Basic Italian sausage recipe

Recipes for all sausages

Basic Italian sausage recipe

Postby jlijoi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:38 am

I am planning to make homemade pork sausage for mothers day. I am looking for a great recipe for the basic sweet italian sausage with fennel. Does anyone have a good one to share?
jlijoi
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:42 am

Have sold this in my shop for over twenty five years, I made a combination of a couple of old recipes; a hot Italian with a sweet Italian.

I have taken it down to a pound of meat with spices equivalent to that in grams as my batches are some what larger than you need at the present :lol: just multiply the amount of spices by the amount of meat used.

1 lb Pork shoulder
2.25 gm Chillies (red chilli flakes)
2 gm Black Pepper
1.5 gm Coriander
4.25 gm Salt
1.75 gm Sugar
0.5 gm Caraway ground
1.5 gm Fennel ground

Grind meat with course plate, mix spices in a bowl and dust over course ground meat. Mix by hand until spices are evenly mixed (two minuets at the most, do not over work). Regrind with a medium plate and stuff into 29/32 hog casings or equivalent.

HTH
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:59 pm

BriCan wrote:Have sold this in my shop for over twenty five years, I made a combination of a couple of old recipes; a hot Italian with a sweet Italian.

I have taken it down to a pound of meat with spices equivalent to that in grams as my batches are some what larger than you need at the present :lol: just multiply the amount of spices by the amount of meat used.

1 lb Pork shoulder
2 gm Black Pepper
1.5 gm Coriander
4.25 gm Salt
1.75 gm Sugar
0.5 gm Caraway ground
1.5 gm Fennel ground

Grind meat with course plate, mix spices in a bowl and dust over course ground meat. Mix by hand until spices are evenly mixed (two minuets at the most, do not over work). Regrind with a medium plate and stuff into 29/32 hog casings or equivalent.

HTH

Thanks BriCan. Ive made Italian a couple of times and was not really pleased with the recipe. I'll give this one a try next.

Any chance you like to share a polish or bratwurst recipe? Im still searching for good ones for them also.
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:39 pm

Vindii wrote:Any chance you like to share a polish or bratwurst recipe? Im still searching for good ones for them also.

With over 12000 recipes it might take me a bit to find, but will look up.
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wnkt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:46 am

Ill have to give this one a try as well.
This the HOT Italian I assume? What is the difference in the sweet?...no red chilli flakes?
wnkt
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:56 am

wnkt wrote:This the HOT Italian I assume?

No, this is a combination of a hot and sweet Italian recipe. In the shop I had a hot Italian sausage as well as a mild one (a recipe given to me by a friend whose father’s family used to make it up around Genoa), had a customer come in one day and asked if we made a sweet Italian sausage that had a bit of a zip to it and if not why not. Up for a challenge I came up with the above.

wnkt wrote:What is the difference in the sweet? No red chilli flakes?

Two totally different combinations, other people will have different recipes/ combinations;

Sweet Italian; salt, black pepper, fennel and sugar (white)

Hot Italian; salt, black pepper, fennel, caraway, coriander, chillies

HTH
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Scotty2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Sorry, BriCan, but a "hot" italian sausage would imply that it had it's roots in the south, Campania-Calabria. Caraway is used in a small are of only one region in northern Italy. There is no caraway used in the south. I would use fennel, hot pepper, salt and black pepper only for "hot" Italian.
Scotty2
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:36 am

here is my version, make it hot or mild to your liking by reducing the chile pepper.

Italian Sausage

15lbs. Pork butts
4 Tbs. Salt
1 1/2 Tbs. Sugar
1 1/2 Tbs. Ground Coriander
1 1/2 Tsp. Fennel Seed, ground
3 Tsp. Black Pepper
1 1/2 Tsp. Ground Caraway
1 liter Dry red wine
6 Tbs. Crushed Chile Pepper (optional) 3Tbs. for mild
3Tbs. Paprika
½ Tsp. Granulated Garlic
Grind meat through a Medium plate. Add wine and spices, mix well. Stuff in natural hog casings. Refrigerate overnight to blend in the spices.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Tue May 03, 2011 2:52 am

BriCan wrote:Have sold this in my shop for over twenty five years, I made a combination of a couple of old recipes; a hot Italian with a sweet Italian.

1 lb Pork shoulder
2 gm Black Pepper
1.5 gm Coriander
4.25 gm Salt
1.75 gm Sugar
0.5 gm Caraway ground
1.5 gm Fennel ground

HTH

I made up 5lbs of this over the weekend. Sample patty came out good. Had a good bit of zip to it. It was too hot for the wife but i really liked it.

Whats the reason for grinding it twice?
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue May 03, 2011 9:06 am

Vindii wrote:
I made up 5lbs of this over the weekend. Sample patty came out good. Had a good bit of zip to it. It was too hot for the wife but i really liked it.

You could tone down the chillies to 1.5 gm per pound

Texture and the other when re-grinding the spices get well and truly mixed :D :D

By the way them there snorkes sure look great even good enough to eat. :lol: :lol:
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Tue May 03, 2011 2:58 pm

BriCan wrote:
Vindii wrote:

You could tone down the chillies to 1.5 gm per pound

Texture and the other when re-grinding the spices get well and truly mixed :D :D

By the way them there snorkes sure look great even good enough to eat. :lol: :lol:

After weighing all the spices I ground them in my spice grinder to mix the up. You don't suppose grinding up the red pepper flakes changes the heat level at all?
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 pm

Vindii wrote:After weighing all the spices I ground them in my spice grinder to mix the up. You don't suppose grinding up the red pepper flakes changes the heat level at all?

Chilli flakes I leave whole, don't think grinding up's the heat
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby dave zac » Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 pm

Vindii wrote:Any chance you like to share a polish or bratwurst recipe? Im still searching for good ones for them also.

Simply the best. Made this for Easter...what a treat.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4788
dave zac
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Fri May 06, 2011 2:33 pm

1 lb Pork shoulder
2 gm Black Pepper
1.5 gm Coriander
4.25 gm Salt
1.75 gm Sugar
0.5 gm Caraway ground
1.5 gm Fennel ground

HTH

Just wanted to say thanks again for this recipe. Cooked some last night and they are great. Perfect combo of heat and sweet. I'll make these again in a larger batch.

Vindii
Registered Member

Italian

Postby snagman » Tue May 17, 2011 7:38 am

Vindii,

How about the rest of the recipe ? I see you have thin potato slices there, a sauce, a gherkin......the raw onions i get .....

Thanx in advance !
snagman
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes