White Hots (Rochester white hot dogs)

Recipes for all sausages

Postby DanMcG » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:17 am

Wow Tom sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad to hear you are doing better.
I for one will be looking forward to the fruits of all your book work labor.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi Vagreys,
So sorry to hear you have been ill, sounds like you have had a really tough time .Would love to read your writeup on sausage history I find it a rather facinating subject.Found an article on the web once where a group got together to try and replicate Roman sausages.
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Vagrreys

Sorry to hear that you have been so very ill. I hope that you are now on the way to better health. Your book project and research sounds of great interest, please let us have the details when it's published. I'm sure that there will be a ready market for it here.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:16 pm

Hope you make a swift recovery, I cannot wait to hear more about the book project.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Hope you are back sausagemaking soon...

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Tom,

Yikes! gertting the H1N1 right after all that is like a kick in the pants! Best wishes and hope for a if not a speedy recovery, a comftorable one.

Mike...
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:47 pm

While you are still on the book work - you wouldn't happen to have an authentic Linguiça recipe would you? :D
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:34 am

Tom, our thoughts and prayers are with you. With a heart attack AND a kidney transplant, I'm sure you doctor is going to "regulate" your sausage making, salt intake, etc., and all the fun stuff that you'll have to give up to keep the ticker ticking. Are you over the flu now? Stay healthy Tom, and let us know how you are managing with these trials. You've got a lot of friends out here wishing you the best!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Postby Bangermuncher » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:27 am

Speedy recovery Tom.
One of your recipes saved my sausage from being a disaster.
Take it easy mate and be well :)
Bangermuncher

Postby vagreys » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Chuckwagon wrote:Tom, our thoughts and prayers are with you. With a heart attack AND a kidney transplant, I'm sure you doctor is going to "regulate" your sausage making, salt intake, etc., and all the fun stuff that you'll have to give up to keep the ticker ticking. Are you over the flu now? Stay healthy Tom, and let us know how you are managing with these trials. You've got a lot of friends out here wishing you the best!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon

Thanks for all your thoughts, folks. I'm feeling pretty good, actually. I received my transplant in November, 2007, and it has been fantastic. After the transplant, I've had no dietary restrictions other than what I've imposed on myself to deal with the side effects of some of my meds. I follow a Mediterranean diet of my own device (well, except for my barbecue, of course). Fortunately, Chuckwagon, my doctors have told me not to change a thing about my diet! My heart attack was a result of long-term effects of a steroid I have to take as part of my anti-rejection meds. Fortunately, there was no long-term damage to the heart muscle. I will say that I wouldn't wish H1N1 on my worst enemy.

Mostly the events of October and November were more frustrating than anything else. After I get the hospital and doctor bills settled, then I have to pay for cardiac rehab, so money to spend on meat and top-quality back fat is going to be very tight. Still, once I've gotten more practice at emulsion sausages, I'll be good to go.

Look for a post on Androlla, Botelo, Butelo, Botello, Butello, Botiello, Butiello, Butel, Pigureiro, Vejiga, and Chorizo de Hueros, soon. In some cases, all the same sausage, but in other cases, all different!
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:37 pm

quietwatersfarm wrote:While you are still on the book work - you wouldn't happen to have an authentic Linguiça recipe would you? :D

How hot? From any particular location in Portugal?
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby quietwatersfarm » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:18 pm

Since you ask :D , I used to eat alot in Douro between Braga and Porto, but have never found a truly authentic rustic recipe.

We have a host of Brazilian friends and customers who buy a 'Brazilified' and a generic 'tipico' version when we make it, but I would love to get that real taste.

I think anise was in there :D
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Tue May 04, 2010 1:29 pm

Any new development on the White Hots...?

More of a bump for this recipe
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby SausageBoy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:15 pm

What became of the white hots project?

:D
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:38 pm

SausageBoy wrote:What became of the white hots project?

:D

As you've probably figured out, by now, I keep a number of irons in the fire. I work on one thing for awhile, then take a break and work on another project, get an idea and come back to try a different approach...

On the white hots, after getting to a pretty good idea of what a white hot is, I've worked a little on approaches to home emulsion sausage. I've tried running the batch through the 1/8" plate several times and that turns out a nice, fine texture, but it isn't an emulsion. My old Cuisinart DLC-7 Pro turns out a decent batter, but not ideal. I'm still working on my fat to liquid, because my small batch experiments don't always work - sometimes the emulsion breaks, and it feels like doing my first batch of sausage ever, when the fat smeared and I ended up with bags of styrofoam pellets instead of bratwurst. So, I'm gradually working toward a better emulsion.

My Buffalo friends have come to the conclusion that the white hots they like are neither bockwurst nor weisswurst, but somewhere in between, so that's where I'm aiming as I refine my recipe. I've decided I really like the lemon zest influence of weisswurst, but I like the onion/garlic balance with the mace that is more like the bockwurst. Because of my beef and cow dairy allergy, I can't use beef or veal, so I'm using a combination of pork shoulder, pork tenderloin and chicken thighs, which seems to be working; and, in place of non-fat dry milk, I'm using powdered goat milk (you may recall I solicited opinions about that substitution, and I have no idea how the fat content of the goat milk may be affecting things, since I've never done a sausage with non-fat dry milk powder).

So that's where things stand. Occasional small test batches, improving my emulsions, and tweaking the seasoning.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sausage Recipes