Turning a walk-in fridge into a curing room

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Turning a walk-in fridge into a curing room

Postby arielschor » Tue May 25, 2010 3:37 am

I recently became co-chef of a restaurant in my city. The two of us split the duties of running a 220 seat restaurant that serves refined casual fare with some high-end ingredients. We have both always had the same dream of being able to cure salumi and dry-age beef in a professional environment. Due to our re-structuring in the kitchen, we now have the possibility of turning our smallest walk-in refrigerator (approx 10'L, 6'W, 8'H) into an aging or curing room. I understand that these processes require specific sanitary controls, and that is something that I have to speak to our local health authorities about...but i'm mostly curious to see if anyone has done this, and has any advice on the matter.

Ariel
arielschor
Newly Registered

Postby BriCan » Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 am

I have not done it per say with a cooler, done it with a reefer trailer inside a building. :D

I run my cooler at work (very much the same size as yours) as a drying room. Aging beef try and get the temperature down to 30 deg F. (right on the freezing point) believe it or not this is a better temp than the 32 deg. they call for. Also this is also a good temperature for drying salami and such. If you are making your own salami, Schinken and such you will need a separate room to do the initial first stage drying. Make the salami, cold smoke for six hours, place in room with 75% humidity and 65 deg F. for one to two days then transfer to cooler/aging room..

HTH
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby DZimmerman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:05 am

I am the chef of a steakhouse at which we dry age some of our beef. BriCan is right for temp 30-32 works just fine. Also we installed anti-bacterial UV lights. This does wonders.

I also just recently converted one of our wine cellars into a salumi room. i keep the temp at 60f and rh% 65-68 its been working great.

My suggestion is to go to a local restaurant supply store or refrigeration company, and ask if the have any old reach in's. I got an old one for free and converted it to a proof box with terrarium equipment. All in all cost like 180 dollars. ill post some pics.
DZimmerman
Registered Member

Return to Beginners