White sausages

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

White sausages

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Hello all. How can I make cream coloured/off white sausages? I checked around and found that weisswurst are made with pork/veal mix. It doesn't make much sense ti me as both kinds of meat are pinkish.
As always thank you.
Regards
Massimo Maddaloni

P.S. Thank you Tristar. I pulled the bresaola off the casing and, actually, there was a film of moisture that didn't look too healthy. I hung it in a net. I hope it won't dry too fast in this dry air: when it's below zero C I can still hang my clothes dry in 4-5 hours.
Massimo Maddaloni
No one knows more than all of us (quoted from Zulululu)
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Hey Massimo look at this thread and see if anything is what you're looking for.
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... white+hots
Pork and veal will both be more gray then pink if you don't cure it.
I'll be doing a bockwurst recipe found in Rytek Kutas's book tomorrow with a few adjustments... thats what we consider a white hot here in Central NY.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Weisswurst also has powdered milk in it which helps a bit.
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:09 am

Fresh Weisswurst looks like this:

It turns white after it is poached (170F 15-20 min.). I like it in sheep casings since it has a very delicate flavor. After it is poached, I vac. pack it so I can just brown it for breakfast. Eggs, toast and Weisswurst - it what's for breakfast. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby tristar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:01 am

The colour is very dependent on the colour of the veal, my own weisswurst never come out white, despite using fresh cream and eggs, they always come out grey looking and I think that this is due to the fact that I only use Rose Veal. I was thinking about adding chicken meat to the mix next time to see if that helped.
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:27 pm

mine turn white ater they are cooked
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:43 pm

tristar wrote:The colour is very dependent on the colour of the veal, my own weisswurst never come out white, despite using fresh cream and eggs, they always come out grey looking and I think that this is due to the fact that I only use Rose Veal. I was thinking about adding chicken meat to the mix next time to see if that helped.

I think it’s all down to your 'spice' recipe. I never use veal, cream, or milk powder and they always come out white. :D :D :D
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:01 pm

BriCan wrote:
I think it’s all down to your 'spice' recipe. I never use veal, cream, or milk powder and they always come out white. :D :D :D

And I though at least a minimum of 51% Veal meat, was one of the defining features of Weisswurst ?
tristar
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:23 pm

tristar wrote:The colour is very dependent on the colour of the veal, my own weisswurst never come out white, despite using fresh cream and eggs, they always come out grey looking and I think that this is due to the fact that I only use Rose Veal. I was thinking about adding chicken meat to the mix next time to see if that helped.

Mine never come out white either. I agree - it's down to the Veal.

I've never seen proper veal here in Australia - not that I'm complaining.
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:30 pm

tristar wrote:
BriCan wrote:

And I though at least a minimum of 51% Veal meat, was one of the defining features of Weisswurst ?

One word answer no. :)

Mainly pork and to a lesser extent beef and veal (in that order), the latter for binding purpose only.

To make them white use lemons :) :)
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:23 am

Those look gorgeous! :drool:

I don't know how a person can eat loads of pork and still be hungry, but that's me... :wink:
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:15 am

BriCan wrote:To make them white use lemons :) :)

Hey Robert any chance you could explain the lemon thing? I'm making some bockwurst in the morning and lemon zest is one of the ingredients, But I'm thinking you're talking lemon juice.
Thanks, Dan
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:33 am

BriCan wrote:
tristar wrote:And I though at least a minimum of 51% Veal meat, was one of the defining features of Weisswurst ?

One word answer no. :)

Mainly pork and to a lesser extent beef and veal (in that order), the latter for binding purpose only.
:)

That is a very definitive statement Robert, simply "no"! And as much as I defer to your experience I have to say that you are wrong.

Any research on the internet will clearly show that Weisswurst are a veal based sausage, and not a pork based sausage:http://www.perob.com/pages/index.htm?page=/pages/munich-weisswurst-sausage.htm
tristar
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 pm

I don't know about other countries but Swedish veal just tastes like water so whenever there is veal in a recipe I use pork.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 am

DanMcG wrote:]
BriCan wrote:To make them white use lemons :) :)

Hey Robert any chance you could explain the lemon thing?

The short answer is – No, I wish I could. :cry:

If you look at the whole picture one can narrow things down (being a sausage maker is one thing, being a scientist is another which I am not). The heading was Weisswurst
and How can I make cream coloured/off white sausages? I checked around and found that weisswurst are made with pork/veal mix. It doesn't make much sense ti me as both kinds of meat are pinkish.

If you make Weisswurst out of mainly veal with cream when cooked/pouched all one will get is a regular sausage (colour wise), the same would be if you used strait pork or a combination of meats. The dominant factor for producing the colour white in/of the sausage is lemon.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon#Culinary_uses

The fruit is used for culinary and nonculinary purposes throughout the world – primarily for its juice, though the pulp and rind (zest) are also used, mainly in cooking and baking. Lemon juice is about 5% to 6% (approximately 0.3 M) citric acid, which gives lemons a sour taste, and a pH of 2 to 3.

Citric acid is a weak organic acid. It is a natural preservative and is also used to add an acidic, or sour, taste to foods

Looking at this it proves my thoughts of the acidity of the lemon is the key factor for the colour change :?

DanMcG wrote:I'm making some bockwurst in the morning and lemon zest is one of the ingredients, But I'm thinking you're talking lemon juice.

No, we just cut three lemons in four and toss them in the cutter, the smell is addictive and one cannot wait until they are cooked.

Recipe is a plain and simple one:

We use pork picnic (top part of the shoulder) and belly trim
20g salt per Kg of meat
3 lemons for 30 – 35 kg of meat
1 ½g white pepper per Kg of meat
½g ginger per Kg of meat
½g mace per Kg of meat
parsley flakes

HTH
BriCan
Registered Member

Next