dry cured sausage with mold 600 results

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

dry cured sausage with mold 600 results

Postby delprete » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:59 pm

I pulled and packaged my dry-cured sausage which I'd inoculated the other day with mold-600.

The mold had grown well over the sausages and formed a thick covering. I can maintain ideal temperature in my drying room but humidity control is a bit challenging and can be lower than ideal making the process laborious.
This was a tough year and I couldn't get the humidity up to where it needed to be and thought that case hardening was inevitable. I checked the sausage regularly and could clearly see that the case hardening was never occurring. I also noticed that it was taking longer than usual for the sausage the fully cure. When I pulled them the other day they'd been hanging at least 6 days longer than usual and though they felt right I was worried that they'd over-dried. I did cut a couple open earlier and noticed that they were far from over-dried. The final result is perfect and as evenly "dried" as I've ever seen. I'm attributing this to the mold-600 since I did read that it helps to prevent case hardening. As far as taste I still have to wait a bit longer as it ages to tell for sure. My initial impression is that the mold influences the sausage some. The flavor seems to be a bit mellow and I'm not sure that that's a good thing yet. It definitely did a great job of keeping rogue molds away, and in an environment of lower than ideal humidity it seemed to be a big factor towards success.
delprete
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Sounds like a success to me. Congratulations! :D Pictures?

PS I agree on the mold playing a great role in the flavor.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:26 am

Once the weather warms up and the curing fridge gets back into the swing I must try this.....tbh I should just put a heater in the fridge as well.....
Richierich
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques