Swedish Falukorv

Recipes for all sausages

Swedish Falukorv

Postby grisell » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Maybe the most famous and definitely the most sold sausage in Sweden. Known for its low price, this is staple food among Swedish students. The commercial variety contains a lot more water and potato starch than this recipe does. Protected by Swedish law, it must contain at least 45 percent meat which is not much...

It is a cervelat style sausage found in varieties all over Europe. Traditionally, it was invented in the town of Falun in the province of Dalecarlia in the 17th or 18th century. The mining industry there used cowhide ropes in the mines which provided a surplus of meat, and German workers teached the Swedes how to make sausage out of it. The sausage made its commercial debut in the 1890s when the company Melker's started its manufacturing in Falun. The sausage was then christened Falukorv which literally simply means 'Falun Sausage'. Melker's recipe is still a secret, but the taste of this one is very close to the original. Originally, the sausage contained beef and veal, but nowadays pork substitutes veal. A cure can be added for a nicer color.

Recipe

1 kg trimmed lean pork (or veal)
1 kg trimmed lean beef
500 g pork back fat
50 g salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
200 g onion
½ tsp grated nutmeg
2 tsp powdered ginger
2 tsp ground white pepper
150 g potato flour (starch)
300 ml ice cold water
100 ml Liquid Smoke (if not smoking), otherwise water

All the ingredients must be ice cold. Grind beef, pork and onion very finely. Mix with water, potato starch, spices and smoke extract (if using). Mix thoroughly until emulsified. Then add finely ground back fat and continue mixing. Keep the mixture ice cold all the time. Stuff loosely into beef middles or 72 mm/3" artificial fibrous casings.

If smoking, hot smoke for one hour at 80 C/176 F. Then poach in 80 C/176 F water for 45 minutes. Chill under running water and refigerate for max one week, or freeze.

If using smoke extract and not smoking, poach in 80 C/176 F water for one hour. Chill under running water and refigerate for max one week, or freeze.

Serving suggestions

Fried, with fried or scrambled eggs:

Filled with cheese and mustard and baked in the oven with tomatoes and onion (sorry for the bad focus):
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:28 pm

Thanks Andre. :D Perhaps johnfb could add this to the recipe sticky?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:31 pm

Does it eat cold as well? Or, does it have to have a second cook?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:05 am

It's poached, so it can be eaten cold and 'raw'. Small children often prefer it that way, e.g. on toast. However, its flavours come through better if fried or baked in the oven. It's mildly spiced so don't expect any aroma explosion in your mouth. Naturally, the home-made variety is far better than the commercial stuff.

Personally, it's not a favorite of mine since I got OD'd during childhood. The most repulsive dish, served often in school, was Korv Stroganoff, i.e. beef stroganoff with Falukorv instead of beef and with béchamel and ketchup instead of cream and tomato purée. Yuck! Disgusting if you ask me. :( Anyway, along with Isterband ( http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=5813 ) and Prinskorv ( http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... 02&start=4 ), Falukorv is one of the most typical representatives of Swedish sausages and immensely popular. Nine million Swedes can't be wrong, or can they? :wink:
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:26 am

I somehow missed this one. Thanks for the recipe and the history lesson André. I'd like to give this one a try.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:27 pm

NCPaul wrote:Thanks Andre. :D Perhaps johnfb could add this to the recipe sticky?

Will do.

One I will make myself for sure...very shortly.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:11 am

johnfb wrote:
Will do.

One I will make myself for sure...very shortly.

It will be interesting to hear what a non-Swede thinks about it. :)
André

grisell
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes