Hutterite/Mennonite Pork Sausage

Recipes for all sausages

Hutterite/Mennonite Pork Sausage

Postby Dogfish » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Just wondering if anyone has the recipe for both basic and garlic Hutterite/Mennonite pork sausage. I've got a lead on sows out to 350 kg at $1.40 per kilo, for sausage making, but don't know the recipe.

The sausages are 1.5 inches thick and are in long links; most people in Western Canada should know what I mean; also known as farmer sausage.
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Dogfish

Welcome, it would be nice if you could update your profile to give at least a general area you are in, Canada tends to be a tad large and who knows we might just be neighbours :lol:

I do sometimes use the pre-mixed spice I get from Suffers Supplies

http://estores.wws5.com/stuffers.com/we ... t=SEMOMENO

or I more than likely use the recipe below which I got from my late German friend, I normally cold smoke mine but you can hot smoke if you like

HTH

Farmers Sausage
8kg pork shoulder/picnic
3.5kg beef trimmings (lean)

Spices
230g salt
30g cure
25g sugar (white)
40g white pepper
6g caraway ground
3g cardamom ground
6g mace ground
6g coriander ground
6g cayenne
45g paprika
35g garlic
3oz of good brandy (I do a good splash)
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks BriCan!

Formerly of Campbell River/Vancouver Island in general. Now in central Alberta north of Calgary.

I'd like to try this recipe as soon as I get a proper stuffer; I've arrived at the conclusion that a screw-type stuffer just wrecks sausages. Made 10 lbs of boudin that got literally turned to pudding when I stuffed the links -- what a pissmeoff. Yet when I try the mix before stuffing, it's perfect.
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Dogfish wrote:Thanks BriCan!

Formerly of Campbell River/Vancouver Island in general.

No the area well :lol:
Now in central Alberta north of Calgary.

There you go, who would have known -- we are neighbours :lol: daughter lives in Calgary and works at the University

I'd like to try this recipe as soon as I get a proper stuffer; I've arrived at the conclusion that a screw-type stuffer just wrecks sausages. Made 10 lbs of boudin that got literally turned to pudding when I stuffed the links -- what a pissmeoff. Yet when I try the mix before stuffing, it's perfect.

When one is starting out one has to be cautious about where they spend their money as the hobby is not for everyone. As they say -- with age comes wisdom :lol: :lol:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Glad to know! Sure miss the lakes/rivers over there, although I've lived out here a fair bit too. Nothing beats four salmon a day from a river that runs through town and eight groundfish per tide off a public pier...

I am definitely "into" sausage making but lack the cash to go big. I'm thinking of making a water-powered stuffer so I won't have to wreck more batches. There's nothing more annoying than a good tasting sausage with awful texture.
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:02 pm

Dogfish wrote:Glad to know! Sure miss the lakes/rivers over there, although I've lived out here a fair bit too. Nothing beats four salmon a day from a river that runs through town and eight groundfish per tide off a public pier...

Gawd almighty lad you have just ruined it :shock: there's going to an influx of them folks from the Mother Country after our fresh non farmed salmon :roll: :lol:

I am definitely "into" sausage making but lack the cash to go big. I'm thinking of making a water-powered stuffer so I won't have to wreck more batches. There's nothing more annoying than a good tasting sausage with awful texture.

Hopefully we can rectify that very soon :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Re: Hutterite/Mennonite Pork Sausage

Postby Swede » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:22 am

Hate to bring up such an old post, but I've been making Mennonite/Farmers sausage for a long time. Here's the traditional Manitoba recipe (my addition is the garlic because I like it, aside from that it's authentic)

For folks doing an internet search for recipes, hope this helps.

Farmer Sausage
Per 1 Kg pork
• 18.5 gm coarse salt
• 3gm black pepper
• 5gm minced garlic (fresh)
• 2.5gm cure # 1
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup cold water (start with 1/4 cup per kg and add more if needed.)

Chill cubed up pork pieces until almost frozen. Mince pork through 3/8” plate.

Combine water, salt, cure, and spices to dissolve. Pour over pork and mix well. Meat should be sticky which indicates proper mixing has been achieved.

Regrind through 3/8” plate and stuff 35-38mm hog casings.

Hang in smokehouse and dry for 20 min (casings not wet anymore). Apply heavy smoke and keep smokehouse BELOW 130f. You don’t want to cook the sausage, just keep the smokehouse warm enough to get good convection to carry the smoke through it quickly. Smoke with apple and/or hickory for 3-6 hours depending on how much smoke flavor you want.

Remove sausage from smokehouse and rinse with cold water.

Vac pack and freeze immediately.

This sausage is NOT cooked, you must cook it to a safe internal temperature prior to eating.
Swede
Registered Member

Re: Hutterite/Mennonite Pork Sausage

Postby DanMcG » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:46 am

thanks for bringing it back Swede. Your formula is what I'd call a farmer sausage, just basic pork sausage,
But BriCan's recipe sounds like something I need to try.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Recipes