Chicken Pine Nut and Spinach Sausage recipe request

Recipes for all sausages

Chicken Pine Nut and Spinach Sausage recipe request

Postby irisb » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:35 am

I recently returned from Australia and had the best chicken pine nut and spinach sausage and I got them from several sources, but took them back home to cook. They varied very slightly in spices stength and spices used, but were all very similar.
I have since returned to the US and am looking for a similar recipe to make my own. I also am curious as to locating a supplier for casings, and am also wondering which would be the best to use in this type recipe? I live in the southeastern US.
I have the kitchen aid mixer and plan on buying the mincer attachment and tube attachment for the casings.
irisb
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:06 am

good to have you here. Just my $0.02 I would get a real stuffer and a grinder, Northern tool has a decent grinder for $99 and a small 5# stuffer for the same money. They will work a lot better than your kitchen aid. Imho it would be a waste of money to get the KA attachment. Although you can stuff sausage through a grinder it can be a very frustrating proposition, a propper stuffer makes it a lot easier. Check out either Butcher packer.com (detroit) or the Sausagemaker.com (Buffalo) for quality cases and supplies.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:28 pm

wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:13 pm

This combo calls for nutmeg and a touch of mace, in my opinion.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby wnkt » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Depending on where you live, buying casings at a store might be a problem, I havent found anything locally. I did find some at Bass Pro Shop....it was quite a drive for me but they had some, they also have stuffers and grinders.
Online stores are an easy way to go. I have bought some supplies from LEM.
There is also Butcher Packer.
And there is Sausagemaker.com.
wnkt
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:30 pm

if this is your first batch, just go and ask at your local butchers for some casings.

he should be happy to give you (or sell for about $2) a couple of yards of casings... enough for your first batch, especially if you get a couple of kilos of chicken off him at the same time...

if he won't... try another butcher! :D

The casings cost 50c per kg of final sausage (thick)..
so don't let him tell you it's an arm and a leg.
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby irisb » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks for all the assistance I have gotten so far. I am so jealous of you guys who have butcher shops! Since I live in the country, I only get the processed, pre-packaged meat, that is sent to the stores for selling...
irisb
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Denco offers a Spinach & Pinenut Sausage Meal for commercial producers in Australia. A picture of the package may be found at
[url]
http://www.denco.com.au/141198/SPINACH- ... -KG/pd.php[/url]

Description: A unique seasoning meal for those who like to try something different. Chopped spinach, garden herbs and whole pinenuts give this sausage meal an exciting yet distinctive flavour and texture.

I've blown up and enhanced the image of the package to disclose the ingredients. The list is on a curve in the package and some of the percentages and characters in parentheses are impossible for me to make out. Listed in order, the ingredients are:

Rice Flour, Salt, Pinenuts (12%), Flavour, Dehydrated Vegetables (includes Spinach -?-%), Sugar [appears to be 4.8% from nutritional data], Peanuts, Mineral Salt (?45?), Flavour Enhancer (?2%), Soy Protein Isolate, Preservatives (223), Herbs

1.25 kg of this sausage meal mixed with ice water per 11.25 kg of meat and fat.

I don't know how representative this is of the Spinach & Pinenut Chicken Sausage seasoning in Australia, but I've yet to find any listings of ingredient labeling or even a mention of content, anywhere else. Hope this helps.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Nice work Tom, I tried blowing up your pic but I couldn't add to any of the things you couldn't see. I does sound like a nice recipe.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby irisb » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:07 am

Rice flour, woud be used as a binder, I guess. For me it is not a commonly used product. I do have access to an organic market that should have the rice flour. Is it feasible to blend rice flour in a blender, or food procesor fine enough to be of use in the sausage? I was wondering about the blending if I was unable to locate it in my area, and thinking the texture may decrease from actual rice enough to produce close to a flour or even a meal-like texture?
irisb
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:21 pm

I would guess that rice flour is used instead of an alternative as it is gluten free. I think that you could probably substitute it with cornflour, potato flour, tapioca flour, or even plain wheat flour.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:36 pm

wheels wrote:I would guess that rice flour is used instead of an alternative as it is gluten free. I think that you could probably substitute it with cornflour, potato flour, tapioca flour, or even plain wheat flour.

It’s been a hard/long night and I might not be firing on all cylinders; nay I never fire on all and then yet again I was never the sharpest knife in the box but this sure slapped me between the eyes. From what little research and reading that I have done (not much) I seem to recall somewhere in the mist of what I call my mind (?) that wheat was a grain and thus was not gluten free......... I will stand corrected as you can see by the tag line

Back to the salt mines or as this day foresees the black pudding pot :roll:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:19 pm

Wheat flour isn't gluten free, but will have a similar effect on sausage as the (gluten free) rice flour.

I assumed from irisb's question that they aren't specifically looking for gluten free but just need a replacement for the rice flour. :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:19 pm

irisb wrote:Rice flour, woud be used as a binder, I guess. For me it is not a commonly used product. I do have access to an organic market that should have the rice flour. Is it feasible to blend rice flour in a blender, or food procesor fine enough to be of use in the sausage? I was wondering about the blending if I was unable to locate it in my area, and thinking the texture may decrease from actual rice enough to produce close to a flour or even a meal-like texture?

I've never been able to achieve a good flour texture grinding rice in a blender or food processor (grinding rice for medieval recipes). The pieces are irregular in size, from very fine and flour-like to very coarse grit. I think it would take repeated sieving and a very long time to grind enough rice to a flour-like texture in a blender. Finding rice flour would be easier. You should check oriental groceries, as well as health food/organic groceries. On-line ordering is also an option.

Except for one, mint-green sausage that seemed to be using fresh spinach purée, most of the Australian spinach and pinenut chicken sausages I found offered on the web seemed to be advertised as gluten-free. I thought that was interesting.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Recipes