Fermentation using f-lc?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Fermentation using f-lc?

Postby bratrules » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:29 pm

I want to make a a fermented chorizo but i dont have any ph test strips. i want to know what is the best way to tell if my sausage is fermenting? i will be using F-LC my fermentation temp is around 75- 78f degrees am using a mini fridge that i have converted to a curing chamber. am going to add salt water for humidity and i will hang a moist towel when i have to. How long should it take for my chorizo to ferment? i dont want it overly sour!!!!

thanks in advaced!!!
"sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand"
bratrules
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:17 am

I am probably not the best one to answer this, all I can say is that I ferment overnight [about 12 hours] before cold smoking for 8 hours.

As for the sour flavour I never get any :lol: probably due to the fact is that because all I use is red wine, :D this way I get a true [IMO after sampling too many in Spain] flavour of the meat and spices.

There will be others along to help
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby bratrules » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:52 am

What kind of red wine do you use? and how much? also if am running a test batch of sausage lets say about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds how much F-LC should i add.

thanks again
bratrules
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:01 am

bratrules wrote:What kind of red wine do you use?

I have been using a dry red wine that friends of my brother in law make [who are all Italians], any dry red wine will do as long it is not some cheap plonk but nor does it have to be expensive. :lol:

and how much?

I do between 250 - 300 ml [it depends on how moist the pork is, feels wet I use 250ml; if it feels dry then I use 300ml. So from the numbers below -- 2 1/2 pounds = 100ml. 3 pounds = 85ml both these number I was using the 250ml number.

also if am running a test batch of sausage let’s say about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds how much F-LC should i add.

That's what I was saying, I do not use it or any other, the wine dose it for me, my spice combination is as follows: Salt, cure, white pepper, paprika, crushed chillies, oregano, garlic, red wine. That's it.

As I said, there will be other along to help you. Wheels has a couple on his site;
http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=518
http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk?e=415
http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=529

HTH
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby bratrules » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:17 am

i think i might just omit the bactoferm for my first batch and give it a shot with some red wine. but i would like some more opinions if anybody has some i would appreciate it!! And thanks BriCan for all the info it really helps
bratrules
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:22 am

bratrules wrote:i think i might just omit the bactoferm for my first batch and give it a shot with some red wine. but i would like some more opinions if anybody has some i would appreciate it!! And thanks BriCan for all the info it really helps

As said there will be someone along soon, Wheels is a good egg and really really worth listening too, I fink ezs bin around the block a few times, just don't let on I sing his praises :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby bratrules » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:32 am

cool thanks for the info
bratrules
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:41 pm

your final "sourness" [ph] ought to depend on the concentration of fermentable sugars in the recipe. the rate at which you get there would depend on the ambient temp and on the strain of lactobacilli used. if you follow a recipe, i do not know why you would need ph strips.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby bratrules » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Am not really using a concrete recipe its just base off other ones i seen online. well all the recipes that used most any kind of starter have 48 hour fermentation time that's what am going to do. see how it turns out am using F-LC at 75-79f at 80-95% humidity. Am just a bit nervous since it my first time making dry cured sausage am sure when i get the hang of my system it will ok :D its just like when i started brewing i want to make sure i had everything to a T now i can just relax and brew with no problems.
bratrules
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques