Black pudding (sausage)

Recipes for all sausages

Black pudding (sausage)

Postby Vernon Smith » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:30 am

The end of an excellent pig for me is always black pudding. The bones and hair are the only parts I don't use. The lungs and large intestines feed my dogs and they have a good chew on the bones too.

Anyway, the Forum recipe that I think originated from Oddley is my favourite and I always make at least 4 kg pudding from 3 litres of blood I save from each pig. I freeze the blood with salt and a touch of KNO3 so it keeps for several weeks. I always reserve some back fat too.

I think fresh blood is still available in rural UK by special order from butcher's shops or abattoirs but fortunately I don't have that problem here in the Solomons. I then make 2 kg at a time at my leisure. Filling casings is a pain so I use a 2 kg rectangular container and steam over simmering water for 3 hours. This might be the lazy way but it saves on casings that are hard to come by here. A rectangular black pudding that can be cut in thick slices is much more convenient, eaten either cold or fried, depending on personal preference.

If anyone hasn't tried to make a black pudding yet, I strongly recommend you do. It is very tasty and another interesteing facet to sausagemaking. A photo of the pudding I made yesterday appears below. It looks maroon in colour rather than "black" but that is a result of the nitrate. In the tropical Solomons where refrigeration is uncertain I always use a trace of KNO3 for safety. It doesn't alter the flavour of the pudding or any of the sausage I make.

If anyone has a different recipe I would be interested to try it.
My recipe is as follows:

1.5 ltrs blood
400g oats
600g boiled barley
500g back fat
400g bread
1 ltr milk
2 tbsp mixed herbs
1 tsp chili
1 tsp mace or nutmeg
2 tsp salt (optional)

All the best,
Vernon
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby Wal Footrot » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:39 am

How did you get on with making saveloys?
Wal Footrot
Wal Footrot
Registered Member

Postby Vernon Smith » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:23 am

Sorry Wal, I tried one or two lots without much success. I have been too busy since with ham, bacon, proscuitti, sausage - including salami, brawn, etc. etc. I should have another go but I don't have access to cheap beef. I seem to recall that savs are mixed beef and pork. Am I correct?

Anyway, I can ask Bruce Wills at Orange Farm Supplies for a Savaloy mix. That might be the way to go for me. I gave up maxing my own flavourings because Lesnies sausage meals, through Bruce, are so GOOD and so cheap. Perhaps I can try again next time I order. Have you any other ideas? You are the savaloy guru.
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby Shanghai_Chris » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:20 am

Pardon the ignorance Vernon, but no meat in the black pudding ?
Shanghai_Chris
Registered Member

Postby Mrs. Northerner » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:36 am

That looks delicious Vernon. I would love to give it go, but I think the rules and regulations are even stricter here in Oz so I wouldn't know where to start sourcing it!
Mrs. Northerner
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:39 am

Shanghai_Chris wrote:Pardon the ignorance Vernon, but no meat in the black pudding ?

I have added small pieces of bacon to a black pudding, traditionally thoough I believe it is just blood.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby federico » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:04 pm

:D Hello every one, this is my first post so I´m not very good at it yet,but I´ll get better,no doubt. Im from Córdoba,Argentina, and wanted to add some to Vernon´s black pudding. Here we prepare it adding 1 cup full of boiled pig skins and jowls well boiled to tender and also can add the pigs tong boiled,peeled and diced small,about 1 cm. square. Try it ,I´m sure you´ll like it. :D
Practice makes perfect
federico
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Federico, I trust we will see some genuine Argentinian sausage recipes from you? Enjoy the forum.

Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby federico » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi Tristar,thank you for tour wellcoming reply. We do have some old family recipes that I´ll translate and post as soon as possible, I´v been quite bussy lately,I decided to go back to school (college) last year and it takes a lot of my time but I´ll do it. Promised. :roll:
Practice makes perfect
federico
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes