Pork & Choritzo

Postby georgebaker » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:07 pm

Hi
500gm Pork
50gm Choritzo
50gm breadcrumbs
5 ice cube

Chop choritzo add to minced pork, mix, stuff

My OH thought they were about the best yet, I though some salt and pepper would have been an improvement

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:19 pm

George,
I presume you mean Chorizo, is it shop bought or homemade?

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:10 pm

Hi
thanks for the spelling.

Shop bought I am afraid, same brand as I bought in Spain so either good or lowest common demoninator (which I suspect)

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby corromant » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:16 pm

After seeing your recipe this was my attempt. Tasted dam good a definite do again.

Pork & Chorizo 1000gm pork
170gm Chorizo, mine came from Aldi
100gm breadcrumbs
120gm water
12gm salt
2.5gr black pepper
2.5gm white pepper
5gm paprika

Chorizo (skin removed) was minced along with the pork, then was everything mixed together till sticky & stuffed into hog casings.
corromant
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:34 pm

Actually, I must say this looks like a winner of a recipe...must give this a spin.
Thanks Guys for the inspiration.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm sorry. I'm not sure I understand. Are you using a store-bought sausage in the filling of a home-made sausage, or...???? :?
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby corromant » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:03 am

André,

As I only embarked on this sausage making malarkey a little over a month ago I am hardly likely to have produced my own chorizo and for the amount I would use in a year it would seen hardly worth the bother.

I had assumed this forum was for all levels of ability & not just for the experienced to look down there noses at a novices attempts.
corromant
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm not looking down on anyone. My apologies if it seemed like that. I just wanted to make sure I understood the recipe correctly. English is not my first language.
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:17 pm

corromant wrote:André,

As I only embarked on this sausage making malarkey a little over a month ago I am hardly likely to have produced my own chorizo and for the amount I would use in a year it would seen hardly worth the bother.

I had assumed this forum was for all levels of ability & not just for the experienced to look down there noses at a novices attempts.

I am making this today and will be using shop bought to combine the recipe. Will post my findings after.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:11 pm

I sincerely hope no one takes this as an offense.

How about food safety issues here? Is it a good idea to use a sausage "in a sausage"? To me personally it seems a little unsafe to take a product that has been ground, seasoned and stuffed, split it open, regrind, mix with fresh meat, season, and stuff it again. Am I wrong?
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:31 pm

grisell wrote:I sincerely hope no one takes this as an offense.

How about food safety issues here? Is it a good idea to use a sausage "in a sausage"? To me personally it seems a little unsafe to take a product that has been ground, seasoned and stuffed, split it open, regrind, mix with fresh meat, season, and stuff it again. Am I wrong?

Well I am having it for dinner so if I live it will be ok to eat. Made a small sample and it tasted great. Although I added 10grm of onion powder and 5 grm MSG.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby solaryellow » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Maybe I am missing something but if it was safe to eat to begin with how is it different than any other ingredient?
solaryellow
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:15 pm

solaryellow wrote:

Maybe I am missing something but if it was safe to eat to begin with how is it different than any other ingredient?

I just mean that it could add an extra potential source of infection. In any case, it should reduce the keeping properties. It seems intuitively wrong IMO. One issue could be the risk of botulism. There is no cure in the recipe. The store bought chorizo probably contains cure, that will be greatly diluted and lose its protective properties in the "new" sausage. This of course depends on how long one plans to keep the sausages.

I still don't understand why one would go through all that trouble instead of just adding more seasonings to the pork mince. Or have I missed something again? :? BTW, is that fresh chorizo, smoked or dried in the recipe?
André

grisell
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:24 pm

I diced 200grm of smoked chorizo in with the pork and cooked it as a meatloaf. Very happy with the results. I took some photos and will post when back on my pc as I am sending this from my phone.
Still alive as well, Andre :lol:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:53 pm

johnfb wrote:I diced 200grm of smoked chorizo in with the pork and cooked it as a meatloaf. Very happy with the results. I took some photos and will post when back on my pc as I am sending this from my phone.
Still alive as well, Andre :lol:

I don't doubt that. I still don't understand this though:

* Is it fresh, hot smoked, cold smoked or dried chorizo in the recipe?

* How is safety affected by the "re-usage" of sausages? What would be the maximum storage time of a "sausage-in-a-sausage"?

* Why grind a spicy sausage, mix with fresh ground meat and then season again when you can just season the ground meat and skip the ingoing sausage?
André

grisell
Registered Member

Next

Return to Sausage Recipes