Heart, liver, kidneys & uses in sausages ?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Heart, liver, kidneys & uses in sausages ?

Postby Don Logan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:30 pm

So guys and gals (and those yet to decide) are there any nice snorkers I can make using the above bits ?
All from venison and no, I can`t use the lights as they tend to come off worst.

Many thanks you knowledgable ones :D
"As a youth I used to weep in buthers shops !"
Don Logan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:12 pm

I can't think of a sausage but venison haggis or faggots may be OK.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Ianinfrance » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:35 pm

Don,

I don't know if this is any help, but when I get half a pig, I add these bits to shoulder to make into a coarse country style paté, which I can up in 280 g tins.

I also make a venison (red deer) terrine with a mixture of pork belly and shoulder venison, and I can't see any reason why the offal shouldn't go in too. However the offal shouldn't dominate.

Certainly that's what I'd be inclined to do in your shoes.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby dave zac » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:29 am

I made a lovely Braunschweiger Liver sausage last year and intend to do it again very soon. Recipe calls for pork liver and pork snouts, however I used venison liver, pork liver, venison heart, and beef tongue.

For 10 lbs sausage-
2 cups non fat dry milk or soy protein concentrate
5 Tb salt
2 Tb onion powder
2 Tb powdered dextrose
2 tsp insta cure No. 1
1 Tb ground white pepper
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/2 tsp ground marjoram
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
5 lbs pork liver
5 lbs pork snout
(substitute 10 lbs organ meats)

grind all meats through a 1/4" plate several times. Mix all ingredients. Stuff into casings.

place Braunschweiger into cooker with water pre heated to 180F. Water temp will drop to 160 - 165. Continue cooking until internal temp reaches 152. After cooking place sausage into container filled with ice and water and cool as rapidly as possible for 1 -2 hours.

Remove from water hang on sticks. You may shower Braunschweiger with hot water for 30 seconds to remove surface grease. Hang at room temp for 1 hour or until dry. Remove to 115-120 F pre heated smoker. Apply heavy smoke at this temp for approx 3 hours or until desired color is obtained. After smoking shower with cool water for about 5 minutes. Let dry and remove to fridge overnight.

From Rytek Kutas' Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing

Enjoy!
dave zac
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:54 pm

Nice one Dave - I don't know where my brain was when I replied - there's loads of liver sausage recipes out there that you could maybe try/adapt for venison. :oops:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:41 pm

Nice recipe. I've been looking for a liver sausage recipe for years. Will try this. Does it have to be dry milk? Can I use ordinary milk?
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi there Grisell,

If you look at the suggested substitute, I think it's likely that it should be the powder - you don't have trouble getting it in Sweden do you?

Nice looking recipe btw Dave. I wish I was more confident about curing..
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby JollyJohn » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:17 am

I've got a big bag of frozen liver, and some belly pork in the freezer, I might have a go at this. It will be a good one to try out my new ProQ cold smoke generator.
JollyJohn
Registered Member

pork liver

Postby clpeters » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:51 am

I am in FL and am wondering where to get pork liver? I just made beef/pork sausage with all fresh herbs I grew and it tastes awesome. Not bad for a newbie if I do say so myself, LOL. I broke in my new Kitchenaid I got for Christmas from my hubby.
Cyndi in FL
clpeters
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:20 am

Welcome to the forum Cyndi,

Well done on your first success, can't help you with the pork liver unfortunately. How about posting your recipe and some photos?

Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

First attempt/success

Postby clpeters » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:08 pm

I didn't take any pictures :? I will next time! LOL
Cyndi in FL
clpeters
Registered Member

Postby Seven Trees » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:13 am

I'm very new to sausage making, and hoping to try this recipe with the heart & liver from my pig. Should I add any other meat to balance out the organs?
Seven Trees
Newly Registered

liver

Postby dorsets21 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:53 pm

i've make heart& soul sausage's 80%pork the rest made up of tongue,heart,kidneys,liver i only put a small % of liver as it has a very strong taste, 8) cook add salt & pepper to taste cook up let go cold eat like pepperoi or slice thin to top pizza it is better cold 8)

ps it freeze will but vac pack
ask the question? where does my food come from
dorsets21
Registered Member

Return to Beginners