More Indian food...

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

More Indian food...

Postby grisell » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:09 am

Here's Yesterday's dinner. Sabzi Shorva (cauliflower and carrot soup), Khombi Tarkari (mushrooms with ginger and chili) and Madras Beef Curry. The Madras curry is from our fellow member johnfb's blog http://propereatingbetterliving.blogspot.com/ and I will post the other recipes later (I don't have them here right now).

André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:34 pm

André

I like the sound of the mushrooms - can you post the recipe please?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Here are the recipes. They come originally from Mumtaz Paan House in Bradford, England and are published in the Swedish book Indiska Kokboken. I have changed them slightly. A thicker variety of the soup can be used as a very tasty sauce.

Sabzi Shorva

Ingredients (serves 4):

3 tbsp ghee
2 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 tsp black cumin
3 carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small head cauliflower, chopped
1 potato, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
250 g green peas
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cardamom seeds
1-1½ litre chicken or vegetable stock
4 tbsp yoghurt
½ lemon, juice of
Salt, pepper

Heat the ghee in a pot. Add the mustard seeds and cumin and fry for a few seconds. Then add carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Sautée for a few minutes. Then add the rest of the vegetables, the rest of the spices and enough stock to cover the vegetables. Add 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft. Mash the vegetables with a ladle (or run very quickly in a blender - the soup should not be smooth). Add more stock if the soup is too thick - it will probably be. Bring to a boil again. Then add yoghurt and lemon and remove from heat. Adjust seasoning and serve.

Khombi Tarkari (clearly influenced by the classic French dish Champignons à la greque)

Ingredients (serves 4 as a side dish)

3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 small hot green chili, finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric
750 g fresh mushrooms, whole
½ lemon, juice of
100 ml water
Salt, pepper
Fresh coriander, chopped (for garnish)

Heat the olive oil in a braising pan or skillet. Add the cumin and fry for a few seconds. Add the onion and sautée until golden. Then add garlic, ginger and chili and sautée for another minute. Add turmeric, mushrooms, lemon juice, ½ tsp salt and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to lowest and cover. Let braise for 5-15 minutes or until the mushrooms are done. Adjust seasoning, garnish with coriander and serve.

Note: There is no tomato in the recipe which I think is a typo. In the picture, there is clearly tomato and I think the dish would benefit from it. I will try next time with two chopped tomatoes that I will add together with the garlic, ginger and chili.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks Grisell
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:35 pm

You are welcome. The mushrooms are very nice either hot or cold, like their French counterpart.

PS The olive oil in the recipe is of course not traditionally Indian, but an explanation in the book states that olive oil has become increasingly popular in India lately, and I think it's really pertinent in this recipe.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks, talking of Indian recipes, this site's one of my favourite:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Cookery in general