Bread storage

All about bread

Bread storage

Postby roger352 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:48 pm

What do you store your bread in. Plastic bags, wooden bread box, metal bread box or ceramic bread bin?.
roger352
Newly Registered

Postby RodinBangkok » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:19 pm

If your not using any preservatives, and your local air temp is low store in a semi open type container. Plastic bags fully sealed will help create an environment for mold, which is fresh breads worst enemy. Here in the land of very high temps and humidity, we find it best to bring to room temp then seal in plastic and place in the freezer. Storing bread in the fridge is probably the worst option, if you can't use it quickly, freeze. If you can't freeze and you need a preservative, use calcium propionate.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:43 pm

I tend to make bread to supply demand so don't store long term. I pop soft rolls in a plastic bag overnight and, in the absence of a traditional bread bin, just wrap crusty bread in a clean tea towel.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby salumi512 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Another option, if you are making a large batch of fresh bread, is to freeze the dough that you are not immediately going to consume. Dough freezes exceptionally well, then you let it thaw and do a final proofing before use.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:29 am

Subtropics here
We need to eat it in a few days or its mouldy,so its eat one loaf and fridge or freeze the other.
I usually leave the one to be eaten on the bread board wrapped in a tea towel.
I only bake on weekends when the power is cheaper (10c a Kw instead of 22 Cents)
We have 2 loaves and 2 pizzas and maybe some biscotti.
Probably only saves a few dollars a year but its become a tradition, same with vacuuming on the weekend too.
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:30 am

I make all our bread supply and store the loaves in a terracotta bread crock. Given that I make a loaf just about every other day, mould is rarely an issue. However, I have experimented with other storage, and when I am on my own demand goes down so I put the bread in a large plastic bag and keep it in the fridge. I find the bread keeps very well this way for a good week or so. I also use bread preserving bags sometimes. These are similar to the green stayfresh bags you can get for salad, veg and fruit (brilliant by the way), they are a creamy yellow colour and are especially good with French baguettes which go hard very quickly normally. I like gadgets, and a few years ago I bought a vacuum storge box recommended for bread or fruit and veg. You put the bread in it, switch on, and it pulls a vacuum. Works great, but, every now and again it refreshes the vacuum, very noisily, and usually in the middle of the night! So I had to abandon that after complaints from the family after being woken up at 3 in the morning.

HTH

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby bobqrublic » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:03 pm

I use this Bread BAG. My Bread last about 5 days on the counter before it starts to show mold.

http://www.amazon.com/Dalla-Piazza-Lustro-Bread-D3600/dp/B000FDDVEY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328202073&sr=8-2
bobqrublic
Registered Member

Postby Yannis » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:27 pm

I bake 4 kg each time and I keep 1/2 kg in food bags ("aromata" from lidl) to eat within a couple of days. I slice the rest and keep it in freezer. It is easier to thaw a few slices than a loaf or boule. As I keep the bread only for a couple of days in the bags I never have mould problem.
I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it. Mark Twain.
Yannis
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:49 pm

I usually cut my loaves in half and freeze one half but I find that my sourdough bread lasts about a week in a plastic bag in a metal bread bin, but you would only use it for toast after day 4 or 5. I also have bread bags from Lakeland and they keep bread quite well but we don't really need to use them with our sourdough.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Postby fatgit » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:25 pm

We bake a loafs every other day, sometimes every day and store them in the yellow bread bags (although the 99p store just got some bread bags in so we've bought a pack).
The bread never goes mouldy, but we do find it goes dry pretty quickly. I've been looking for a way to keep it moist.
fatgit
Registered Member

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:50 pm

Dry climate here in the Rockies. I wrap my loaves in a kitchen towel.
Massimo
Massimo Maddaloni
No one knows more than all of us (quoted from Zulululu)
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby SweetCharly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:38 am

I try and make loaves freshly every 2 days but if something is left over I store them in a wooden bread box.
SweetCharly
Registered Member

Postby homer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 pm

ok not replying to the question but im sitting here chuckling to myself at the replies..or more to the point where the replies are coming from
where else on the net can you get so many replies from such a wide range of countrys/continents..just amazing! :D
Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Postby Fatmat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm making bread daily at the moment. I find that if I bag my bread then the crust softens and becomes more chewy. I've started storing my bread cut side down on the bread board as this keeps the crust relatively crunchy overnight.
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Return to Bread Making