how to make Kasseler German Smoked meat?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

how to make Kasseler German Smoked meat?

Postby Yojimbo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi everyone,

(copy paste from other member post but modified a little, but we have a same question)

I would like to try making my own kasseler (german smoke pork loin). I tried to search kasseler posts and recipe but I cant find a way to search topic titles only so a search for kasseler give a bunch of results.

Is there a basic "how to" for making kasseler step by step from preparation until smoking method? Something simple for a beginner?

Many Thanks...

Regards:
Yojimbo
Yojimbo
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:45 pm

I have not got my recipe with me but take a look at this

HTH

http://www.delmarlearning.com/companion ... 20Loin.pdf
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Here is what I do

get some boneless pork loins and cut into easily handled chunks

make a brine of 1 cup coarse salt, 1 cup brown sugar, cure#1 and 20 cups cold water.

inject some brine into the loin chunks and then place in the brine. keepin the fridge for 7-10 days.

remove from brine and pat dry, place in a 120 F smoke with the vents wide open and no smoke for 2 hrs to dry the loin chunks

raise temp to 175 and apply smoke , I use maple wood. Smoke until internal temp of 150 F

cool and refrigerate over night.

cut into chops, package and freeze or eat.

Last edited by Big Guy on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Yojimbo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:31 am

Many thanks to you BriCan and Big Guy, your information is pretty helpfull!
Thank you very much !
Yojimbo
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi Big guy,
really useful, 'cos I love Kasseler.

I live in France, so would have no trouble with your recipe (I'd just sub in our "sel nitrité" for your salt and cure #1) however for places where they only get cure #1 at 6% nitrite, could you please say how MUCH Cure you use. You give good quantities for salt & sugar.

make a brine of 1 cup coarse salt, 1 cup brown sugar, cure#1 and 20 cups cold water.

inject some brine into the loin chunks and then place in the brine. keepin the ridge for 7-10 days.

Yummy pics too.
Last edited by Ianinfrance on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:33 pm

Ianinfrance wrote:Hi Big guy,
really useful, 'cos I love Kasseler.

I live in France, so would have no trouble with your recipe (I'd just sub in our "sel nitrité" for your salt and cure #1) however for places where they only get cure #1 at 6% nitrite, could you please say how MUCH Cure you use. You giave good quantities for salt & sugar.

inject some brine into the loin chunks and then place in the brine. keepin the ridge for 7-10 days.

Yummy pics too.

for the cure it depends on how much meat and brine solution, they reccomend 1 tsp of cure for every 5# of meat and brine. so if you had 15# of meat and 10# of brine ( 1 gallon) you have 25# total and would need 5 tsp of the cure.

enjoy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:52 pm

Big Guy wrote:for the cure it depends on how much meat and brine solution, they recommend 1 tsp of cure for every 5# of meat and brine. so if you had 15# of meat and 10# of brine ( 1 gallon) you have 25# total and would need 5 tsp of the cure.

enjoy

Brilliant, thanks very much. Most helpful.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:42 am

one more question to you guys...

this week i plan to make a kilo of kasseler but i didn't have any meat net (and pretty hard to get it in my country) and barbeque rack in my house, only my 60 x 60 x 150 centimeter my home made smoke house with a dowell just like this one
Image.

so.. any suggestion about how to hanging the meat without any meatnet? or there's some items can substitute the meatnet to hanging the pork loin?

Regards:
Yojimbo
Yojimbo
Registered Member

Postby solaryellow » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:20 am

If the dowels are spaced far enough part you can place some racks on top of them. That is what I do with mine and it works well.
solaryellow
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:20 pm

you need a rack, the only thing I smoke on dowels are sausages, everything else gets put on a stainless steel rack.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:38 pm

Maybe one from an old cooker?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Vindii » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Ive never heard of this before. It sounds interesting. So I would assume that you would still cook it before serving it? If so would you grill it like a chop or steak?
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:20 am

they are fantastic on the grill and very nice pan fried, even good baked. As they are already cooked you only need to heat them through.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby jaymo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:02 am

Could you use a product like Tenderquick in place of the cure #1 for the brine? Just curious since TQ contains both nitrite and nitrate in small amounts.
jaymo
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:12 am

You could use tenderquick but you have a lot of calculating to do. I think they reccomend 1 Tbs for every # so for the cure part of the 25# of meat and brine, you need 25 table spoons of TQ. which is roughly 80% salt and 20% sugar. you will have to figure out how much salt there is in 25 TBS and how much sugar then add the correct amount of each to get the proper brine strength.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Next

Return to Beginners