glass front curing chamber

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

glass front curing chamber

Postby ulikabbq » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:46 am

I have a True - GDM 28 glass front refrigerator that I am working on turning into a curing chamber. The question I have is, should I tint the glass if it is going to be in a lighted basement?

here is a little picture of it, but it is 28 cubic ft
ulikabbq
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:33 am

Normally, the glass will stop the harmful UV radiation, but it probably depends on the glass. Wine coolers are tinted for that reason so yes, I recommend you to tint it. UV light can promote rancidity but I'm not aware of what doses are necessary and how big a problem that is with charcuteries. Of course you should disconnect the inside light too.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Is the light from the internal bulb really going to make that much of an impact. Same with the basement....is the light only on occasionally or is this a finished basement that'll be lit fairly constantly?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:39 pm

Oh yes! Suppose the internal light is 25 watts and the cooling unit 95 watts (that's the case in one of my small refrigerators). 99 percent of the power from a light bulb consists of heat (95 from a low-energy lamp). That's a lot to cool down (not to mention the double extra elecctricity cost of the light plus the additional cooling work) and the reason why the light shuts down when the door closes in household refrigerators.

Also, the direct thermal radiation from the light can make a major part of the fridge unsuitable for drying/curing.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:46 pm

I see (literally). I originally viewed this topic on my iPod and didn't see that the light was always on with the door closed.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:20 pm

I'd cover the glass (brown paper and blu-tack at worst!) and disconnect the bulb. Not because of the heat, but because the light can send fat rancid.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ulikabbq » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:20 pm

The light on the inside of the cooler has an on/off switch so that is not an issue. The lights in the basement stay on most of the time so it looks like I will need to put a good tint on the glass.
ulikabbq
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies