smoked and eaten carp that have come from clear waters, but I avoid them fully when they are taken from muddy rivers and other less than pristine waters.
We commonly see carp in excess of 20KG around here.
Some communities have "Carp Shooting Competitions" with archery equipment, you are judged by total tonnage you bring in during the allotted time, then the carp get weighed, and disposed of as fertilizer in farmers fields.
Awards are for largest carp, and highest aggregate weight.

There is a huge $1,000,000.00 Hook & line carp fishing tournament on an east coast river that is usually won by 2 guys from the UK.
You guys are the carp-fishing masters from what I hear. I have read about the specialized gear and techniques. I do like the way they fight, I'll give you that as a plus.

You can make it with whitefish and Pike instead of carp. I don't have any good recipes personally as I am not a fan of it. Think of it as a fish meatball. Grind and bind with starch and eggs. Many people grind in onions and carrots into the mix and some people add sugar. Roll into balls and boil along with carrots, onions, and seasoning.
danpeikes
Registered Member

Postby danpeikes » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:45 pm

wheels wrote:Thanks,

Have we progressed any further to helping you with your problem?

Phil

You all have been great help. I am hopind to get to grinding and stuffing and poosibly smoking next week. Should I hot smoke or cold smoke them?
danpeikes
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:21 pm

That's somewhat dependent on what you make, but hot smoking is the most common. By hot smoke though it doesn't mean hot-hot. They are started off at a very low temperature and gradually the temperature is increased over a number of hours. The temperature of the smoker should only be a little above the temperature of the sausage to avoid the fat running out.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby danpeikes » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 pm

wheels wrote:That's somewhat dependent on what you make, but hot smoking is the most common. By hot smoke though it doesn't mean hot-hot. They are started off at a very low temperature and gradually the temperature is increased over a number of hours. The temperature of the smoker should only be a little above the temperature of the sausage to avoid the fat running out.

Phil

Phil if I hot smoke what temp whould I get the smoker up to? What should the final internal temp be of the sausage?
danpeikes
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:37 pm

I'd use wittdog's method here:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=1953

Or very similar, it gives the general idea - you will obviously choose your own 'end' temperature based on what is safe for the meat you are using.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby danpeikes » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:08 am

So from link above:
Place sausage in smokehouse preheated to 120F. Keep for an hour or until casing are dry.
Gradually raise temp of smokehouse to 165F Apply heavy smoke for about 4hrs.
Continue to cook sausage until the sausage's internal temp is 152F
Remove from smokehouse and cool with cold water until internal temp is 110F Allow to bloom till desired color is reached.
Place in Fridge overnight. Then cook or vac pac.

It looks like most people say ground lamb should be cooked till 160. I would likely pull it at 155 and let it carry over. I think preheating to 120 and slowly raising to 165 sounds about right but I don't actually know.
danpeikes
Registered Member

Postby danpeikes » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:33 am

They came out pretty good for a first try. A little to spicy and a little fragile with some cracks from where I had some air pockets. I had some pictures but apparently they looked so good the camera ate them. I par cooked them to set them in the plastic casings. I did not cure or smoke so froze them until I will cook them fully later with the exception of the one test sausage I ate for dinner. Not bad for a beginner with Kosher restrictions.
danpeikes
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:29 pm

That's brilliant, and now you have the basics sorted, you can adjust the ingredients to get it just how you want. Watch out though, it can become an obsession!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby tristar » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:10 am

Daniel,

I guess you have taken note of the warning from Wheels!

Here is a link to my Blog, none of my recipes contain pork.

http://nungkysman.wordpress.com/

Despite what some people say, it is possible to produce good sausages without the use of pork, however, it takes a little more care in the production process, one of the biggest issues is keeping everything cool, close to freezing in fact. If you add any liquids, do so in the form of shaved or finely crushed ice, this helps greatly, also ensure that you work the forcemeat until it becomes sticky, this will ensure that your fats are bound into the meat proteins, to ensure your sausages remain juicy.

I recently made a batch of sausages, using cheap forecuts of lamb, sold here in Norway to make "Fårikol" a lamb and cabbage stew.

Fatty lamb, garlic, salt, ground black pepper, finely chopped fresh rosemary and lightly toasted pine nuts, stuffed into sheep casings! A friend who had never had homemade sausage before, was totally shocked and in awe at the explosion of flavours and the texture, as he bit into the sausage.

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:36 am

Well done Richard, and others, who have extolled the virtues (and unique qualities) of the non pork sausage.

Daniel, there are loads of great recipes and Richard seems to be the perfect adviser (I hold my hands up to have 'borrowed' various recipes from his blog!).

A beef or a Lamb sausage should not be viewed as an attempt to mimic a pork sausage, they are things of great beauty in themselves!

La'Sovah and bil-hanā' wa ash-shifā! :D
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:57 am

at least ham is Kosher :lol:

on a serious note there would be concerns with mixing dairy and meat so that would include lactic maturation and the cheese and chicken sausage
Snags
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners